NEW FCS FINS

Did anybody already know about this?

http://www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com/blog/new-fcs-ii-fin-system-review/

Yup, FCS is goin backwards IMHO.

Another system.  Another install kit.   jeez!  Let's see;  I've got Pro-Box. Futures, FCS Plugs, FCS Fusions, the Occasional O'fishl, Lokbox.  Sheet!

it will be a while… that system is back to the drawing board

Agree, but at least they’re trying! 

someone got a photo of the prototype? i missed the video.

cheers

You’ve got to be kidding me!  The 11 time world champion doesn’t seem to have problems with the original system, why mess with something that works pretty well.  Some changes end up being  backwards thinking like filters on cigarettes you still end up gasping for air!

Well said.

I don’t care what the 11 time world champion doesn’t have problems with, I care about what works for my customers and wide availability.

I quit using X2 plugs five years ago due to poor engineering regardless of FCS’ claim that they are the strongest system in the world.

Bullshit.

As a sailboard pioneer I know all about skin to skin reinforcement and it’s importance as we were the ones that developed the apporach to reduce/eliminate fin box blow out as we were getting 50 feet of air and didn’t know how to fall off wind before landing.

In theory, FCS is right about skin to skin anchoring, however the round plug system has other shortcomings that out weigh using them.

Bottom line:

I offer Fusion and Futures and glass ons.

When I send shaped blanks to Moonlight they offer Lok Box.

If you look at the ram test on the FCS site, it indicates that Fusion resists lateral failure better than Futures. The ‘peanuts’ have a wider footprint to resist side pressure, versus Futures’ flange approach.  

Both are pre glass systems.

Futures claims the FCS dual screw/tab system causes flex distortion versus Futures’ base being closer to a glassed on fin.

Currently, 85% of the boards I am making, people want Futures in them.

Both have their plussess and minusses but are a lot easier to ship and travel with than glass ons.

yeah, who cares what world champ want. hes paid so his opinion is false. also his comment on why change it when the old system works, well its call evolution, if no one would think of something better we would still be riding horses.

one thing i like about Fcs is that its simple , clean and they look good (fusion) even on a nice tint board.

kinda weird that 85% of the board you get on orders are future. for me its the opposite, 75% FCS fusion and 25% glass-on. no one want future in my surrounding but i do have the plugs and setup to install them but i never got request.

are you pushing future on customers or they really want it?

the reason why i dont like future is to have a screw at the end or front doesnt make sense to me as you stll get some looseness frm side to side. haveing the screws on the side make evrything snug, just make snese to me.

if someone still have a picture of what there new idea, i am curious to see.

here a couple tint i did with fusion and i think its look great even if its not opaque. i think FCS is pretty good.

when i used lockbox (nice sand strong) the board didnt look as good, the boxes didnt get the tint so well., i guess Fcs is small enough that you almost dont see them, with Future is not bad but not as nice looking.  in term or which one is best for stenght, i have no clue, what you guy think is best?

cheers!

We stopped using X2 quite a while back as well. We Do Fusion and Futures as well… at about the same rate… 85/15 in favor of futures. A lot of customers ask for Futures straight out. However a lot are influenced by our stock boards. All of the in stock boards we have but 2 have Futures… Between 3 different shapers.

Ok Shapers and Glassers lets get down to the real business and the truth about different systems.  The real reason for using Futures is the ease of installation!  Period.  You route the board before glassing and install the box, tape it off,  and lalminate it and hot coat and sand.  What could be easier but another similar install as with Lokbox. One PROBLEM here is you can't dial in the CANT of the fin with relation to vee or concave in the tail.  The Future box goes flush to the board or you could cheat just a little and cant a small amount extra by routing the box opening deeper.   Yes Alice, the older system like FCS, takes alittle longer but when it comes to repairing a box or a plug I'll take the later anyday.  I have installed all the systems, made my own install jigs for Lokbox and Futures, used Probox, made my own glass on fins, even made my own probox fins from plywood and then glassed over the wood (try that someday when you're bored) and they all have their PLUSES and Minuses.  For the average Joe they wouldn't know what was under their feet if they didn't look first and couldn't tell the difference in their surfing.  Some systems seem to make the tail heavier than others and I don't like heavy tails on my own boards.  Bottom line they all work, some better than others, some easier to install, some stiffin the tail, some allow the tail to flex more than others, and some just look too cool for school!  Use what you like, have fun in the water, listen to your shaper, respect others, stay positive and be a light into this world.

