FIN EVOLUTION: Fin Foil Form, and Fin Texture

YES, IT’S BAAAAACK !    I’ve been working on a more efficient method of producing the new foil configuration.      The improved hydrodynamic performance of the design  is a fact.    And yes, there has been ‘‘Peer Review’’ by another builder/surfer.     I’m not pitching a theory, or even pitching anything for sale, at this time.    I’m just saying I’m still moving forward with it.    In the future I hope to offer either fins for sale, or license the process to an existing fin maker, or perhaps provide a service to modify existing fins.    Yet to be done is to combine the new foil configuration with a textured fin surface.   One more thing to explore.   (My new personal board will get the ‘‘full treatment’’ of the fin or fins.    no decision yet on finning,   Either single or twin.)

Bill

Hello Bill! I hope all’s well.I’m fine -I’m head n out to a job right now. Anyway, I might need quad fiberglass glass ons
And wanted to know if I could see sum examples once back. Or whenever you got them k.thanks man.

moving forward…good to hear it bill !

herb

No fins are available, at this time.

Bill

Bill,I read the thread title and thought it said , " Fin Flexture"…

WOW I thought, fin texture that changes to optimise the performance based on flex !!

But I misread it and got all excited about nothing.

Damn.

Still looking forward to your revelation !

Aloha Surffoils,

Yes, there is a ‘‘dirty little secret’’ about the beloved and revered flex in a surfboards fin.     What is it, you ask?    A ‘‘flex fin’’ will slow you down, because they develop a low frequency, subsonic vibration/occillation, that creates significant drag.    I’m not talking theory, but direct observation and experience.      Yes, there was a time when I too bought into the theory of the benefit of flex in a surfboard fin.    That is until experience demonstrated otherwise.    So, yes, you did get all excited about nothing.  

Bill

hey bill sounds exciting, looking forward to seeing what you’ve been cooking up

since this is more of an announcement of your goals than an actual discussion of fin design or construction, I’m filing it in the industry talk folder. - huck