RIP Hobie

Hobie Alter passed away at his home today, in the company  of his family.

I still recall the piece about him on the TV show 60 Minutes where he stated that he did not own a single necktie.

Obviously, a man who lived life on his own terms according to his own priorities. Much to be admired and respected

about the man.

Very sorry to hear, passing of a legend, a very great man.

Aloha Hobie…

One more of the industry pioneers gone.    Underscores the mortality of us all.    Shaping in ‘‘the pit’’ at Hobie’s in 1965,  was an experience that was a milestone for me.    His passing is a real loss.     What is the world of surfing, without a Hobie Alter in it?         Wish it weren’t so.

Bill Thrailkill

Sorry to hear about that.  I’ve used almost all of his toys: surfboard, catamaran, Hobie Hawk sailplane, kayaks, skateboard.  Never got a chance to have a Hobie 33 ULDB racing boat, but almost. I hope he didn’t suffer, didn’t hear that he was ill.  And truly, there is much about him to admire.

RIP Hobie

Classic pic, grumpy!

Yes another legand is gone.  

When I first got into Surfing there was a couple of School Teachers that were opening a Surf Shop in Harvey Cedars NJ.  Theirs names were Bill Grassy and Phil Edwards.  I bought a used Board from Them and Phil took me surfing giving me some pointers Of course at 13 years old I put two and two together and got three.  Since I was taught by a Phil Edwards The Phil Edwards was my surf Hero Naturally I had to Have a Hobie. In my Mind Edwards was the Knight in shining armor and Hobie was the King that the Knight served all others were pretenders to The Throne. 

Is that Grassy or Grassley? Possibly Mike Grassley’s dad? Mike was from NJ.

another irreplacable legend passes…from an era when surfer = waterman, not just a surfboard rider…

loved the Hobie 16, used to sail surf the waves at Black Hand Reef, just inside of Mavericks, on one with a crazy Samoan bartender back in the mid 70’s…insane speed, pure carnage…

we just picked out a new puppy two days ago from the litter, my wife said she wanted to name the little guy Hobie, so we did…not sure she even knows who Hobie is, just whimsical conincidence…

an eternal downwind tack for you, Hobie…

Yeah, like I said up there… the Hobie product line developed in to much more than surfing.  The Hobie Cat, the Power Skiff, the Hobie kayaks with pedal power, etc, etc.

A brilliant guy with a lot of tricks up his sleeve.

RIP

We need to pick up the baton and do him justice in tribute. Waterman is the key. Not just Surfer.

This is a huge loss. R.I.P. Hobie.

Yeah,what an impact he had on sailing…RIP.  Thanks for the toys.

ps I saw on of his longboard at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.  There’s an unique honor bestowed on a surfboard maker.

My regular quiver is all Hobie. An amazing life he had.

Condolences to his family.

ST

I admire Hobie for all he did in surfing and in life. RIP

~Brian

187 RT 71 | Manasquan | NJ | 08736

…these are the reasons why I m not friendly with the machine and the instant shaper. We need to preserve the waterman spirit and not the businessman spirit only.

RIP.

It was Bill Grassy. I think he moved to Aspen Colorado 

Nailed it reverb.

There is a short list of surfboard builders whom I have been inspired by.

Mostly the ones whom have done it all. Start to finish.

From gluing their own blanks to finish polish.

These are my heroes.

Not many guys starting new industries out there anymore who are actually getting their hands dirty.

Hobie Alter has always been a source of inspiration to me.

Blazed a trail for those of us who desire to follow, instead of taking the esay way.

And yes he was more than a surfer.

In my book, he epitimized a true waterman.

R.I.P Hobie.

And thanks for blazing that trail.

A Bro of mine worked at the catamaran factory back in the early 70’s. He said that whenever Hobie walked in they would all get down on their knees and bow. Pissed Hobie off bigtime which they laughed at. RIP Mr. Alter

Innovation, quality and professional.  Hobie was the cream of the crop.

I rescued an old three stringer which had fallen into the hands of morons.  They intended to strip the glass, cut in half and shape shortboards.  None had any surfboard building experience.  It was in my truck that evening and still gets wet to this day.  Took a ridiculous amount of work to save. Well worth it.

Thanks for all the great rides Hobie.  God bless you and your family.  Rest In Peace.

I found some great info, from Bruce Brown, about Hobie, on YOUTUBE in two parts.  Lots of wood in the video’s begining.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3-5WCbFsMs

sickdog