New FCS II fin system and Origin system.

Anyone using the screw less system ?

or tried the Origin system with the base fillets that replicate glass-on fins ?

Maybe we could just get feedback from guys who have used fin-s screw less or people who have used Soar fins fillet fin system

Got a link to the screwless system, cant find anything on the fcs site?

[img_assist|nid=1072853|title=FCSII|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=809|height=610]

Got this from Surf Expo. Full disclosure I am friends with some of the FCS people. I’m sure there will be alot of back and forth about this but IMO it’s a nice progression from Fusion and plugs. Not at all like Fin-S, which I haven’t tried.

https://www.fin-s.com

http://www.soarfin.com/store/

Not sure I like the idea of a moving metallic part immersed in salt-water and exposed to sand over long periods of time - my guess is the titanium’s finish will eventually be sanded off by the water and begin to corrode, or it will get clogged with sand and become difficult to move. Seems like it’d be more of a pain-in-the-ass for the sander and for repairs as well

Not sure I like the idea of a moving metallic part immersed in salt-water and exposed to sand over long periods of time - my guess is the titanium’s finish will eventually be sanded off by the water and begin to corrode, or it will get clogged with sand and become difficult to move. Seems like it’d be more of a pain-in-the-ass for the sander and for repairs as well

I don’t think the rod moves. It just sits there and provides a backbone for the plastic barrell. The barrell provides the load/grip on the fin. You can see that the box still has grub screws so you can use regular FCS fins. Calling this a copy of Fin-S would be like calling FCS and Futures the same thing. Yes they are both screwless but the way the fin is secured is very different in this system vs Fin-S.

yeah interesting concept but whats wrong with futures:) 

Titanium is a solid component not a finish so would be ok but always suspect of moving parts, like the idea of keyless though as im always forgetting my hex keys!!  remember Speeed fins had a keyless system which was ok…http://www.soulhealer.com/878-7.htm

Just another install kit & b.s. to go through when doing ding repair if you ask me. I am a firm believer in the KISS mindset (Keep It Simple Stupid). With current FCS/Futures there are two things that can go wrong with a fin not going in, a stripped screw or a little sanding needed to the fin. This system as well as the Fin-S open up a bunch of stupid little reasons for fins not fitting/staying in place. I am all for innovation but its honestly not that hard to srew in a couple screws. I could see it being good for people that constantly travel, but the reality of it is that not many avg. surfers are going to own multiple sets of these fins (which probably retail around $80-$100) to be able to choose what they want for each session, unfortunatley having enough money for just the board is hard for surfers these days. And it’s not the first time we have seen finless systems like nocean said SpeedFins & O’Fishl both were screwless and aren’t around any more really. Sounds like once Fin-S came out FCS decided to do it too. It’s funny because last year Fin-S was all the fin rage at the Expo and a year later FCS is. Who cares about who copies who, i just hope Futures keeps going with the system that has worked well for years!!! Just my opinion. 

All the popular systems seem to work fine for my needs. As an amateur boardbuilder, I prefer fusions (and these new ones look good) because they are pre-glass, simple single depth route, need only 1 oz resin for 5 boxes, and they are light and small. But that’s just me.

Right, but there is a finish on the titanium that prevents it from rusting as no metal is actually corrosion-proof… I learned this firsthand with my titanium dive knife

I’m pretty sure it looks like the arm swings open and close to apply pressure to the fin… I’d like to see a demo video of exactly how it’s working

I think the rod is a spring.

This looks like an unecessary gimmick to me. One that will be gone within a few years.

Seriously, can’t remember a fin key? I’m the most forgetful person I know.

I have a fin key in each of my wetsuits and on my key ring for my car. Easy.

Screwless function aside, I will say this FCS II is an improved box over the (already pretty good) Fusion. The PU core comes through the top of the box which gives a better glass/box bond. And there is no more “valley” between the two fin slots which was always a source of bubbles during lamination. Also I think they are adding a 3 degree box to go along with the 0, 5 and 9.

There was a youtube video that someone made while at the expo, when i went to click on the link it said that is was deleted by the user, hmmmm i wonder why this could be?

http://youtu.be/iHzaMWm3PWE

Jamie, you are a plant and will say whatever the bankers @ FCS tell you  to post, if not you are too close to them to give a unbiased opinion.

The reason for this system launch is all about $$ and nothing to do with real innovatio or making asurfers life any more enjoyable.

FCS are still up to their bankers necks in litigation and having lost their original patent security are looking to bail out asap and to do that they need a new system that they can clim is revolutionary so s to sell the whole company to some other sucker/ VC? banker who will fall for it.

The current lawsuit in CAL is due back in court in April and that is all about their fins being too sarp at the trailing edge and whammo, we now have their new system yhat requires you to bash the back sharp edge of the fin upward and forward to release it. looks like a litigation nightmare just waiting to hapen as little johnny chops into his wrist/hand and bleeds to death on the beach. As CI and fin maker Brewer are also dragged into the current lawsuit, why would any half smart boarbuilger fit this system and have a customer injure themselves and send you broke with a massive legal case.

Unless FCS can provide fully legally backed immunity from law suit to any manufacturer that fir this FCSII, then FFS run a hundred miles from it

RL,

I disclosed in my first post that I am friends with some of the FCS guys but I am certainly not a “plant”. I am only trying to share what I saw/touched at the show with regard to this new system. As an amateur board-builder I think it’s an improvement over fusion for the reasons I posted. I was unaware of all the lawsuit crap going on in the background, which sucks.

…may be they should improve the fusion box…

-also, I never seen worst system than the o fish l