Xylene -- Additive F?

Has Anybody used xylene (Additive F) with brands of Epoxy other than Resin Research (e.g. West Systems, et. al.) to improve sanding and prevent amine blush?

Are there negative consequences doing it?

I have a collection of various epoxies left over from the Channin years, I put alittle A-F in all of them, bought some  xylene last year to use as thinner, tried to thin pigment before adding it to RR, the 2 wanted nothing to do with each other, no dissolving at all, like oil and water. That’s how I learn, teeth marks in my ass

I've used Xylene mixed with parafin with SurfSource SS2000 resin. 

Some of those other resins won't need additive F and sand fine without it.  I've used Green Room and RAKA's uv resin and had good results with both,  but I switched back to RR for availabilty and great kick times.  When I need to thin RR for hotcoats, I microwave the resin for 20 seconds before adding the hardner, it goes on super smooth with no additives and if everything goes perfect, it looks like a nice gloss coat.

Xylene will improve the workability of the epoxy by decreasing its viscosity; although in large amounts it will increase the time it takes to harden, and xylene will eat styrofoam.  While there are other epoxies available RESIN RESEARCH is by far and away the best- all things considered.  Also the xylene stinks to “high heaven”, and is not the best stuff for you.  Really you negate the whole ‘green’ thing by adding an organic solvent like xylene to "Greenroom’ epoxy.

Its good I'm not worried about the "Green" thing.  Just want the best board I can produce given my abilities and workspace.  Its also the reason I went back to poliester this year.

I tried adding it to Greenroom epoxy and it didn’t really make a difference. I’ve had nothing but good results with their epoxy with no additives. A little heat and cleanliness are all that you need.

[quote="$1"]

Xylene will improve the workability of the epoxy by decreasing its viscosity; although in large amounts it will increase the time it takes to harden, and xylene will eat styrofoam.  While there are other epoxies available RESIN RESEARCH is by far and away the best- all things considered.  Also the xylene stinks to "high heaven", and is not the best stuff for you.  Really you negate the whole 'green' thing by adding an organic solvent like xylene to "Greenroom' epoxy.

[/quote]

i like this post,

xylene is extremely bad for you.

if you want a thinning agent use d.n. alcohol ....................

...........for sanding surfaces, try a pot scrubber and dish soap(with running water ,like a garden hose).........my fav dish soap is dawn for dishes.

but,........ah..........any soap will do.

herb

A quick search of the net for xylene alternatives bought up this. Absolutely no idea if it’s worth bothering with or not though…

Has anyone in California bought Xylene recently?  Last time (a couple of weeks ago) I checked  around San Luis Obispo no place had it.  All I heard was "California regulations."

john,

xylene has been off the shelves in cali for awhile now.

the last time i saw any was in az.

i've got about a pint left........................and use it carefully.

herb