The Pipeline Challenge board has landed on the mainland

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB1&Number=2449775&page=0&fpart=7

Just in case anyone here on Sways is interested.    It’s currently in the Bay area.    We don’t have a Pipeline wave here to test it against but we do have some other breaks that might be suitable for it.  

I’m actually going to pick it up soon and give it a go before passing it along to Skindog Collins.  It’s so close I just can’t resist.  

OB last week was giving second reef Pipe a run for it’s money.  Waves are supposed to be macking this weekend.  

Did it ''ship'' itself? All it needs is some lights and a horn.

Someone paid to have it shipped here.  I thought it had lights and a horn.  

I’m actually anxious to surf it.  Trying (as hard as it is) to keep a totally open mind.  I don’t think I’m preparred to make the drop at Mavericks on it yet.  Maybe Ken will give it a go there.  I just hope there’s not a “you break it, you bought it” condition on it though.  I can’t afford a million dollars :wink:

I'd better put a smiley-face and a j/k on that or I'll get a nastygram from Roy in my email box.

I’d like to give it a go.

Probably won’t line up though

I liked Roy , then I didnt,  then my sons showed me that despite what I know about surfcraft, Roy knows a lot too,  and theres no reason to make grief for a man whos just following his course, doing his thing, doing it all his own way.

So Im a fan of the man that stands up with his own ideas, builds his boards and must have the greatest love to do it as the centre of his complete lifestyle for decades.

Whether hes right or wrong it matters not, Roys living the boardbuilding / surfing / innovating dream as he sees it and Im jealous of the big hairy New Zealander.

Send the board to AU next time.

Ocean beach should be 9’ @ 17sec on Sunday-Pumping. I will be around and can take pictures or GoPro video. And I am no stranger to ridding my own big interesting boards and would be up for giving it a go. Give me a PM if it is possible. I have a old red wetsuit some where too.

Thanks, Ian

every genius is passionate about their baby and the list is long

from Paul(penguin), to Roy(board design), to Griffin(5fin/G10) to Jeff Alexander(Gemini), to Simmons, to Blake, to Brewer, to Geoff McCoy/Cheyne Horan, to Mr X, to Mr velo spoon/mat, to Eckstrom, to Bufo, to Mike(Grain), to Tommy Petersen(BushRat), to Maurice Cole (Concaves), Y(Boogie), Mike(LibTech), to Bert(Balsa Rails) to Greg(Resin Research), to Blane(PaddleSurfHawaii), to all the fin guys…

you can’t fault any of them for their passion in what they believe

and sometimes for a few their passion can be blinding

for its their baby, their lover

their reason for being who they are

and all that they went through to get there

respect to them all

and thank god they are there to keep pushing the envelope

And if you do get to ride it

ride it feet close togethor forward of center tiki stance

Ian, the guy who has it is up in the bay area.  Contact him via PM on the other forum and I’m sure you guys could work something out.  

It docked.

That’s all well and fine.  Very noble of you. Respectful etc.  But when a guy insists on arguing with everybody and belittling others because they don’t care for his weird bull $#!t designs he doesn’t get a second look from me…  The guy would argue with a rock.  The BS he pulled with Bill etc. etc…  But makes no never mind to me.  The guy’s a novelty at best.  The “Duck Commander” of New Zealnd.  Take that board out to OB this weekend and “duck dive” it.  Better yet;  somebody grafitti it with “Dora is gay” or some other classic surf utterance

This should be interesting at the very least. Much respect to whoever paddles that thing out at Ocean Beach.

Roy is on his own trip for sure.

Roy is not a “genius” by any stretch, and his name should not be included with those others you’ve listed. He builds ridiculous novelties that are not functional. The opposite of what those other men have done.

He’s a joke. A laughing stock.

Hardly what he does. His over sized barges made with marginal skills are regressive, to say the least.

100% agree! with you and Sammy too

Enough about Roy, he’s not here to defend himself.

Let’s leave this thread to being about the board.

Comments By Neal Miyake and Randy Rarick (who both rode it) on this older thread.............. 

http://www2.swaylocks.com/node/1029574

from the pics I’ve seen of the rocker, rails, and what Randy Rarick looked like on one, board is more suited as a wall hanger…

Doesn’t mean the length is the issues, however.  About 3 years ago, surfed the middle of OB on a fun DOH day, some guy was out there on a really racy yellow board, looked like it was channeling a Pat Curren Makaha Gun, had to be 12’ long.  guy was gliding in 50 yards outside of us, setting a cross peak trim line and making some nice deep runs…and then sprinting like a mofo on the paddle back out…wanted to talk to him about his board, but never got the chance…impressed by his wave count and how easily he chased down peaks that wouldn’t have been within range for anyone else…gotta catch the waves before you can ride them right?

Roy’s boats, however, just seem so regressive during a period of such progression…a 59’ El Dorado is pretty bitchin to look at, wouldn’t want to pull one onto a NASCAR track, keep the pedal mashed to the floor, and hit that first banked corner…

and that’s the problem

the mentality of this culture and the industry behind it is so full of itself and hypocritical

it can’t recognize that its just a microdot in a vast meaningless that it is the grand scheme of life and death

the universe doesn’t care whether surfing or surfers as everyone believes themselves to be

exists or not

if fact many can argue society and mother earth would be better off

without what is is now called “surfing” and those associated with it

the sooner one can accept this

the sooner one can get on with their lives much happier

allot here have

in particular those who were there  before all this mess really got started

except for a handful including many here

grumpy old men is what surfers and shapers all become

no sense becoming that sooner than you need to

accept it all without judgement

cause in the end 

its all just meaningless fun

It’s all about what you focus on, is it the board or the man?

if your looking for faults , we’ve all got them…

but if you’re looking for handmade boards crafted from wood straight out of the ground hewn from the hands of a single man without CAD, computer or core cell, using the natural ingredients he can find, combining his unique theories and construction, then Roy has no peer.

It doesn’t matter that his boards aren’t 6’1" X 18", its his journey to explore and enjoy.

And as for his arguing with a rock, how many among us could withstand the years of abuse and ridicule he’s suffered, and still hold true to their beliefs ?

probably none or few at best.

Focus on the boards not the man,   wait for the reviews and give the man his dues for doing what he and we love, making boards his own way.