Planer techniques - tips & tricks...

Folk’s - I decided to be " postaholic " in order for those of us who’d like to learn sum fundamental shaping tech to get a grip on surfboard shaping.

Ok, I don’t have it down, but I’m learning a little at a time.

Question # 1: is it true when planing flats, you seat the shoe to the edge of surface to be planed - start your cut, and then put the weight on rear of bed to complete the cut?

Planing flats: I usually start at the back edge of blank on bottom…starting slightly outside of the board…planer on edge (angle planer a bit; 40 deg?), or a angle that cuts roughly at a forty…I trigger fully and walk it trying to cut the whole section…corn rows maybe is a good description. Do a pass, put shoe on step you created with previous cut, repeat…sometimes I get a ridge left, and what I discovered is: you can either carefully align shoe to steady itself over the Missed high spot, and mow it off. Or you turn the depth adjustment down a notch and mow it off… surform the rest …

But what about cutting in rocker? Any tips
Would help. I am using prob incorrect methods, but I repair the inconsistencies w surform or block sanding…I’m wondering about different techniques?

Cutting rail bands, I just set it low and cut slow at a 45 deg angle on edge of blank. Any other ways? Let’s learn and share what we know! Or add new techniques in our Shaping tool box.

Cross cutting techniques can also be explored. Pics, vids etc., will help.

What do you think of possible shaping seminars out in Monterey bay!? Maybe have a fee based donation, a host of notable shapers, or anyone who can share user friendly techniques. Would anyone enjoy this type of thing?

The only prob is that I would need to find a host who has a commercial location. Maybe I can use parks and recreations, community center or whatever? I’ll do sum leg work.

Anyway, I think a Surfboard Shaping seminars group —would help anyone learn new tricks, or relearn old one’s you forgot.

Some ideas:

Fundamental planing techniques (tips & tricks).

Rail bands, and various alternative techniques. Basic to advanced techniques.

How to use a surform.

How to make a template etc… would any pro’s or garage guy’s be into this idea?! Plus we can surf afterwards. I dunno? I think it would be Fun!

Here’s what I can do! I got a few extra surforms, a used but solid planer guys can use while at seminar…I got block planes, sand block. My skil is just for me though! This would be ideal for anyone.lets talk about board!

Any Shapers or Glassers who would come to share whatever they teach would be compensated w donated funds equally. There will be a list of Shaper/Glassers, and Folk’s coming to just learn don’t get any compensation - just knowledge. Good or bad idea?!

Note: this is just an idea. I will correspond
W Shapers who I could find who can join in on the fun. A after hrs surf sessions, and pub get together would ALSO be included. Maybe a Disclaimer also. Participants will get a free cd and come away with a super nice board they designed with their own hands! Let me know what you think?