Surfing's mainstream push has finally imploded.

[quote="$1"] Billabong International Ltd. (BBG) said its 40-year-old surf brand was worthless after the company’s losses tripled amid store closures, firings and a breach of debt terms. The stock fell the most in almost three weeks. [/quote]

Link

What these companies and their investment firms always failed to understand was the cyclical popularity of things like surfing, snowboarding, and skating. The fads come and go and the vulture’s attempts to suck every last cent out of the “lifestyle” are finally crumbling around them. Good riddance I say. It’s a shame for the innocents and wide eyed enthusiasts that will drown in the wake, but these types of past times need a thorough shaking out of the soul suckers known as big business. Surfers understand flat spells and as much as they are dispised, everyone knows that swell will eventually return, something big business cannot grasp.

You may be right doyle…only time will tell… Ive had the opinion for years that a lot of people got into surfing only because of the years of the big marketing push …

Benr I will look into Turmeric.  

Artz I had horrible shoulder pain and started taking Turmeric within a week it was almost completely gone.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/turmeric

Give it a try best 9 bucks I have spent.

Artz, cool man.

Bobby is a friend also.

I paint his boards all the time.

Hell-of-good shaper.

I’ve met Skydog too.

Barry I think must of us who have a love for the soul of Surfing feel this way.   i hope someday we are able to meet.  I would love to share a beer or two with you and swap some lies.  

I have lots of friends in The Oceanside Carlsbad area.  Bob Sakota and Danny Highland ( Skydog)  are two both are very good shapers. Both have made boards for me.  Maybe one day I’ll get you to shape a board for me. We seem to be on a simler path.  So it would be an interesting project. 

Artz, I love your honesty.

You get it.

I have never agreed with all these multi-million dollar clothing companies just raking in $$$$$$$$$$$$$ by exploiting of the act of surfing, the activity we all love.

It’s about surfing. Not the clothes you wear.

Good ridance.

Thanks for pumping big bucks in your pockets. Not surfboard technology.

It is a shame that a lot of people will be sucked down the drain. In The end I’ll just wax my board go out for an evening session… bytch about my aching Back and sore shoulders.  Sit outside recall that first ever wave I caught in 1964. 

I got a ridiculously expensive O’neill jacket at the thrift store for $7.  I NEVER pay full price for some classic Reyn Spooner, Surfline Hawaii, or Kahala Hawaiian shirts.  If my ghetto blaster craps out due to foam inhalation, I grab another player for pennies on the dollar at the same places.

One man’s garbage is another man’s gold.

I do my part to keep yesterday’s treasures out of the landfill.

well said doyle,rite on the button…

coming soon

surfing surplus stores

franchise outfits selling 

massive quantities of mass production junk

like left over wwII hand grenade canisters

will take decades to dig out of the junk and composting

fodder.unfortunately we will be wading

through flotsam in the line-up supporting

scientists conducting research

in deductive reasoning

subtracting one professional opinion

after another.

''Wait he’s not a professor,

he’s a hypothetical snake -oil peddler!‘’

the truth is out there,

where’s mulder and scully?

…ambrose…

man in the coon skin cap wants eleven dollar

bills ,we’ve only got ten …

save is the new post

clik save

How much do you take?

This has been going on for years. Surfing is a subculture and big business will never undersatnd that. We start the trends and when everybody else wears what we do we wear something else. The surf Industry has spond more thrends than most other sports. Let them try and we’ll just keep them baffled! What they’ll never get is we don’t want to be like them! We’ll never be mainstream.

…hello Capt Mike, you are right however people really like to dress up…also I m  into r n r and old motorcycles (Im not into “scenes”) and I see lots of “dressers”…and they think that they are really “into”; so imagine the masses.

Take for example these new urban hipsters, most important thing is to look very good or “into” some scene than the substance; all ok if these guys have not only the pose but substance.

But there s nothing with less substance than the big companies bermudas, t shirts, etc; really ugly cloth.