....." you're NOT still skating at YOUR age , ARE you ??!! " .....

.... ignore the 'parental voices' , and have fun !

(1974... aged 13 ....

1974ben.jpg

1974.jpg

today [aged 51]...

resbenskatingeastersunday20129.jpg

resbenskatingeastersunday20121.jpg

resbenskatingeastersunday201213.jpg

resbenskatingeastersunday20126.jpg

[thanks to neighbour Monica , for taking some piccies ! [we live in the block of flats straight across the road from where these shots were taken ]  ]

I have seen photos [somewhere] of a couple of surfers , in their 80s , skateboarding .....was it leroy grannis and [someone] harrison , from memory ..."whitey " harrison , or ?

so ....we all have a fair way to go , eh ?

gaz in oz , 48 years old , skated a pool last week here in perth , and we went to a skatepark or two , which tempted me to give it a shot [on his Alva 'longboard']

fun times

I rode a motorcycle for a few years.  But the Springsteen lyrics would echo in my mind while I rode, “Suicide Machines.”  Decided my surf-style street rigs were extreme enough.  Just wish I had some waves nearby.

When I started riding my street-rigged mountainboards, a woman at work asked me if I was having a mid-life crisis.  I answered, “No, I’m having fun.”

As chippy says, share the stoke…

Sorta doesn’t count, as I was only 44 then! lol

oldkookskating.com for US err…oldkooks

middle-age-shred.com for UK old fart skaters

charliedontskate.com or

wabowlscum.com Ozzie old (and not so old) skaters

:slight_smile:

Wow, thanks, Lloyd Kahn, yeah!

And then there’s also Victor Earhart.

Yowza!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIDuyMIGqGs&feature=relmfu

hi gaz !

next time you're back here , maybe we [you] can take some shots at that park near mark ? [the wall i skated ...fun fun fun !]

ah yes ...DOC BALL !!

http://www.surfingforlife.com/surfers.html

THAT'S who I  was thinking of [what IS it with photogs who skate eh ...a WEIRD bunch indeed !  :)  :) ]

'solosurfer'  THANKS !   you still skating too, Noel ?

greg weaver  ah yes [I'd have to flip the photo , as I'm not goofy [well, not skating or surfing , that is !]

jay adams was one I 'mimicked' , i guess , in skating , and larry of course

alva , tony hawk , jay , peralta , jim muir ...I guess a lot of those guys still rip , yes ?

i wonder how often people ask THEM " when are you going to get a REAL job ?!" , eh ?

funny , because even when i was in my thirties , people used to ask me the thread's title question ...

herb , I'm waiting .....

please keep posting your recent skate shots , guys ! [ ....I LOVE them !]

cheers

ben

Yup.  Never stopped since making the first real skateboards with skate trucks harvested from cheap roller skates in the 60s.  I ride a smaller sector 9 with Original trucks in any parking garage I can find and a Carvestick on the hills.  “When the waves are down, you know where I’ll be found, on a hillside, havin’ fun.”  

good on ya , mate ...that's the way ! 

got any shots of your skate spots ?

...here is the previously mentioned 'gazinoz' , by the way ...

gazres16.jpg

poolres12.jpg

pool10res.jpg

bowlres.jpg

gazres14.jpg

on the half-pipe , at the same skatepark...

gazres12.jpg

gazres13.jpg

....yep !

[this one of Monica's is a bit closer to the 1974 photo's body english]

resbenskatingeaster2012pearlpde.jpg

Hey Ben, saw some people on that bit Of asphalt last week and was wondering why I hadn’t thought of skating there. Promised I would take the kids as a clean piece of unused road. Where is that derelict pool? Looks cool.
Your knees holding up after that skate maneuver?

haha !!

hi Ross

what you up to tomorrow or tuesday , or tomorrow evening ?  maybe we can get some skating there ...

funny , cos in the three years it's been empty , I hadn't really thought of skating it either ?!  even bart and michelle , the same ?  

knees ?

....umm ...

i'll let ya know tomorrow or maybe tuesday , how the knees feel ?

the pool ? 

"I can't remember where "  [oldtimers disease kicked in ]   ...aka 'skaters code' [a bit like surfers code , only even MORE exclusive ?!]

didya get fun waves after I saw you this morning ?

[ I had a GREAT time , testing out the twinzer setup on the 6'6 fun fun FUN !!]

cheers Ross !

ben

I’m 59 closing fast on 60.  Still working that centrifugal acceleration for all it’s worth.  Pneumatic tires, channel trucks and 35 degree tips are the closest thing to surfing I’ve found on land.  Been doing R&D on my own custom decks to refine surf-like performance.  My Jones for waves was killing me til I found these.

I’ve decided people grow old because they stop having fun…

Riding shots courtesy of my wife.

Quarter-mile speed run (below)

wooo hoooo !

STOKED !!

great hills of fire , batman , it sure looks FUN to me !

....yep , I totally agree with you , mate ....grumpy ol d**** [G.O.D.s] don't surf or skate , and THAT'S why they are grumpy ...

( well,  that's THEIR loss , not ours !  ...suckers ! hahaha )

cheers ....and keep the stoke ....forever !

good on ya !

ben

http://wabowlscum.com/

I still skate a bit, and I’m 62. No pools or half pipes. Mainly just moderate downhill and street style. I began skating around the time I started surfing - 1963. When I was in my 20s I had a partial sponsorship from a local Bahne dealer. Mostly just free gear. I have no photos of myself skating that are anywhere near recent. The newest pics I have are from the 70s.

Just a few weeks ago, I was driving on a road I hadn’t used in a long time. Quiet residential street with a good sized hill at one end. As I climbed the hill I saw two people standing in the road. I could not see them well because it was late afternoon and the sun was in my eyes. When I crested the hill I realized it was two young kids on skateboards. I wished I’d had my board in the car. I would have joined them. I skated that same hill nearly 40 years ago.

Best thing I have seen on this site in awhile.  Love it.  More pictures please.  

[img_assist|nid=1065529|title=ramp|desc=|link=none|align=center|width=640|height=428]Im still barely pushing adulthood, but this is the ramp(s) ive been building at my house for years[img_assist|nid=1065529|title=ramp|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=67]

Nice. I’d break something (leg, neck, ass) if I tried to skate that.

Hey Chipper,

Maybe you were thinking of Doc Ball…

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-X4NTdQ7ZYk/TNjJR4UM25I/AAAAAAAAAAM/73LjgmZMZYg/s1600/grannis_docball_sk8.jpg

I tried to put the image in, but my frame grabber makes a tiff file, and the software wouldn’t take it.

Somewhere there’s an image of Bud Browne skating, too, on one of the old narrow-truck boards (probably clay wheels, too) looked like he was in his sixties. (Couldn’t find it.)

Was that turn in the second image influenced by Greg Webber? I can’t believe you can still do that one-foot thing…

I think Pop Proctor was skating in his 90s. A pic of Bud Browne in his 60s would not include a skateboard with clay wheels. I can still do a one-footed crouching turn. You are thinking of Greg Weaver, I believe.

Damn Cool pics chippy, ive been driving past this sweet little ramp on my way home form work, this might be the kick i need to buy a skateboard again and give it a

blast:) cheers