Leash plug install

Just a quick, simple leash plug installation video for the beginners out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9kRL-xDgWc

…hello man, I really appreciate your efforts with all these clips you post here; however; you should pay a bit more attention; I mean, remember that lots of rookies are watching these clips and most never saw a Professional (the good ones) doing the job; so they are learning the not so clean way, to say something and then these fellas teach another newbie the same unclean stuff and go on and on. The clips with the pro glassers that you put here were good; clean job. The ding repair and this one do not show a clean work. In this case; the shape is a bunch of gauges, marks and not sharpened blades (I can imagine the planshape and templating…); the tint is a mess, all these and you only show a ft of the board!. Then after the hole is done, the guy should clean (sanding) the edges to get rid of the “White ring”. At 4:05, after the sanding the clip shows the pinholes that the Aerosil let; then a fast forward edit and suddenly no more tiny holes but a bunch of uneven Violet color…Also looks like he forgot to put the leash plug in previous step and this shows a polished resin finish? All this thing to say that we need to be careful about ALL the handcrafting details because in a near future this labor of love will be in danger due to most top pro (shapers and crew) will be retired or passed away…and these poor craftmen that remain. How I can say something to a customer regarding 100% handcrafted, if the guy can say me " hey I went to the shop and the X board made in whatever place with no matter the tech was incredible good and looked pretty well done, etc?" and the 100% thingy looks like a crappy work? Please understand this the right way

Hi Reverb,

Should have probably mentioned that we’re putting the leash plug into a board that was shaped and glassed by Race from Contrast Magazine and it was his first board so that’s why it’s pretty rough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-gdzMDSns

As far as continuity issues, give it another look and you’ll see that there aren’t any ( as far as forgetting to put the leash plug in). It only looks like a polished finish because it is our Aluzine epoxy resin that hasn’t been sanded yet because, as you know, you install the leash plug before sanding the hot coat. We did use purple tint in the leash cup resin mixture because that is what Race wanted. We did skip past filling in any little pin holes that could come about during sanding. Sorry you’re not into the ding repair one either, fortunatley other people have been and that’s what’s cool about building and fixing boards…we all have different opinions. Happy building.

Not that its completely related, but I recently did a leash plug using the “through the single fin box” method, and no plug.  Board was all completed, everything looked good, and went and surfed it in some more powerful surf this past weekend.  After getting out of the water, I realized that the hole where the leash went from box to deck, shattered on one side from excess pull from the leash loop.  

So now in the process of fixing it, was considering throwing a leash plug in, similar to the video above.  Are there any other things I need to consider in the process, except for taping the hole in the fin box itself, so the resin doesnt seep through?  Should I add some fiberglass in to strengthen the weakened bond, or ahould I consider filling the hole completely and putting the leash plug in a new location?

Thanks in advance.

The leash plug is fine 3" from the tail doubt your box is set that far back.

you can move it closer to the hole in the box if you want. its NBD.

Acetone the plug… didnt see that in the original video. to clean the mold release and fingerprints off.

Thanks I appreciate the response.  It sounds like youre saying I can put the leash plug anywhere from 3" off the tail to the fin box, but if I can avoid cutting a new hole, I would like to use the one thats already there.  So can I take the existing hole, drilled out and previously filled with resin (no plug), and simply tape the bottom shut, and refill with resin and fiberglass, then do a leash plug from scratch?  Or in reality do both in one step,  Drill the plug hull, fill that half way, plus the existing “through the box” leash hole, and then proceed as normal?  See attached diagram

yeah no problem, just make sure the thickness of the tail supports the box and plug.

Make a jig out of OSB/ ply etc

drill the new plug hole. whatever size plug you are planning on using.

tape inside box.

fill resin.

install plug.

Pretty much a 1 step deal as your plug diameter is going to be at least 1" and most drilled out plugs are 1/2 inch.

Sounds like the hole you originally drilled through the resin was too big.

The wall was too thin?

Typically, the resin hole for the deck to the box is 1/2"

Then a smaller hole 1/8"-3/16" is drilled through the deck and out of the fin box.

I use a counter sinking drill bit to open it slightly and remove sharp edge.

Plug will work.

Just make sure you tape really good the hole inside the box.

When you apply pressure to insert plug, it can cause tape inside the box to loosen.

Resin will drain onto the floor.

You can also slide a fin in to hold the tape in place. Seen a few repair guys do that to give a more solid platform underneath the plug repair.

Awesome thanks everyone.