The Essentials: 5 tools of Ryan Lovelace Surfcraft

Check out this cool video of Ryan and Trevor Gordon trimming away on their V-Bowls.

After you’ve watched that, take a look at the 5 tools that Ryan depends on to shape a surfboard. It’s not about fancy tools, just how you use them.

Yeah that’s kool; but I really would like to see some video of how he uses that Sponge Trowel to shape and what he glues the paper onto the foam with.

Video should be posted in mid to late January McDing. 

!

That is a foam sponge tile grout float. They come in varying densities and surfaces. With the smooth faced ones you can simply use Taki glue like the Power Pads. I would round off the corners first though. They come in different lengths as well.

:slight_smile:

Stucco float, used to raise the aggragate in a sand finish.  You won’t find it in the tile tools section.  For sanding, first apply some cotton cloth to the sponge with some 3m spray 90.  Then apply sandpaper to the  float with tacky or spray 77

“Do you know the address for the Ryan Lovelace Fan Club?  Where do I send my dues?”

You might try PMing easternpacific.  :slight_smile:

Tool with tools.

…I know is better to keep the mouth shut however, I cannot resist to say that “took me forever” to understand that is with these stuff that these guys build their “international shaper” status. A thing that you and me, mere boardbuilders cannot achieve no matter how functional, modern, well constructed and finished your boards are when you show its to the businessmen that make the deals…

Also, wondering about how these guys can have lots of good surfers (mostly in California) avid to use their boards (other big factor to enhance their reputation)
The clip is good. The surfer with the cap is totally dialed with the equipment and wave; very dynamic and fluid. Ryan Lovelace good too. That type of wave helps too.
The fun/fan club I do not know but may be RL can say something here; he s a member (surferguy80)

Any job is honorable.

…so DS, yes, confirmed as I mentioned in the Japan thread.

Regarding my questions, still I do not have an answer…why Fiberglass Hawaii, for example, decides to make a clip, etc with a guy, like you wrote, that barely can shape a clean board?, so in my opinion, is with these things that these guys can/would construct/build their reputations…then is a snow ball.

I do not think that is the money to make lots of fairly good surfers to want to ride those boards. Growing growing and growing the “myth” of a “skilled shaper (board builder in some cases) that comes from California to shape n boards and …” Nothing beat up these things, when you talk with the right businessmen to try to make a deal. I know that from long time, what I do not know, hence my previous comment, is the way that somebody wants to make a clip or enhance some reputation…what do they think about it? How do they pick up the “hot” one?

Last year I saw a clip from one of these new retro shapers from Aussie land and the guy do not even know how to pick up the planer and do the passes!! He s grab the planer with one hand then holds the cord with the other and the cord pass on top of the shape and even touch it and damage it! BUT do not forget: “skilled new generation shaper that comes from ---- to…” It s like a bad joke for my taste. It s like when the music industry try to tell sell some newly teenager group that only knows how to move, pose and dance but not how to play or compose or have something to say.

I couldn’t agree witn you more Reverb. You don’t have to shape well you just have to surf well.

Or sponsor someone who does.

Then maybe the bucks will come.

****What’s really going on here? 

BzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuuuuT.

P.S. 

Has anyone seen Suzy Creamcheese?

Suzy Creamcheese, oh baby now what’s got into you?

ps. it was the Mudshark.

Reverb, it’s not just about the board, its about the image and lifestyle.  For Fiberglass Hawaii, and I say this as one of their customers, and think they are the best, They are in the business of selling materials.  So they take a kind of cool imaged shaper, and push the image that anybody can do it, an if you try it, you can be cool like this guy.  This way, they sell more stuff to more customers.  Build the customer base by getting more customers into the marketplace.

Everybody has an angle.  Veterans push the “I did it first so buy a classic”.  Sponsored shops push the “Kelly wins on this board”. 

Don’t grumble about getting left behind.  Get in front of the parade.  If you are cool enough, and can get any girl you want, then you can be a rock star and sell it.  If you want to pay the magazines for the add space, you can be shaper of the year too.  If you have some “super secret” mystery method of building, sell it.  It works for Lib Tech and Coil.

But it could be worse.  Guess how many “Actors” are working in Starbucks or waiting tables.  It isn’t easy getting famous.  If it was, everybody would do it.

And I’ve said this before, with the same skills and tools, you would make more cash doing car body and boat repairs than making surfboards.

…help I’m a rock!

… it CAN’T happen here!.. ?..  ;O

Let’s make the water turn black.

…yes, of course is the ABC of marketing, but the snow ball just rolling; I mean, how s the thing in the firsts stages? May be the first thing is transform it yourself in an Internet idol? Then step by step on line mags, blogs, facebook? then some shop and some cool rider?..
Very possible, but still insist that all of these is only doable if you are from California; not possible if you are from other places; no matter what place, you can name it; even in the US. No “Lovelace International shaper” if he was from, say France.