Looking for info on my Hobie Positive Force

I am new to this forum and found it while searching for info on my 45 year old Hobie Positive Force.

I custom ordered this board at the J.Rich Sporting Goods in Houston Texas in 1969. It was the last surfboard that I have owned and I surfed it in Texas, Mexico, and  So.Cal. But in 74 I got married and we moved to Oregon. She has traveled with me cross country from Texas to Oregon and through my four homes in Oregon. Despite all the moves she is still in pretty good shape for a 45 year old ;^)   and she has not seen water since. I think she is a Phase 1 as she as the W.A.V.E Set fin box. She is 6’ 10", 10lbs.

If anyone knows more info on this vintage of the Positive Force, I would welcome the information.

Thanks,

Jim

DSCF2060.jpg

Positive force.

A Hobie deal more relative to early twins, prior to Corky’s “space stix”.

Never seen one of this nature… Ah SammyA, help!

Would you PLEASE post photo’s detailing this babe!!!

Love the “heart” deck patch reminds me of a stick I once had, oh w/ lime green pin line!

Thanks for the info,

BTW, the heart knee patch was my call in the original order as was the red pinstripe. I vaguely recall the order check list on paper with check boxes for selections and boxes for custom details…sure wish I still had my “carbon copy” of that order sheet. But back then boards were pretty disposable and I never thought it would be my last board ;^(

We used to pickup damaged mass produced “pop out” boards and belt sand the glass off the rails then peel off the glass in sheets. Then we reshaped the foam and re-glassed them into “new” boards, all in my little single garage. Must have done 20-40 of these.

Jim

What type of additional photos would you like?

Jim

Very nice keep’r

Hey just solo shots of deck, bottom rocker, rails I’ll stop.

Interesting blank looks contemporary only the WAVESET fin box sets the time frame, Got fin?

Thanks,

Of course I still have the original fin ;^)

The rails seem to be about 50/50 until about the Hobie decal and the tail rails are shaped down to a flat bottom on the tail…can’t really capture this in an image.

Does anyone know if there is any meaning to the Hobie “serial” numbers on their boards? Do they tell us anything about date of manufacture or???

Hynson HYPO classic!

Very subject to snaping after age, like my old knees!

Guess Hobie bought these all as packages from Wave Set.

Very cool board.i love the transitional era shapes.ive been able to examine a few different hobie positive forces but none this nice or early.i seem to recall it being one of those rider/shaper models .i.e.:Mickey Munoz possibly?it might be too early for a terry Martin shaped production model.as for the fin it’s a standard wave set (non variable) made by Tom Morey.i would ask the more knowledgeable people born before 1978.this place is a wealth of information. When friends ask me vintage board questions I don’t have the answer to,I steer them here,stoked n board,or Stanley’s/surfcrazy.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Jim

The Positive Force series debuted in 1969.

Even then, a 6’10" was a rarity. Most boards were mid 7’0" that year.

There is no method to the serial numbers.

Yes, Munoz was one of the leading designers of the series.

Nose rocker pic for mattwho

sorry for the lack of contrast

Jim

SammyA,

Thanks,

guess my memory is failing…no surprise. 1969 was my HS grad year. I knew it was shorter than usual when I ordered it, but I only weighed around 135 back then…doubt it would support my 175+ now.  I think we were still knee paddling ;^) and I still have residual knots on my legs. I also think I ordered fewer layers of cloth to reduce the weight.

Jim