My Favorite Challenge/Task

Just recently had a request, from a fellow recently back from Tavarua, to produce a classic full on pintail gun for him.    The task is to produce a board with break away point and shoot speed, that  also has top to bottom turning capability.      Single fin, of course.       The board will be 9’ 6’’ x 21’‘.       Very similar to the last gun I made for myself.       Mine was 9’ 6’’ x 22’’ and 3.5 ‘’ thick.    The new board will be max 3 inches thick.    The customer is much lighter than me, and just doesn’t need the same floatation that I required.     So, now I’ve got something to really sink my teeth into.    This is going to be fun!     It is truely my kind of surfboard.    Next step is to order the blank.

I’ll be watching this thread Bill!

So will I hope you post some pictures of the process and finished board.

+1

Cancel the surgery, heres a build thread worth waiting for.

What kind of classic?

60 classic

70’s classic

80’s classic

90’s classic

This is Swaylock’s, Bill. Instead of ordering a blank, you should MAKE one.

Bill,

Are you going to unveil the mysterious new fin on this board?

Roger

I’m considering it.       Part of me wants to, more of me doesn’t, at present.     Later,  perhaps.

Have fun Sir - it gets funner everything f’ing single time !:/?

Bill;  really interested in seeing pics of this.  I am curious as to what you will be doing for rocker.  My old school guns are usually 2 + 1 RPT’s with flat bottoms, vee, and natural rocker.  They work well in moderate Sunset and XX Cal. surf.  Don’t know how they would work at Tavi tho.  Not asking for secrets either!   Have a good one, just my 2c…

The outline and rocker will be what I successfully rode at   Sunset (15ft +),  Waimea (25ft) , Laniakea (15ft), Pipe(10ft), and Makaha (20ft).    Doc White rode one of my guns at Makaha Dec. 1969 in 30 foot point surf.    I feel that the board I build, will hold its own anywhere.  The pintail template is one that I developed for Jim Fisher, a pioneer big wave rider, renowned  in the day as a real charger.    My avatar is me at Sunset on a 10’ 3’’  pintail, made with that ‘‘Fisher’’ template.    The same board in the avatar is the one I rode in 20 foot Makaha.   The best single day surfing that I ever had.

“This is Swaylock’s, Bill. Instead of ordering a blank, you should MAKE one.”

ha ha. And it should be made of EPS and XPS and balsa and carbon and …

Bill,

Lots of photo’s and measurments please.

You know I’m a gun geek.

I eat this stuff up!

Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

The blank was ordered today.       Possible delivery next week.        US Blanks 10’ 6’’ A Gun Blank (blue)        Lots of room to get the proportions, dimensions,  and foil that I require.

photos please …

When the board is completed, I will post photo’s of it.     I’ve not yet decided on the stringer material, but most likely Redwood.     I do my own glueups, to insure that the rocker is exactly what is required for a particular board design.     Like many things, the devil is in the details.     Glassing will most likely be 3 x 4oz deck, and 1 x 6oz bottom, unless the customer wants something different.

BT thanks for sharing with us!

OPS bet your smiling alot more, LOL.

good one on you bill !..and remember have fun doing it !

bill let’s do lunch… call me …we’ll meet up at jim’s…or joe’s?

Aloha Herb,   lunch sounds good.      Joe Jost’s is a bit of a trek for me, but meeting at Jimmy’s will work well.    I’ll give you a call, and see what your schedule’s like.     Looking forward to seeing you.

Bill.