RIP Donald Takyama

:frowning:

E hoā€™omaha me ka maluhia

Bummer. Somehow over the years I have acquired three Takas, all of them better boards than I am capable of performing.

Iā€™ll have a drink in his honor this evening and a paddle-out this weekend.

Donald, Peter ā€œPopeā€ Kahapea & Harold ā€œIggyā€   Itā€™s been tough, lossing two friends.

Aloha nooooo, Haroldā€¦

Aloha nooooo, Donald

PPK

RIP to a great surfer, shaper, and all around craftman who did them all starting with balsaā€™s. I will ride my 10-0 Double Ender this weekend in his honor.

sad to see the legends go.We lost Buzzy at the beginning of the year,then Iggy,now Birdā€™s Nest.Rode my 9.0 speedshape and 9.2 Diamond tail just because.

RIP.

RIP.

man oh man ā€¦ to sit on the beaches of heaven and watch these guys surf; or better yet, to paddle out with 'em!   may your soul live on through all of us here who love your art and craftsmanship!  my condolences to your family and loved ones the world over!

Squeegee

Aloha Guy,It's a shame when we lose a grea5t legend like Donald who did so much to promote the sport of surfing. He was a great guy who I met back in the 60's and will never forget it. Aloha and RIP Donald, Kokua

Well today is the day for celebrating his life. A lot of folks will no doubt be there. Stoker called and was heading down there with I think, Steve Talley, who along with his brothers, Steve and Jimmy would take me with them to the old SNI shop up on the hill in Encinitas (next to Bahne). Man that building played host to some of the gr8test labels of the day!

Frank (the oldest Talley) got a very early day ā€œScorpionā€ that was the weirdest most innovatve thing I had seen to date. Once you looked at it with that downrailed nose and flipped up tail, you realied why Donald named it that! It friggin LOOKED LIKE A SCORPION!

Iā€™m sure I donā€™t even have to request this, but please, please, please, someone get some pix of the event and post it here for the rest of us that canā€™t be there.

Mahalo in advance!

P.S.

Add another deadshaper to my listā€¦ one of the greatest ever.

I tried to post a picture of the memorial service last night but it seems my intentions were overwhelmed by my lack of computer savy.  Swaylocks did post the picture and my comments at

http://www2.swaylocks.com/swaylopedia/image/dt-memorial

Joe Ewing has a bunch of really quality photos posted and linked from the erBB Discussion forum.

http://www.surfshot.com/surf-photos/paddle-out-for-donald-takayama-206612/

John

For those who are interested , a short video of the DT paddle out at Kuhio beach on Sat .  go to     wwwthecatdish.com     Aloha  T

His Scorpion board is still one of the most fun boards to surf on head high flat faced waves.