Ben Aipa's Shaping Process Video

Here’s how Ben shapes a board after almost 50 years of experience. It might be different than your process but that’s the cool part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIAx-u283Qw

One of the most enjoyable shaping videos I’ve seen.  Very interesting that ha takes a 6’10A and turns it into a 6’0 hp shortboard.  Definately picked up on a few things.

Thanks for posting the video, very interesting! 

I was fortunate to meet and watch Ben shape during the 90’s.

He gave me a 6’2" stinger template which I still have.

50+ years of handshaping.

Truly inspiring.

You paying attention kids?

This is shaping.

That’s so cool Barry! I can’t believe he just gave you the template. Made any boards out of it that you can post pics of?

At the time I made a bunch.

I’ve adapted that tail to several of my models over the years.

I may have some photo’s. I’ll look.

I just love the look of those stingers.

Such a visual over-load in design.

Being nearly 50 now, I just have those pics of Bertelman, Butttons and all those Hawaiians just laying them on rail, just engraved in my mind.

Shortboard revolution in full swing.

That’s when the surfing bug bit for me!

Ben Rocks!

Ben would come over to shape at SNI in Solana Beach in The Summer. He would bring over Bertelmman , Buttons and few other of the then young rippers.  I recall surfing at Blacks on a mediocre swell. He was finding tubes were there should not have been tubes and pulling off just the most impressive moves you could imagine.  This most have been in the summer of 1974. i can still see it in my mind like it was last week.  

I have a Apia sting shaped by Rick Hammond.  If it had been by  Apia I would restore it.  But now It will become an art project to that era and time in surfing. 

Those guys were so ahead of their time that it must have been pretty cool to see them surf in person. Definitley a group of dudes that were changing the game.

Surfers today could learn a lot by watching Those once young Aipa riders.  Mix some of the rubberman moves with airs and you would have something new and refreashing.