J.J. Adams

Jay Adams, the colorful rebel who helped transform skateboarding from a simple street pastime into one of the world’s most spectacular sports with hair-raising stunts and an outsized personality to match, has died at age 53.

Adams died of a heart attack Thursday during a surfing vacation in Mexico with his wife and friends, his manager, Susan Ferris said Friday.

The man and his wife are born again Christians.

Rip it…

I overlooked this post, but had heard about his death.  There was a nice full page about Jay in Transworld a month or so ago.  A nice tribute.  I don’t buy Skate mags but almost bought that one because the write was so worth reading.  Lowel

interesting to hear they were born again  christians , perhaps a fairlt recent developmentr , as his notoriety in the 70s , 80s and 90s seemed to be associated with substance abuse , if the press were not doing a beat up ?  certainly in the dogtown z-boys movie in the jay adams interview segment , and the end update on screen , it DID speak of incarceration.

I like to remember him for the shots of him in skateboarder magazine and , occassionally , surfer and surfing , as well as some footage of him at pipe , third dip , and other assorted heavy lineups throughout the years .

I guess we CAN say  'rest in peace ', then , eh ?!

And at least he died doing what he loved , too …

cheers

ben

All

were conserned on the burn out.

JJ faired well 

Just taken too soon

The good die young…

How’s the skatin’ and surfin’ in heaven J?