Aloha Nooo, Robert "Sparky" Scheufele

Another Hawaiian shaper is lost to the big Kahuna. Harold “Iggy” Ige and now, “Sparky”. If you mentioned the name Sparky anywhere on the Island of Oahu, surfers knew who the conversation was about. Sparky and another surfer / Waikiki Beachboy / shaper, Joe Kitchens, started InterIsland Surf Shop years back. Joe, later moved here to Kaua’i and opened Progressive Expressions, in Koloa. I know some here, have had working / surfing relationship with Sparky.

Would be cool to hear some of your thoughts and storys about  this funny azz guy! He will certainly be missed by the local surfing community in Hawaii. He mow’d alot of foam for many folks, throughout his shaping, carreer.

Aloha Nooooo, braddah Sparky!

PPK

R - L  Bobby Cloutier, “Sparky”, Charley Galanto, Dennis Terracina…  Greg Noll team riders & Hang Ten ad …  Charley, was the owner / manager of the Greg Noll shop in Kaimuki where the Downing Shop is / was in the late 60’s.

Howzit Peter, That is a real shame and back in the 60's one of the cooks at the Dolphin had a Sparky board and it was a 10' old style board but it was a great ride. I must be way off base since I didn't know about Iggy. How are you doing my friend and give Deb a big Aloha from me. Aloha,Wildog

now I'm glad I lost that last game we shot on the 8 ball.  R.I.P. Sparky.

Very sad to hear this news. I feel very sad for Barry Morrison, who has been taking care of Sparky for a long time. 

When I lived across Ala Moana Park I would see him with his 65 or 66 Mustang Coupe. He really loved that car, and stopped shaping to restore it.

Years ago I ran into Barry and Sparky at City Mill and Barry said Sparky was thinking about shaping again. He had just gotten over being sick for quite a while and was still a little weak to manhandle his Skill 100s. I asked Sparky if he ever let anyone watch him shape hoping that I could learn a few things, but he said “Never gonna happen, that’s like asking to watch me jack off.” I always thought that was a strange comparison.

I know quite a few old time town surfers who have been waiting for Sparky to shape again. I guess their boards are now worth tons of money. Too bad cause some of those boards are pretty old now, and they still love them so much they are their daily drivers.

RIP Sparky.

Lived next to Sparky & Pop pop back in 2010.

Terrible news ;( Sparky was one of the nicest most welcoming people around!

always working on that mustang of his!

RIP Sparky!!!