first flax surfboard coming out

hey all surf fellows,

this is what i just finished with flax material, share with your guys.

Cheers

Robert

Any pictures of the build in progress?

Is it only flax or did you also use glass?

Gentlemen - 

Robert Perry has in the past sent me requests for technical information, without first divulging that he is the manager of a China-based company.

These pics are of more Chines made pop-outs.

"Robert.Perry

Managing Director

ITS Composites Consulting Service Co. , ltd

Rm 402, No.1019, North Nanquan Rd,

200122, Shanghai, China"

Speedneedle. Send him a Bill for you’re consulting.  Try billing at $500 an Hour plus expenses

Hey Speedneedle,

thanks for your what you did with me before and nice to see you again!

for Hans and Huck,  lamination schedule is ply of flax sitting on the bottom while another ply of fiberglass on the top to both provide strength and protect flax from sanding issue.

Cheers

Robert

Hopefully your conversion costs aren’t too high, and with the right KPI’s and distribution networks ITS composites can remain a competitive and forceful entity in an otherwise choked up global market space. 

Do I get a job now?, I can tick boxes better than anyone. 

Hello Beerfan,

thanks for your words, but not quite clear about KPI, what is that?

Cheers

Robert

Wow! This is awesome! Right now I’m manufacturing boards made from frosted mini-wheats and the results are amazing! One side stays soft and the other side stays crispy in milk! IM me bro!

… do you guys deal in hemp , also  ?

boards , I mean

how’s the surf been in shanghai , lately ?

[ hey , Artz …that’s a GREAT signature you got there , by the way !  similar principle to how indigenous people here would call 'Australia Day ’ …  **‘invasion day’  **!]

Key Performance Indicator. Maybe you use a different buzz word but it’s the same thing. 

TO Beerfan,  buddy, we do carry out blance scoredcard to monitor daily performance.

To Fins, right now, we are working closely with flax supplier to produce Flax boards only, as for hemp, my american engieers mentioned that once time, but we need to focus on one thing, and move forward lately.  here is no many people surfing in Shanghai, it is still a new thing for Chinese.

cheers

robert

I believe peter drouyn went surfing in china in the 1970s , and saw photos of throngs of children following him down a sand dune . [but not off a cliff.

The flax boards I’ve previously seen here were whitey coloured / milky …did you dye the flax , or is it available in plenty of different colours , there ?

I asked about hemp boards , because I’ve seen a few in my west oz  days …some margy’s ones , and some banksy ones. I believe banksy still makes them for custom orders. I have made a few hemp inlay fins over the years here , too.

I layed up a flax fin panel once …, but it looked a bit average !

( … I may as well have laid up a bed sheet in the panel !    :)  )

Hello Fins, we did only 1 ply of UD flax, that is probably you thought like milky, we do have dyed flax but it is all about application costs buddy. we dont wanna make sth, pretty cool, but too higher than industrial average costs.  wow, u did flax lamination for fin? any photos shared? do u find it is helpful ? we did develop some prototypes before with flax. cheers robert

Hello Fins, we did only 1 ply of UD flax, that is probably you thought like milky, we do have dyed flax but it is all about application costs buddy. we dont wanna make sth, pretty cool, but too higher than industrial average costs.  wow, u did flax lamination for fin? any photos shared? do u find it is helpful ? we did develop some prototypes before with flax. cheers robert

I certainly didn’t notice any difference in the fin set’s performance …it just meant I had a set of fins that were white ‘inside’

The same appearance could have been obtained by me , spraypainting a couple of layers of fibreglass white [or pigmenting them ] , prior to laminating the rest of the panel .

there are photos here 'somewhere ’ !  [under ‘chipfish61’ ]

cheers !

ben

… I am still not sure why your flax is  BROWN , and looks like WOOD ,  though ,  " Robert " ?!

Hey ben, in order to answer ur question, what flax, i mean where, i got, it is an engineering flax or like cloth? i can show u something like this flax boards (not made by us), only for you to see color. Cheers Robert

from this , it looks like there are PLENTY of colours !

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1350&bih=640&q=flax&oq=flax&gs_l=img.3…0l10.1481.2886.0.7493.4.4.0.0.0.0.690.898.1j1j5-1.3.0…0…1ac.1.32.img…2.2.760.tIcgOACl7cE#hl=en&q=flax+material&tbm=isch

it is often used interchangeably with ‘linen’ , but may not be the same , actually

a google search of ‘flax’ is even more interesting …

I have been using a 150 gr/m² (4.5 oz/ft²?) plain wave flax fabric with an epoxy sizing made in Belgium by LINEO. It has a tight wave, it’s easy to cut with no unraveling strands and excelent wetout. From their website: " This range of sized flax fabrics has been developed to mainly enhance the vibration absorption qualities, weight reduction and aesthetic aspect of composite parts. It also allows the development of greener material."

To Ben, u may spend another mins on such material, and explore what you could use for your own projects, i will also run more trials in coming months.

To Cesar, well done!  what is ur current lamination schedule on that flax boards? how is performance as well as weight reduction?

Cheers robert