Actually, I was a proponent of Fusion over Futures until I couldn’t ignore guys asking outright for Futures when given the option.

I personally feel that routing pre glass Fusion is the easiest way to go… easier than Futures because you don’t have to do anything but drop the jig on and rout them. The only bitch I’ve ever lodged w/FCS was they should offer a stock spiral cut bit that clears the cutting while eliminating the split stringer that can happen on center fin box routing. 

The FCS ‘peanuts’ also take paint really well and look better on tinted boards than Futures. We rout tinted boards getting Futures after hotcoated for that reason. The opaques I have done look super good when Fusion is preset and glassed over…

Fusion’s offer 1/4" adjustability fore & aft which can make for 1/2" spread while Futures have none.  And yes, Futures dictate the fin cant and you can only fudge a little. Futures’ flange top is thin and if you sand into them trying to cheat on cants dropping them into hotcoated boards, they will end up looking like shit. 

A tight rout with Fusion coupled with the lightness of the high density foam and curved outlines (corners like stress cracking) makes for a good box. They are light and very strong. They’ll never punch thru the deck like round plugs. They won’t crack at the corner of the tab slots on X2’s because there is adequate material between the tab slots and the outside perimeter. 

I don’t push anything at my customers. FCS actually supplied me far better than Futures as a company, and for a time, I told people Futures never pick up their phone and suck as a company. They have gotten better over the past couple years, and they make some really advanced fins. I offer their “Solus” fins as an upgrade on my Stoker V Machines, and guys rave about the combo of the two together. They ain’t cheap.

I still offer both because guys have other boards and sometimes have loads of fins in one or another system. If Pro Box made a pre glass system, I’d look hard at them. Larry is a terrific and experienced guy, but I’m into keeping it simple.

If you want the real deal on what the pro surfers REALLY use and not just talk about after their heat or in any interviews… get on instagram and look up  “meatnpotatoes”

has pics of which fins / boards the pros are using.

…hello Surftrip90, I bet that you did not put 4WFS…

Hello DS, man I suggested you before about to use 4WFS; have the coolness of the fusion box but with more adjustability, plus that normally you do not have a ding repair…couple of days ago a customer fall on a side fin, the inner disc act as a fusible so broke it, its only change it and continue with the Surfing.

The cup that goes under the glass resist better than all the systems due to round form and small kind of spigots that anchorage pretty well.

And is the easiest to put

Verb… it seems like an incredible system for guys that really want to try different cants and toe ins… super well thought out.

The problem for us is distribution. I responded a long time ago when I’d first heard of them but there never was any follow up after I got an email response that they would contact me further.

In this industry, that’s all it takes to have something not happen.

I don’t have the time to constantly keep after people that want to sell product to us builders… that’s there job.

I go with what is good, avallable and the path of least resistance.

I did so much R&D throughout the 80’s and other times that my focus now is supplying demand. 

Anything that throws a wrench in the machinery is likely to get thrown out of the factory or crossed off a list forever.

…for sure you are right, but seems a problem with the “middle man” in many companies. Also, I see that problem in huge companies like Philips, General Electrics, etc. I have a friend who is one of the main sellers here (the middle man) from the lighting department of Philips and see that the guys do not offer their products…the bar in front of my wshop have this problem with Coca cola and Pepsi. I do not know, but in my book is better to sell 12 than 10…more if you have the logistics and the branding installed (technically and in the consumers mind)

Yes Reverb, I have not installed 4wfs  system.  I have a good friend that loves and uses them and has had great customer service from them.  They came and did the install at his house in San Clemente and took their time to do it right.  A great system!  Right now I have enough jigs in my shop but hey whats one more!  I will look into using their system in the near future.  Maybe I will be a convert and can stop all this madness or I can offer just one more system! LOL and keep an open mind!

FCS 2 Fins system sneak peek…

have you guys seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avrmFSrWH0Y

reverb  i am with you

4 w s f  ug  is the easiest instal and i have been using them  for yrs yet never seen or had a prblm with the instaled disc itself

bert insipred latest creation

of course it was all posted here on sways by sabs   way ahead of the game was sabs

he runs a boatyard downstream from  me

** cheers huie