Aku Gurus: designing a shape from a copyrighted image

Been a while since I visited. I am not a shaper. I am not trying to sell anything. I have come to the conclusion that I don’t have the ability to design the shapes in my head in AKU. I’m okay with that.

So I’m asking for your help.

I know how many swaylockians feel about “stealing” other people’s shapes- In principle I agree. But I’m putting out the call to see if anyone here can- and will- whip up a .brd file for me based on a graphic in an old Surfline “design overview” feature. I just can’t seem to get the lines right on a “classic” twin-keel fish, but I found one here:

http://www.surfline.com/mag/features/anatomy/anatomy_flash.html

I am also attaching my best try so far. Eh. 

If the image is copyrighted, then I wouldn't print or save to file.  But they give the dimensions and supporting explanations, so I think you're safe to use what they give you.

Your deck is too straight from back to front - you need a little more "S-deck" going on there in your drawing.  Your rocker is flatter too - the numbers give it away.  Theirs is 1.35 and 3.4, yours is 1.0 and 3.25.  And you need to pull the nose in a little, yours is a bit wider and blunter than the surfline board.  They give the nose width at 12" back as 16 3/4", yours is almost 18" wide.

Sorry I don't do brd files, I don't even use computer to draw my boards.  But really, you just need to tweak what you have, you're not that far off.  This is a D-I-Y site, so, well, why not just D-I-Y?  You can do it!

Stretch the Lis Fish template a bit and adjust the rocker and thickness to your liking (page 61).

http://jfmillbiz.home.comcast.net/~jfmillbiz/swaylocks/Surfboard_Design_and_Construction_1977.pdf

http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/510-lis-fish

http://www2.swaylocks.com/comment/1298042/Re-bfrenck-Expanded-Lis-Fish-template

American Blanks Fish Rocker

http://www.segwaycomposites.com/AB60FH.gif

Have you tried using the “Ghost Board” feature? You can just put the picture of the board you want to copy behind your outline and then you just match it. It helps to use a ghost board photo of a board you know the numbers for so you can input the number before you start to match the outline. If you having problems matching the photo with the numbers you want on your board then the photo may be of a board to far outside of your numbers.

Also just do a google search for fish’s and then click “image” on the left of the screen. Then troll for an outline that you like, click on the photo and hope there are some detailed numbers attached to the photo. I do that all the time.

are you going to hand shape it or machine it?

Thanks for the replies, guys. Horsemouth and BG- I (incompetent) am not going to shape it. I’m going to turn it over to my shaper (very competent) to do it right.

Huck- I know it’s different. I’m just not adept enough with the design program to fix it myself and get it halfway right. That’s why I was hoping someone better could whip it up.

BillyWG- Thanks. I can’t seem to get the “image board” feature to work for me. And trust me, I have already spent WAY too much work time doing searches for images. Unfortunately, the one image that I like best (the one from the design page I linked) is not one I can copy and paste anywhere.

unclecharlie:

Your design is your design.

It’s not the exactly the same however it looks like it will work in the right conditions.

Give it to your shaper and have it made with your spec’s.

If you want the dimensions from your link let your shaper work it out.

You mentioned that you have a shaper.

Ask Him.

Give him the link as to what you want.

If he’s any good he can work it out for you.

Your are paying him are you not?

The link is generic from what I can see.

This took 5 minutes and it’s in Shape 3D.

Here’s a JPEG.

PDF as well.

The Shape 3D file I made is CNC friendly.

Kind regards,

surfding

Ps This is how it would look after it was CNC’d the Butt Crack and the Beaking of the Nose are necessary Hand Work.

Nice templates Surfding.  What program/software are you using to generate them?

Hi Bodhi:

I’ve been using SHAPE 3D for the last 7 years.

I don’t know AKU SHAPER.

Kind regards,

surfding

I like those templates too surfding.

Looks like the Surfline fish is a little wider at the tail tips, more like the Lis Fish (13" at tail tips).

I can widen the tail more like the LIS.

The tail is pulled in because I toe and cant the fins a bit.

With a wider tail more like the LIS the fins are set with no cant or toe.

The ones I do are easier to turn.

The original fin settings track .

Some surfers like the way they track.

Some like them to respond to rail changes.

The new fin systems make retro designs perform much better.

Back in the day it was mostly glassons.

Today with fin technology it’s limitless.

If the fin setting is without toe or cant then you will need more vee in the tail.

Basically the vee is your cant.

This would require no toe and no cant for the 70’s feel:

I like that new template.  Do you have it in a PDF file too?

If so, please post.

revised

Thanks.

OK there u have it 

the outline and the stringer (profile) - A4 paper  u just have to print it.

If u still need the brd file tell me.

By the way… i used BoardCad instead of aku shaper

Why don’t you just print the outline on  a roll so you don’t have to use A4 paper and piece it together?

Your adding a extra step?

Because i don’t have a rool printer … in europe we use A4 printers and definitely I wont pay to somebody to print it. It’s so easy to print it and then glue all the pieces together.

PD: Last time i saw a roll printer was 10 years ago

Ok, couldn’t resist. Tried to print it out at work. Couldn’t get it to work quite right. My receptionist yelled at me after the third try.

If you’re still offering to send a .brd file, I’ll gratefully accept.

Thanks

-Charlie

Shame on Uncle Charlie