your water temperature variance ?

.....summer ?

....winter ?

what is the warmest , and the coldest , your local beach[es] water temperatures get , on average ?

just curious ...

cheers !

ben

Were on C here fins, I thought no one would understand so i converted it over. And aye the haggis helps

Me, I taught physics and chemistry for a few years, so real degrees ( and units) are more natural to me. Though I will admit that it takes me a few moments to do the conversions.

What few people understand is that haggis is good and good for you.

doc…

Winter temp can go as low as 28f. Summer as high as 74. Typically, 34 to 70, though.

Wellington NZ, 10-12 C winter, 17-19  C summer, wind chill is our big deal.

Maybe 20 maybe 21 in the summer and can get down to 12 in the winter think its about 15 now so not to bad. (deg C)

High 30s to high 50s. Maybe a touch and go on 60 in the summer. Then again, there is no surf in the summer anyway.

Really cold is 14c, but usually a few deg warmer, which to me is still bloody cold!. Summer i dont take note coz its too nice haha, but i think around 19 or maybe into the early 20's.

Funny though, the water and air temp lags behind a few weeks. So when winter is done, and spring is here, the weather is beautiful, and you get your spring on at the crack of dawn, run down, jump in and your balls disappear, and you realise you're a few weeks to early for the springsuit. Works good the other way though, the weather gets cool, thins the crowds, but you can still be out in nice water in ya springy

Or there's the old favourite of a cold current. Water temp comes up to bearable, then you get a cold current, again, put your rash vest and boardies on, expecting reasonable water, hit the water and again, the balls crawl back up inside!

thanks doc

reassuring you are a convert [celsius]

our water in winter = 16 celsius [coldest] 

in summer , as high as 24 , on occassion [rare ...mostly around 20-22]

4 to 6 degrees is usually about our variance , water temp wise

air temp ....0 to 2  minimum , a few times each winter [early mornings = 7am ] ,  but sometimes as warm as 10 for a minimum.

18-23 maximums , 'generally' in winter [13 would be a 'COLD' day here [ that's celsius , though  , remember ?! ]

in summer , we HAVE had 45 celsius days a few times ...

generally , though , the maximums are 35-40 degrees in summer , and the minimums anywhere from 18-28 . Occassionally ,  we will get in excess of 30 degree nights , during 'heatwave' periods [a 'heatwave' is defined as six or more days over 35 [ that's about ? 100 Fahrenheit degrees ? ... or , thereabouts !]

fortunately , it is a DRY heat . The desert is never far away , in 'sandgroper' land !   :)

So, there ya go , eh ?!  "Today's weather / geography lesson , brought to you by 'fins' "   ...

....now , if people would just learn where Australia actually IS ?? ...[or maybe not , acually ...let Bush and others think " it is  in Europe , where arnie was born , isn't it ?! "  [ ! ]   ]

be good to hear from the queenslanders , the balinese , and the hawaiians , now ...what are YOUR water temps , please guys ?

cheers !

(winter down under ) ben

...the  onshore is howling as I type this , and the rain is BELTING   down .... so , it's nice to spend the day indoors , just for a change !

0 C winter, 18 C summer.

doc…

Coldest I have surfed was 13* air with 36* water and 21" of fresh snow on the beach.  Would you brave it for conditions like below?  

ummmm .... no !  [ you see , there's this thing skinny guys very quickly  die of ...it's called 'hypothermia'....]

The shot below is one of our locals that day.  The photographer got the award for balls that day.  He stayed in the thumping impact zone for hours that day shooting.

...with water THAT cold , no balls may be more accurate ?

...20 mil wetsuit ?  motorbike helmet with visor / beanie / scarf / hood underneath ?  8 mil gloves ?  10 mil booties ?  shrunken goolies ?  high pitched voice . THAT [pardon the pun] is my idea of NUTS !

nice photo , though !

[ definately easier to shoot from the inside of the back of a [heated]  van , with a nice long telephoto  .... :)

cheers !

ben

...no wonder youse guys eat  haggis   then , eh ?

:)

By the way ,

a question ....

....,has anywhere else in this funny ol' world of ours converted to "celsius" yet , by the way ?

.... or is only west australia [W.A.]  light years ahead ??  heehee

[somehow I doubt it , as W.A.  stands for 'Wait Awhile' ]

cheers !

ben

here in WA it ges from “holy crap, its cold”, down to “dear lord why have you forsaken me, its cold”.  3/4/5 wetsuits all year for me.  

yous lucky swines, lows of 40 n highs of 60 not much between them here

In Texas – it gets as low as 48 or 49 in the winter after a cold front to low 90’s in the dead of summer.

Here in Southern New Jersey we can see 80* water in the summer and 34* water in the winter.  Those are our extremes.  Most summers it topps out around 77* and bottoms out around 36* in the winter.  Last winter was a warm one and I don’t think the water went below 40*.

Coldest I have surfed was 13* air with 36* water and 21" of fresh snow on the beach.  Would you brave it for conditions like below?  The shot below is one of our locals that day.  The photographer got the award for balls that day.  He stayed in the thumping impact zone for hours that day shooting.

Ball parking it here. Northern Gulf of Mexico FL. Low 50s High 80s. These are numbers I remember. NOAA archives likely provide a more accurate range.

Cheers