Universal Fin System.

I’m really getting into fin design, modifying standard FCS and Futures, but I’d like to mix and match fins of all religions in and out of one board.

Ideally there would be one fin system that takes futures, FCS, finbox fins, etc…

Does it exist ?

Not yet. But it should be heading that way! It’s retarded how you can’t mix and match fins… sadly it won’t happen as the fin systems are too different. If a designer made a new system, EVERYONE -else would have
to switch over…do see where I’m going with that.

I don’t know if “retarded” is the right word…

I think its supremely possible because all fins have a similarity in that they have a base embedded in the board. 

All retail fins fit in a bench vice, so why not create a similar system.?

Your biggest hurdle right off the bat is cant, fcs its in the box, futures and fin-s is in the fin.

One of these day’s, I think/hope good old fashioned quality comes back. It’s really up to us. Don’t settle for crap/junk!

Acqua Glassing, I thought of that and you could either have a 6 deg insert ( and most side  fins have 6 deg cant ) or you could have a system where you can screw, in or out, the amount of cant.

If you have 2 grub screws on either side you can dial the cant up or down. ( drawings to come)

I think FCS went looking for simplicity with the new click roller/ flexible bar locking system,but the grub screw has stood solid for many years. But I’m sure their major profit is in fins not plugs.

Making a universal fin holder means all boards need your system rather than making consumers choose one or another. So many times Ive wanted to buy a great set of fins but I didn’t have the right plugs/ box in that board ! Funny how companies think about themselves but not the consumers…?

I was under the impression That Lockbox system was the one that fit all. Never used myself but that was the impression that I got. 

hi,this box was the closest to the best of both worlds , fits futures then with an insert to give the cant it fits fcs , the worlds two most popular fin systems in one box , i used them  on several boards, no issues on build quality , under glass construction as well , they don/t seem to be about anymore ,can only think of some sort of conspiracy theory to put the manufacturer out of business, pete

http://www.seabase.eu/docs/Surfboards_F3/

Peteuk, Ive sent them an email to see if they are still available. I’ll let you know what they say…

Hey Surffoils I think its a surfinz product?.. I havent seen that style of box for a few years…

Lokbox boxes fit Lokbox fins only.  You can buy Grip-Its to put FCS fins in there but despite trying two sets of Grip Its with different fins, I was always able to pull out the FCS fins from the box/adaptor with a light tug, even when fastened.  Not very confidence-inspiring.

On a related note I have FCS II in a new board.  The require a ridiculous amount of force to install and remove fins.

hi surffoils, i live quite close to seabase , i tried to get some more boxes about 6 months ago but they are/nt doing them anymore . seems strange that they bigged them up so much on their website and now they are/nt available anymore,

the boxes were good , strong ,light and well made a good tight fit for both systems even before you tightened up the grub screws , why would/nt you use a box that fits the two most popular fin systems?

someone must know the story of why they are/nt distributed anymore , pete 

Guys, I’m going to keep emailing them for an answer and if I can get an answer I’ll post it here.

No leash, I saw the promo vids for FCS II and I thought it would need a ton of strength to use, now I know not to buy them.

Every fin has a base that sits under the surface, it can’t be too hard to come up with a system of grub screws that would align with the various tabs positions to hold all fins.

The change in cant could be thru the use of an insert, but could also be done better in other ways. With all that tech in the FCS 2, you’d think someone would’ve said Hey this is getting a bit too technical for just holding something in place.

Yup, it looked like a complicated solution to a non-existent problem, but I got a deal on a used board with the FCSII boxes.  Maybe that was why.  I won’t be using them at all in the future.  I should probably stock up on FCS x2 plugs while they are still available.

Design one in CAD, then get it 3D printed to prototype it.

It could be an open-source project here to refine and dial in the file and keep it free and available for anyone to print on a 3D printer. What are the Futures/FCS boxes made of? I know you can print ABS plastic pretty easily. Not sure how good the tolerances are and strength for containing steel grub screws. The cost would be minimal to prototype it though vs. getting an injection mold up and running ($$$).

I have handled a set of these in person. We still have a handful of them at the factory. Great idea, but they are pretty heavy comparatively, and the depth of the box only works for FCS tabs and the 3/4" Futures.  So you would have to have 3/4" base quad trailers and/or thruster center fin for them to work with a full set of Futures fins.  But they are well made, and are just installed with the Futures jig.  I almost put them in one of my personal boards, but once I discovered that they werent compatible with the 1/2" base Futures, I just went with my normal Fusion hardware.  

The Other new FCS system will be a problem too, the tabs on that are huge. So it may become  System for Many, vs system for all.

I haven’t used the new FCS 2 fins but the just look to poke out fore at the front or are they more bulkier ?

Either way, here’s a selection of fins, big small old and new, if one box could hold all of these that would cover 99% of fins wouldn’t it ?

I’m thinking a set of three boxes to hold regular shortboard thruster fins as well as a longer middle box that would hold the regular sized fins as well longer bases for larger LB fins. Certainly the side boxes would be used for quads, twins, bonzers.

A set of three the same size and one longer one. Is that it ?

@surffoils, yes thats an issue with the FCSII.  Im talking about the Origins system where the tabs are maybe 1/2" Squares?

Another issue is that fin base placement with the FCSII system 

Probox! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Love those.