RIP Swaylocks Member Jeff Bickerstaff aka NuclearFishin

Sorry to inform you all. Jeff Bickerstaff aka NuclearFishin died suddenly around 8pm nz time on Sunday night at his home from a heart attack. Jeff was in his very early 50's. His closest friend and wife have asked me to notify you all on Swaylocks as we know he spent a lot of time on here and will have some good friendships with Swaylocks members.

Jeff had a great day surfing Sunday with close friends at a river mouth north of Whangarei. He returned home early evening and had dinner with his Wife Angela. Angela left the room for a few minutes and when she returned Jeff had passed away. I am also a good friend of Jeff's and own the local surf shop down the road from Jeff's home. He was a regular visitor every Friday after he finished work :)  

Jeff, myself and 9 other friends did a two week surf trip to the Maldives in August this year. It comes as a shock to us all that someone so strong and alive can leave us so quickly. It makes you realise how precious life, family and friends are.

If anyone would like to pass a message on to Jeff's family please post here, pm me or email at andre@ultimatesurf.co.nz and I will make sure they get them. We will have a paddle out for Jeff in the next few weeks so I may read some out on that day

Take care, surf as much as you can, cherish your friends and family

sincerely

Andre Newth

“Ditto”  RIP Jeff.  

Blessings to those still here.

RIP NuclearFishin, as I remember him. I always peek in here and  found stoke in his posts, his life and the way he lived it. Prayers with his family.

Ah, geez, that’s terrible.

He will be missed here.

He was a mainstay and always appreciated.

Prayers and thoughts to his family and friends.

Sad news.  All the best prayers for his family.

Reminds us that we're all just visiting here, eventually everyone has to go. And while we're here our existence is tenuous.

Godspeed to his family and friends in this time of loss, my heart goes out to them.

RIP Jeff, I’m sure many on here hope the time of mourning passes quickly and your family and friends quickly turn to celebrating your time on this side.  RIP from Cardiff by the Sea, California

so sad  , I am in shock . It was only a few days ago we were chatting on facebook . Roy informed me this morning , prior to this post . Thank you Andre , for filling in the details . Must be so hard , losing a close surfer friend

My condolences to his wife ,  family , and all his many friends

He will be deeply missed , he was an integral and positive part of swaylocks and facebook , and I'm sure touched many lives. Though we never met personally face to face , I always found him , in our correspondences , to be an encourager  .... kind , and friendly , and thoughtful , as well as a creative person , both here and at facebook

R.I.P., Jeff

ben

That's terrible news, and our thoughts are with his family.

Could you let us know when the paddle out is? I might be able to get out at that time, to join in, albeit some distance away.

I hope his family are ok.

Mark

I remember him talking about that trip, and sharing photos. 

http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/i-built-my-wife-72-swallowtail

How tenuous life is.  Condolences to his family.  The world is a little lesser place without him!

NuclearFishin

I didn’t really know Jeff but we were just messaging info back and fourth about a board I was working on. He was so enthusiastic and adamant about helping me out and was generally stoked about helping me and others here. Best wishes go out to his family and freinds.

RIP Jeff

RIP Jeff from the LA Surfers my Friend! 

RIP Jeff,

Truly sorry to hear this.

Condolences to the family from the Southeast Coast USA. Swaylocks lost a family member.

That's terrible news.  I'm so bummed to hear this.  I was talking on the phone with Jeff probably two weeks ago.  As always he called me since I suck at keeping in touch with anyone.  He told me about his trip to the Maldives.  We talked skateboards and about some boards we were planning.  He sounded really good.  He was the one that really organized the NZ Swaylocks get together earlier this year and we talked about trying to do it again.

We're all only here for a short while.  Jeff was a good man and touched many people's lives.  My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Thanks for letting us know Andre.  A friend of mine was surfing at a "river mouth north of here" last weekend and said it was epic.  I'm sure Jeff got some good ones.

Jon Gulick

Rest in peace Jeff. Thank you Andre for letting us all know.

I did not really know Jeff, but I offer my condolences to his family and friends for their loss. Life can be so fleeting.

My first and only contact with Jeff was just last week via a PM here on Swaylocks - so this indeed comes as a shock. He seemed to have a real thirst for knowledge and his friendly, helpful and positive manner was obvious.

They say that everything you do for yourself dies with you when you do. But everything you do for others lives on. Going on what his friends here have to say about Jeff, I'm betting that his influence will be felt for a while yet..

Rohan

As one who lost his best surfing buddy ever - my son - a bit over 2 years ago - my heart goes out to Jeff’s family and surfing mates…

I know there’s no words to relieve any of the pain of loss but I found, for me, that the pain was/is mine -  and have tried to learn to celebrate the fact that I was so very fortunate to spend whatever time I was allowed with a very special person who managed to make my life so much better…

My wish is that Jeff’s family and friends can come to celebrate such good things also - all in its own time.

My thoughts are with Jeff and you all

Truly one of my personal fav contributers here and I’m sure must have been great to know. Thank you to Jeff, family, crew and Sways. 

Sad, terrible news.  Rest in Peace Jeff.

To Jeff’s family.  I am truly sorry about your loss.  I regret I did not have the honor of meeting Jeff in person.  He will be missed on Swaylocks.  Mike