Sugar Blanks??

Does anybody have info on sugar blanks? Where I can get them, are they glassed conventionally, are they even still being made etc.? I am located in HB and would like to try these things out.

Your a little late to the party.

Ice 9 was the company producing “cane” based blanks. I used quite a few of them two or three years ago.

Overall, mixed results. Some good, some not so good, some random sporadic yellowing, they didn’t like heat when installing fin boxes, leashcups or super hot lams. They eventually started offering Harold Walker’s TDI based foam and called it “Mowses”, which was good foam, but too little too late. They folded…

They were one of the approaches (along with Homeblown’s soy based foam) using MDI (Methyl Phenol Di Isocynate) based foam.

Although people that think they know everything may differ with my conclusion, I came away from the experience with the conclusion that MDI based foam is crap for surfboard foam, or at least a cheap inferior product compared to TDI (Toulene Di Isocynate) based foam. TDI is basically outlawed in California, which touts the most stringent environmental protections in the world. Yeah, I’m sure that will be debated too. (For more on this, pull up my old thread TDI vs MDI: the shit hits the fan).

Anyway, enuff of hearing my own voice. Bottom line is if you want super good foam I suggest you look at Arctic Foam from Foam Corps. Your other choice is U.S. Blanks.

Both have excellent foam with the Arctic netting a stronger board if all things remain equal.

Confucious say: SUGAR BLANKS NOT SO SWEET!

Thank you for the info Mr.Dead sir. I appreciate the update. I will keep the sugar in my soda! I am currently using US blanks and they work fine. The whole sugar thing was sounding a bit like a novelty but you  never know what you will learn by simply asking a question. Only problem is now I dont know what to do with this garage full of sugar cubes I have been collecting for my new project. LOL :slight_smile: