" SURFING FOR LIFE " .....

LOVE this dvd !

finally got to watch it , after all these years !

featured

woody brown [my hero ]

doc ball

leroy grannis

rabbit kekai

fred van dyke

peter cole

john kelly

women …

anona napoleon

eva fletcher

shay bintliff

ranging in age from

61  to 93 years old

inspiring , entertaining , enlightening , insightful

some GREAT archival footage , interviews , and comments

made in 1999 ? [its a bali copy I watched , so…]

some of the stars have passed away , by now

woody brown … **WHAT **a guy !

cheers !

ben

That is a good one. I taped it off cable some years ago.

I need to look that one up.  

David Brown (no relation) the director of “Surfing for Life” also did  a great bio film about Woody called “Of Wind and Waves”. He was so inspired by Woody during the making of the first film that he did another on just Woody.

The website is www.ofwindandwaves.com

Woody, such a great guy.

thanks , Moss !

**Surfing for Life **can be watched online at:

http://www.cutv.ws/documentary/watch-online/play/6098/Surfing-for-Life

It’s been a long time since I watched this movie, and I remember that I really enjoyed it. But I also seem to remember the actual surfing footage being pretty weak, and not really representative of what the older generation is capable of. Anyone else remember it that way? I guess I’ll have to watch it again.

IMO it is/was as much about the individuals, their lives and how they lived rather than focusing specifically on their surfing.  However surfing is/was the core essence of their lives and who they are/were.

Depressing too, because it reminded me/us that as the sands of time flow through the neck of the hour glass, our physical abilities, strength and stamina wither away.

But it is also about appreciating any time we have remaining to spend/play in the waves and ocean.

BTW, **“Of Wind and Waves” **can be watched online also:

http://www.cutv.ws/documentary/watch-online/play/6099/Of-Wind-and-Waves–The-Life-of-Woody-Brown

True That! We can’t stop the sands of time, but I dig out my copy  and watch it to inspire me when I feel the weight of 71 years. It never fails to lift my spirits and then head to the beach for a few waves.  I know that I’m fortunate to be able to surf at my age and fortunate to share my local break with people who make room for me in the line-up.

Billy, At The tender age of 63  I feel like a Kid after watching that Documentry. 

Thank you for posting those links.  I watched both movies and especially enjoyed the Woddy Brown movie.

In other movie link notes, I found yesterday that both the Shaping 101 and Glassing 101 videos by John Carper are now up on YouTube.  They are a little outdated but still worth watching.

Woody Brown is now my Hero.  Watched both Videos . I have watched people taking off from The Glider port abodes Blacks Beach for years never thought about the how and why</pit it was there.
Then There is building the the Modren Catamaran and launching Multi Hull sailing to the Westren World . Like I said Woody is my new Hero the man has lived a life as full as anyone could ask.

I wondered why Doc Paskowitz wasn’t in that movie, when I first saw it. He struck me as a perfect subject for that theme. Then, I saw Surfwise a few years later. I can only guess that Doc had his own project in the works and declined to participate. But, he was also known to rub some folks the wrong way and that might have had something to do with it.

It was produced by David Brown so I assume that he filmed the surfers that were close to Woody and people in the Islands.  I agree That there could have been more surfers that are advanced in chronological age 
My sweetheart says I’m 63 going on 18. I’m really stoked since I just bought a new Steve Foreststall off of eBay. 9’0" with a slightly pulled in nose 14" tail and channlled between the thruster set up. I have wanted one of his boards for some time now. Ok off topic

Thanksfor posting this thread, I really enjoyed watching the DVD! Puts it all in perspective nicely.