question for those selling boards in Japan

Understanding that retail in Japan is well above retail in the States, how much does your wholesale cost increase for the Japanese market? 

kirk

Hi, I’ve been in the japanese surfing industry. What boards are you talking about? It’s been a while but About 60000-70000yen for a shortboard, but there are many boardmakers out there pushing the price. Those are made in japan prices with japanese labour, so they expect imports to be cheaper I guess.

SUPs made in the US for the Japanese market.  

Kirk

Ok, I have no idea what retailprice they have but not many people build them in Japan.If you offer custom it should be a market for it.

Wow SUP’s in Japan. Imagine taking THAT on the bullet train.

My distributor in Japan (and Australia for that matter) pay the same  wholesale price as my domestic accounts.

My reasoning is that I have no business dictating what a retail account should sell my boards for in their respective areas. Same holds true for my distributors.

Price is determined by supply and demand and what it takes to get the product to market.

Everyone is different. I see the boards selling for very different prices depending on the overhead and operating expenses of each individual account, the average financial income for the customer base they sell to, the cost of shipping to get my product to them and, with foreign accounts, additional expenses like Duty, Tariffs, or some form of Import Tax as well as what the U.S. Dollar is compared to the Yen or AUD.

Distributors may also be promoting your label at their own expense which should be a consideration versus selling onesy twosy to individual foreign orders. Distributors buy volume, and they rely on establishing an ongoing relatiohip versus a one time purchase. I get inquiries from Japan and Australia on a regular basis and refer them to my distributors who also have shops of their own.  I’m not going to jeopardize those relationships for a few boards here and there.

Just my two cents. Hope that helps.