From the movie 5 summer stories(the magic rolling board).........RIP Don "Waldo" Autry"

don waldo was a close friend of mine…he passed on a few days ago just before the premier of the movie we were about to share (signal hill speed races doc. to premier sunday the 27th of jan. 2013)…we skated many o pools together back in the early mid-70s. 

he was the original pioneer of vertical skating…the guy that schooled the dogtown boys back in the days.

you’ve seen him…the guy in the mt. baldy pipe sequence  ,“the magic rolling board” 5 summer stories.

may he find peace in death …that he could not find in life.

you will be missed here.

herb

rest in peace friend o’ herb.

is heaven a vertical slope?

…ambrose…

His modle was one of my first modern, for the time, boards.

RIP

.....bugger !

sorry to hear he's gone ..so young eh ...

he would have been around ? 50 yo ? herb ?

I LOVED the shots of him in 'Skateboarder' mag , when I was a teenager growing up in sydney

R.I.P Waldo

I will watch the footage tomorrow ..."the magic rolling board" segment of five summer stories  is BEAUTIFULLY filmed [as were all mcgillivray / freeman films ! ] .

" 5 summer stories"  is definately   a classic , in my books !  ...try to get a copy if you've not seen it yet .

cheers

ben

http://www.tunnelskateboards.com/team/waldo_autry.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcj5xZCHPAc

go to fb...........and to john hughes or jim goodrich..........or my page under my name.

good stuff !

herb

...will DO !

Jim Goodrich ah yes that is a photographer's  name I remember  , from captions in Skateboarder 1970's issues ,

and of course  warren bolster , craig fineman , james cassimus , c.r. stecyk , and glenn e. friedman

....good days , good memories !   [magazine assisted , of course , being that I was [and am] in Australia !] . I scoured every new issue of that and surfer mag and surfing world , as my photography bibles , as a grom .  [Which might explain my passion for surfing and skating photography , to this day , I think ! ]

cheers

ben 

Be careful with that M word. Certain people here get all upset.

ha ha !

and , "IF" we were honest with ourselves ,

i'm sure ,

who WOULDN'T want to see a photo of themselves in a mag , "IF" they 'ripped' , eh ?!

:)

[ WHO  gives a rat's arse , anyway ?    ......'it's all good !" ]

cheers

ben

Bummer herb. Was he any relation to the “singing cowboy” of tv fame ?

ben,

thanks for the link to utube.

i've been watchin' the magic rolling board ..........over and over again...............i do miss those times,greatly.

ed nad ,russ, dale smith ,waldo, alva were all guys i skated with and became good friends for the times.

guy was floored when we saw each other at the movie premier of the signal hill speed run doc. movie..............i said how long has it been ,guy ?............he said like 35 years herb.........

there were moments when john hughes, guy,and myself had tears in our eyes..............

God...........it's all going by so fast..................waldo.............save me a place in the pool !

herb

matt,

not to my knowledge...............he did have a pet racoon though.

herb