Bruce Grant

While I never met Bruce, I was lucky enough to pick up a new Con this summer here in Oregon. The board

is pure magic and am deeply saddenend to hear we lost another great this last Tuesday. My thoughts go 

out to his family and thanks for a killer board Bruce, it will be used and treasured. 

http://www.dailybreeze.com/general-news/20131105/bruce-grant-local-surfboard-shaper-dies-in-torrance?fb_action_ids=10201754069166563&fb_action_types=og.likes 

Like you I know little about him on a personal level; but have seen his shapes and knew that he was doing the “Cons” of recent years.  I’ve seen some of the “Uglys” and was extremely impressed with the refinemant and subtle imporvements he made on that particular shape.  One could say that a Con Ugly was anything but ugly if it were shaped by Bruce Grant.  While most retro longboards from the 60’s—70’s these days come off the machine;  an unheralded shaper somewhere has to make the improvements and refinemants to a plug or proto-type based on the original design.  Much like Dennis Ryder has done to the Penetrator.   Sad to see so many of the capable old guard fading away.  PS----   jmyerz,  would like to take a look at your Con sometime.  I’m in PC.   PM me and I’ll shoot you my cell #   Lowel 

Bruce was a good friend and very kind and gentle person.He had been having some health issues in the recent years but still doing what he loved by shaping. On 10/27/13 he shaped his final board as a demo in Mar Vista at a shaper supply warehouse. That was in conjunction with the Longboard Collectors Club. I believe that board was to be auctioned.There will be a paddle out at Torrance Beach on 11/16/13 at 3pm for him. All are invited and welcome to come.

Mickey,

Please send my condolences to all friends and family as I up in Oregon and cannot make it down.

J