'GLOW IN THE DARK' fins , by ' INSANE CUTBACK ' .....

I found these on 'Facebook' , and asked his permission to post them here .  I'm stoked to see another person making "glo"  fins !  [And the photos are cool , it's nice to see the  ' GLO ' !! ]

As I don't want to steal your thunder , I will leave YOU to comment on them eh, mate ?

cheers !

ben

0benglo1.jpg

0benglo.jpg

They’re poorly foiled plywood fins with Lokbox tabs. The ply was cheap and combined with my poor foiling, ugly. I also ground into the base of the fin to reinforce the tab because my last home made set broke. I was going to paint them black but I came across glow paint and went from there. So far they are ok. The most important thing is they are strong. Experiment went well since I expected failure. Here’s the final look. Still ugly in an '80s way.

Mold board

Before paint

cheers mate !

so , how did you reinforce the tabs , is that carbon fibre I see on the inside base of fin ?

and did you use epoxy  in the lokbox tab mould ?

" still ugly in an '80s way "

ha !  you still GOT it , Wal...er...Be... er  "Insane Cutback " !  haha

keep up the good work ...maybe you can do a whole QUAD set of glo ones , if these ones last well ?   [ ? and a fifth small back fin , for a thruster setup , perhaps ?]

cheers !

ben

That’s a carbon fibre look alike lam on rice paper It was an after thought and made the fins look worse than they should have. 

They were reinforced with about 6 layers of glass to fill in the divot. I don’t really remember but they sanded flat. 

The mold is epoxy and the tabs are polyester fibers and sawdust pigmented white. I had polyester in the mold before and as it cured it shrunk as pe does and made the fin tabs too fat. 

cheers

so the whole fins were glassed with epoxy , too ?

two layers of six ounce cloth each side , or ?

I'm always curious to hear how much cloth , and how strong the tabs and fins become , when making wood core fins .... as I have plywood here ....

I'd go with the probox one long tab when I make some , I think , as the fcs tabs have broken on the couple of pairs of wood core fins I've made in the past. Wood looks nice , is light , and less toxic dust than fibreglass , so I "may" get some epoxy resin in the future , at some stage ??

I still have some agave left , too , of course .....

cheers cutty !!

ben

Three layers on each side glassed with PE. The tab is PE as well. Epoxy is too expensive in Japan. It’s about 5 times the price of Polyester. 

cheers for the info , mate !

yikes !

five times ?!

cheers

ben2