Big Sur 2013 - weekend of Sept 20-22nd!

The usual Sways annual get-together at Plaskett Creek - camping, surfboards, beachbreak, food, and oh there might be some people who bring beer…maybe a guitar or two…

Camping reservations can be made 6 months in advance, so for arrivals on Friday Sept 20, you can make reservations starting 7AM (Pacific time) tomorrow.

If you can get there Thursday, those are available today.

what kind of wetsuit do you need to surf there?

5/4?

6/5?

Hood?

Gloves?

Board Type?

can you just sleep in your car?

or do you need to bring the whole camping trip?

4/3 is good if the suit is in good shape.  The water temp will be around 57 or 58 degrees.  5/4 might be better if you are coming from somewhere tropical…  I wear booties and a hood year round, too.  But a lot of guys just wear a suit up here.  Especially, in the Fall.  I sleep in the back of my truck every year, a small stove, and stuff to make coffee, sandwiches, some fish or chicken to share, cooler with beer.  Pretty minimal. I have lots of extra wetsuits.  Size large.  Take any of my boards. That seems to be the rule with just about everyone.  Hope you can make it so I can finally shake your hand.  Mike

I think if god and the weather’s willing this year might be the year to try.

I’m In!  Site 25, arriving the 19th  I’ll be coming solo, so if anyone wants to share a spot, let me know.

Oneula, Last year I wore a 3/4 psycho 2 and was fine, until the wind got strong.  Lots of boards to share.

I’m in too.  I missed it last year, so I can’t wait.  

"what kind of wetsuit do you need to surf there?"

Hi Bernie -

On a recent surf session (after some hard on-shore winds for a couple of days) the water temperature was 48.5 degrees verified by digital thermometer.  And that was south of Point Conception.

A few years ago in September (again after winds) the water temperatures locally were 49 degrees.

If it's warm and glassy for a few days, the surface temps warm up but you never know.

The Low Tech Lab will be in site 36........ready for wheeling and dealing.....

4-3 full suit with 1mil rash guard...3 mil booties....Squid lid if needed.....no worries.....sun block too...

if you are traveling from far away we will have extra stuff like propane grills and stoves and forks/knives..ect......

show up...bring stoke...be flexable.......

Ray

the lab rats always need beer so bring extra......

site 36 rocks I will be there this year no more sickness

well it looks like i showed up late to this party and all the spots you can reserve are all taken up, the only spots left are walk ins only.

so if any one has room and wants to split a spot with me please let me know

Hi jbirdsurf - Although all of the Plaskett Creek sites appear in the reservation window, only 1/2 of them are actually available by reservation.  The rest will show a 'W' if you try to book specific dates.  The sites with the 'W' are first come first served.  They don't make that very clear on the Plaskett Creek website.  Check the legend near the bottom of the page when you try to book a site.  There are some other codes as well.

Looks like all the sites are reserved.hope i can get a walk up one. I’d like to go and check it out.

to anybody wondering, there always seems to me extra room that never gets filled.

come through, we’ll work something out…

oh, and I too would like to shake your hand Bernie!

from EverySurfer on a different thread;

I just got a message from recreation.gov No campfires or bar-b-que until the end of fire season. Cook stoves are o.k. http://MarkmillerConstruction.com/

One week left…time to wrap up all your projects!

one week?  perfect time to start a NEW project, ha ha.

I was working on my board tonight.  I just finished putting on the last gloss layer of epoxy.  It looks good, but it almost ended in disaster.  I started pouring the mixed epoxy onto the board in a fat line down the center from the middle towards the tail.  All of a sudden I froze… Oh crap!!!  I forgot to tape off my fin box, and almost filled it up with epoxy.  I quickly grabbed a plastic spreader and stopped the incomming liquid flow before it reached the box.  Man, that was close.

Hey folks, looks like the stars have finally aligned and we'll be able to make it this year. We have the Westy all tuned up and ready to go. Will have some new boards and plenty of food & grog. See you soon!

surf forecast is…?