EPS Failure of Not?

I recently had a custom board shaped. 5’8" x 19" x 2.5" hybrid fish tail 5 fin set up, more importantly EPS.  I got the board and on the bottom were some defects in the foam and glass.  I was worried because I have seen many boards, as we all have, in my lifetime and never have I seen those dimples in a board to be sold.  I was worried but the shaper gave me a new set of fins.  So I took it out for the maiden voyage the next day, 3 foot mushy surf.  On my third wave, I paddled out and got off the board.  I wanted to see where my feet placement was, because I was going to buy a kick pad right after my session.  I checked my back foot and was stoked I was in the right place.  But, just at my front foot was a 3 inch stringer crack/ pressure ding.  I was shocked.  How could I (160# 5’10") have done this so soon, especially on an EPS board.  The board I used as my design was a PU of same dimensions bought at a garage sale for $20, having been in the garage for years.  I rode that old board for 3 years in knee to head high surf for 3 seasons until I stringer dinged it out of commission.  That old board took a beating.  This new board of somewhat stronger material lasted a hair width of what it should have.

My question is, was it shapers technique, structural fallability or dumb luck?  To note, the maneuvres I did at most was a backhand lipper and a front hand carve, understanding on 3 foot mush that wasn’t much.

thank you

[img_assist|nid=1075540|title=Foam defects|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=75|height=100][img_assist|nid=1075541|title=Stringer Crack|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=75|height=100]Here are the Foam defects by shaper and the crack Sustained while surfing.  To add, the Top dimple of the foam defect had salt deposits later in the day after session which means water had protruded into crack, maybe not into foam though.

Shaped and glassed in-house? The blank might have been a lower density and the glasser & shaper might have had some misscommunication on the schedule. If the shaper also glassed it, then ask if the schedule was on par with the density. Other than that, yeah, bad luck happens in the surf, new boards snap in two. EPS, when not laminated strong enough, can ding & dent easily. PU is known for outlasting EPS. That said, EPS blocks are improving. I build my own EPS blanks, love it’s characteristics.

As far as the visible defects at the time you picked up your board: gotta speak up and call-out shotty work, don’t settle for hacked, b-grade quality, especially if you’re paying for a custom. A new custom.

Good luck with the repair or replacement.

Here is my advice first get all the info you can on how and what the board was built with.  What blank was used? as vaeska said what was the glassing schedule was? Also what brand Expoy resin was used?  From what you have said so far my best guess is The Guy who made this board is not very skilled at Building EPS Boards. 

Come to think of it is this guy a Pro? someone that has made hundreds of Boards? or a back yard builder making a few boards for his friends?