365 SURFBOARDS BOOK NEEDS BOARDS

Hello,

A publisher gave me two months and not a very big photo budget to compile 365 surfboards and write about them for a book called 365 Surfboards. From January 15 to February 4 we did a road trip with fotografista Luica Griggi to photograph as many surfers, shapers and collectors as we could between Seattle and Portland. 

• Matt Warshaw feeling a bit landlocked in Seattle.
  • Gerry Lopez bending and unbending his broken leg in Bend, Oregon.
  • Greg Noll crabbing and bullshitting on the Smith River and Crescent City.
  • Dale Webster in front of the schoolhouse from The Birds with a board he rode 10,000+ days in a row.
  • Jeff Clark in front of his shop with a modern version of a 1991 Mavericks gun.
  • Chris Malloy with fresh-cracked ribs holding up a 16' kookbox on his dad's J2 Ranch.
  • Allen Sarlo, Bird Huffman, Fernando Aguerre.
We got some great portraits and hope to get more, but now I am a little worried about collecting all 365 boards I will need to complete this book. Many people are promising but few are delivering. If there are any Swaylocks readers who want to contribute to history by sending quality, 300 DPI portraits of surfboards, well that would be great. Old boards, new boards, historic boards, failed boards. Anything goes, as 365 surfboards will let me cover some territory.

Please private message me or Email me at thebenmalibu@gmail.com if you want more information on the project. Or if you want to submit dozens of perfectly-photographed surfboards past, present and future.

Thanks,

Ben Marcus

sent an email a few days ago, no response. - Huck

You emailed thebenmalibu@gmail.com?

I’ve responded to everything so far.

Try again?

Thanks.

HOW do I know if my shots are ’ 300 DPI ’ , please , Ben ? [what do you check , how do I 'find out ?]

I have HEAPS of photos of boards … so do a LOT of us here , but I guess we need to know if our shots are good enough for a book’s reproduction .

And , I’m in west australia …any plans to market the book to ‘foreigners’ like us ? :slight_smile:

cheers

ben

Yes, thats the email address I sent it to.  I am re-sending the original email, and also posting it to your PMs, hopefully you’ll get it this time.  Thanks!

Fins

Generally you can tell by the file size of the photo

If the file size is like 100 K then it’s probably not 300 DPI.

If it’s 1 MEGABYTE or bigger that usually means the resolution is good enough for publishing.

Ideally the photos will be 300 DPI and sized at 8.5 x 11.

Please send whatever you can and I’ll add it to the calabash.

365 surfboards will give me a lot of room to use a lot of different kinds of boards and what I’m learning is there are a lot of different kinds of boards being made these days.

Email them to thebenmalibu@gmail.com

Thanks. This book is shaping up.

Ben

thanks for the info , ben !

if you get stuck ,

the 'what are you working on ?" thread , here , has some BEAUTIES , Ben !

as does the 'show us your resin swirls and tints'

and

'show us your wood'   thread[s]

" And , I'm in west australia ...any plans to market the book to 'foreigners' like us ? "

cheers !

ben 

Fins

I will take a look at the “what are you working on?” thread.

And yes the publisher will be marketing the book everywhere, so we want everywhere to be represented.

A lot of people from all over are throwing in, and that’s good.

I woke up this morning to my brother watching Step Into Liquid and realized that road trip we just took was the Step Into Liquid tour: Gerry Lopez, Chris Malloy, Bruce Brown, Dale Webster.

I hope Lucia will take more portraits for the book. She is going to shoot the San Clemente Surfboard Mafia soon.

Now I’m going to look at the What Are You Working On? thread.

Thanks.

Ben

Fins

I will take a look at the “what are you working on?” thread.

And yes the publisher will be marketing the book everywhere, so we want everywhere to be represented.

A lot of people from all over are throwing in, and that’s good.

I woke up this morning to my brother watching Step Into Liquid and realized that road trip we just took was the Step Into Liquid tour: Gerry Lopez, Chris Malloy, Bruce Brown, Dale Webster.

I hope Lucia will take more portraits for the book. She is going to shoot the San Clemente Surfboard Mafia soon.

Now I’m going to look at the What Are You Working On? thread.

Thanks.

Ben

email response received, pm too, thanks Ben, will get busy with response.

p.s. loved the Surfboard: Art Style Stoke book, so inspiring!

The Jim Phillips ‘Setting Sun’ board should be considered. 

Jim Phillips the Santa Cruz skate artist, or the shaper Jim Phillips?

I get confused.

Listening to Dazed and Confused on the Led Zeppelin BBC Live Sessions right now, as a matter of fact.

Thanks.

Ben

The shaper.  Here is the board: http://jimthegenius.com/Jim_Phillips_Surfboards/Billabong_Art_of_Shaping.html   

Also consider one of Austin Saunder’s boards.  He is a very, very talented young shaper accomplished beyond his years.  Located in Virginia Beach, VA.  

Gerry Lopez bending and unbending his broken leg in Bend, Oregon.??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

back story ben?

Snowboarding X ice = Gerry down for a bit.

thanks bmg , thanks jim phillips  !

that is beautiful , amazing , craftsmanship , patience ...

LOTS of things !

Rusty must be STOKED , too , I would imagine ?!

cheers

ben

tanks ben

http://www.liquidsaltmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/1-of-1Marcus.jpg

if got time

what is about?