Handmade Wood FCS Keys

Just finished a bunch of wood FCS keys and a driftwood display for a surf shop in Osaka Japan. The various woods used are Enju (Japanese Pagoda Tree) , Spotted Oak, Blonde Cedar, Eucalyptus, Walnut, Birch, Mahogany, Agathis, Lacewood, Bubinga, Cocobolo, Koa, and Brown Heart

Very cool  Nice work

Sol-Utility into art, very nice. -J

I know this is a bit of an older thread but maybe somebody can help me out. Where do you get the hex rod (the actual metal key part) from? Is it straght, threaded? At this point I’m thinking about getting a regular hex key (the L shaped kind) and cutting off a part to use; but I know there’s some place to get it in either cut sections or one long, straight rod. Any help?

While I’m sure you could get hex rod stock the right size from Grainger’s or MSC or a good machinist’s supply outfit, getting the right steel, properly hardened and heat treated and all might not be so easy. Definitely not cheap

On the other hand, as long as you don’t get the cheeziest cheapest hex keys (‘L’-shaped) they are already good steel, hardened right and so forth. And decent ones are fairly inexpensive if you shop around a little. Just be careful not to overheat them when you cut them ( use the thinnest cutoff blade/disc that you can), dip in water after to cool so as not to lose the temper. 

hope thats of use

doc…

Oh yeah!  We all need one of those in the ash tray or down there in the floorboard buried in all that sand.

Josh Martin is doing it, maybe I’ll try to see what he uses.