leash repair

I’m trying to repair a leash and need advice on adhesives.  It broke right where the chord exits the molded plastic cord-end holder that connects to the swivel on the rail saver.  I drilled out the cord-end holder and am going to slide the leash back in there and glue it.  Anyone know which adhesives work best for flexible urethane?  The attached pic shows the leash swivel and the glues that I have.  None of this stuff says it specifically bonds urethane, but since there will be quite a bit of mechanical friction aiding the joint I’m hoping at least one of them might work.  I’m leaning towards th PVC pipe cement and gorilla glue.  I think if I try melting it all together I’ll end up with a big mess.

Btw, the smallest container is for windshield mounted rear-view mirrors and the seal cement is for wetsuits, not pinnipeds.

http://www.swaylocks.com/sites/default/files/leash_0.jpg http://www.swaylocks.com/modules/file/icons/image-x-generic.png

if this isn’t a troll post or early april fools, i think the cost of all your glues are more than a new leash. why risk it?

doubt if any of those glues will bond to the leash? melting may work? those type of leashes always break at the molded cap.

you can attach it how old school leashes were put together: take the grub screw out and remove the molded end cap. put a loop in the end of the leash and tie it to the swivel with dacron cord. ask a boy scout what knot to tie or maybe someone on here will remember the name and post it? put heat shrink tubing over the loop/knot. 

FCS leashes are crap anyway. buy a new one you cheap bastard.

…and there endeth the thread , eh ?   :slight_smile:

In the past , I’ve tried melting and rejoining the actual cords , but usually , the leash has broken again , and I have ended up spending the money on a new leash too…

Glue will not work, but melting will. The trick to this is to gently apply a lighter flame and have both ends completely melted and then hold together. DO NOT catch the leash material on fire or it will not hold.

This works well in an emergency and I have had several that have held for a bunch of sessions, but why would you not get another leash?? I certainly would not take a repaired leash out into anything over head-high.

maybe the double sheet bend?

I have another leash, but why not try to repair something if you can do it at no cost and very little effort?  The cord end is glued into the moulded piece when it’s originally manufactured, so there is a glue that will work.  My only question was whether any of the glues I have on-hand will work.

If you insist

drill out the plastic cord holder, take out the set screw,  reset the leash cord with super glue, drill and set with set screw.   Now its fixed…maybe.  But it will haunt you.

Leashes are extruded neoprene, and are meant to be continous, if there is a chunk missing or a slice, or a nick they will break…you can’t glue them back together.    What’s gonna happen is you are going to use it on a big day…you are going to take off and seee a ghost, go over the falls…then spend the next 1 hr drowning trying to get your board back.   You be cusing the whole time, and you’ll be going…dam i should have listened to resinhead and bought a new $9.99 leash.   But no…you are electing to have a near death experience.  I just wish I was there to watch, cheer you on, give moral support and what not!

This thread is like the " I wanna make surf wax thread" All you need is bees wax, parifin wax, 24 lbs of porkbelly, 17 lbs of garbanzo beans, some motor oil, 16- 22 long rifles shells, a bag of  jelly beans, and a old sock…now brew it all together for 100 hrs and pour it into your moms pie tin. and you’ll have a perfect 8lb pie tin sized brick of wax…this recipe makes 75 lbs of wax…just what you need.

Don’t be penny wise and dollar foolish.   Think of this as an omen…go get a new leash… I buy an new one every year, change out the little string thing too, check the leash cup for broken or wobbly brass set pin… All it takes is a little prevention to ward off bad situation, that can go into terrible situations.

Good luck on the recycled leash.

Having a leash break is no fun/dangerous .buy a new one and donate it to this artist below,shoot he will even pay ya

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/spo/4377201815.html

That’s the first I’ve heard that leashes are made of extruded neoprene.  Interesting.  In the original post I said that I already drilled out the moulded plug and am going to slide the cord end into it with some glue.  Obviously a butt joint isn’t going to hold.  Not sure why you think swimming is that big of a deal Resinhead.  I have no problem swimming through large surf or for long distances without a floatie.  If you can’t do that you have no business being out when it’s big.  But this is a comp leash that only gets used in surf about 7’ and under.  It’s really nothing to get upset about.  I was just asking a simple question about adhesives.  I really don’t care if you think I should do it.

Please listen to Jay and buy yourself a new leash.  As he mentioned, check the tie cord, the leash plug, etc. 

PS - I always thought leashes were made from urethane?

Leash ends are heat welded on.

You can  reproduce the heat welding at home.

1. Get an electric iron and some greaseproof baking paper/parchment.
  2. Set the iron on its end on full power with the handle against a wall, or put in a vice if you are allowed (so you can apply some pressure without it falling over).
  3. Cut the ends to be joined nice and square using a craft knife
  4. Heat the ends at the same time on the base of the iron, use a piece of the baking parchment to prevent the leash sticking to the iron and making a horrible mess
  5. Heat them until the ends start to bubble
  6. Push the ends together nice and square with a good steady force for at least a minute or two, the ends will weld together. Blow on them to cool while you are forcing them together.
  7. The join will form a mushroomy fat spot, do not cut the flashing off, it makes a stronger join (at the end it won't matter anyway)

HTH

Just don’t use a naked flame, the charring will make a weak joint.

Use it as a small day leash.

Used to do it loads, never failed in the same place.

I even made a leash welding jig for a engineering module at college

Just a few points.

Heating a leash is about the only way to repair it. One that’s been repaired should be relegated to small wave days.

If a broken leash means the difference between life and death, you’re out in conditions beyond your abilities.

Leashes are made of urethane, not neoprene.

or just go leash-less…

herb