Vac bagging tips

63 posts |
Last post
bb30's picture

PU Blank with too much rocker. Stringer cut out, added 3" center 2lb foam stringer. Super floppy blank now

bb30's picture

shaped blank

bb30's picture

Desired rocker fixed with vac bagging balsa planks on bottom.

bb30's picture

PEEL PLY     Measuring out and cutting with 2 inch hangover of rails. This will be used for an exposed cork top lamination.

I use peel ply for vac bagging most everything except wood planks such as balsa. I use PEEL PLY for carbon fiber, kevlar, texalliumin, nylon, cork and probably would use it with veneers if I  used that stuff.  

Once cut roll up keeping in mind if you start tail or nose to unroll it when needed.

bb30's picture

Cut cork to overlap rails and an 1/8-1/4 inch to the bottom. It will be sanded off eventually.

bb30's picture

Preparing for fiberglass cloth  to cork foam side

bb30's picture

Four ounce fiber glass cloth cut to cork outline

bb30's picture

six ounce cloth cut 1(one) inch beyond the cork outline

bb30's picture

Vac bag supplies nose to tail in order of placement.

- PEEL PLY( disposable, soaks up excess resin, leaves perfect cork finish for no sanding)

-RELEASE FILM(reusable, have 50+ pulls with this pictured)

-BREATHER CLOTH(reusable,@ 30+ pulls pictured)

-36" VAC TUBE(appropiate length, @ 100 + pulls pictured)

bb30's picture

Wood scraps to keep floppy cork and cloth level for resin application.

bb30's picture

Milk Jug for epoxy resin mixing and catching when laminating

bb30's picture

For beginers I recommend with a double layer of fiberglass cloth to take the length of the board and mutiply times 3(Three) for the total resin volume in ounces. The Peel ply will pull the excess resin through the cork. I am going to cut my 9 oz cup to 7 ounces to wet out my cork/fiberglass.

bb30's picture

Applied resin to cork/fiberglass and wet out(unable to photograph) then flip and center to deck.

bb30's picture

PEEL PLY material over cork deck

bb30's picture

Securing deck with tape. Don't get too concerned with complex nose or tails issues. You can always cut and place nose and tail blocks if needed. I was able to wrap the nose and tail nicely and will see what happens when cured.

bb30's picture

Next is RELEASE FILM. Two reasons to use

1. To protect vac bag from resin

2. To help pull cork over rails in between the tape already placed during PEEL PLY application.

bb30's picture

BREATHER CLOTH. I usually place on the side I am pulling. This was the deck

bb30's picture

Place board in Vac bag. One end is already clamped off(side with inlet nipple).

bb30's picture

Review. Board is in vac bag. Side with inlet nniopple is clamped off and other side is 0pen with no clamp. HOOK UP VAC TUBING TO INLET NIPPLE AND SWITCH ON PUMP.

bb30's picture

The opened end of the bag is 3/4 clamped off. Place a suction source(my festool vac) and place nozzle on breather cloth. Clasp opened part of bag around festool suction with one hand. Turn on festool suction to draw bag to vacuum very quicly.(< 30 seconds) Full disclouser- I stole this idea from Bernie(oneula) while watching him.

bb30's picture

Suck down to about 80% total vaccuum, remove festool suction, clamp off tube completely, your main vac pum is still sucking. Pull slack of bag to make deck side tight as possible and rails bend to bottom.

bb30's picture

Roll out flats then curves just to make sure things are adhering nicely.. Very necessary with veneer. Balsa planks and cork not so much But I do it anyways.

bb30's picture

Forty minutes from cutting peel ply to in bag with full vacuum

bb30's picture

Wipe drips on floor if necessary

bb30's picture

Fan on vac pump just in case. My pumps will shut off automatically if they over heat. Never has happened. Vacuum wood dust prior to turining on.

bb30's picture

See resin being absorbed by peel ply.

bb30's picture

1. Vacuum pump to reservoir

2. Reservoir has vacuum switch and Vacuum gauge

3. Reservoir to bag.

newschoolblue's picture

Bless you, Charlie.

chrisp's picture

newschoolblue wrote:

Bless you, Charlie.

agreed

sharkcountry's picture

Thanks for this thread. As good as it is, I still need to find some time for us to get together and see the peel ply action up close. Bernie gave me a pump and bag, and I still haven't used it myself. I go home and do boards with him.

Did Dennis get in touch with you? He asked me for your contact info.

bb30's picture

Dennis got a hold of me regarding my college loan deliquency? thanks

melikefish's picture

Badass Charlie!

You make it look easy. Hope you got some of that N. Swell this week.

bb30's picture

Hi Jason. Still recovering from two days on the outer reef and 2 days inside for 4 days straight of surfing. Probably next wed and thursday for the ns. Hope you are scoring some good ones too.

grasshopper's picture

cool! thanks for sharing your process!!!

https://instagram.com/grasshoppersurfboards/ 

bb30's picture

removing the peel ply. Stayed in bag 2 hours. Could have come out at 90 minutes.

All off pic also.

bb30's picture

Tail wrinkle, cork overlap and sanded seams.

The tail wrinkle cound be sanded and razor bladed out and patched. I'm putting on tail and nose blocks so ignored the problem.

bb30's picture

wiliwili wood or willy wonka tail block?

bb30's picture

Chose balsa, saved cut offs for reference when reshaping.

sharkcountry's picture

You always make it look so easy.

I guess you were towing outside your house this week?

chrisp's picture

some people complain about how Sways isn't what it used to be and others post threads like this.

thanks again for a great thread BB30

GregTate's picture

Thank you.  thank you very much.  bravo.

all the best

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught. - Winston Churchill

bb30's picture

Hi Andrew,

Here are some pics of the board for the vac bag project. it is currently third in line to be sanded then urethane sprayed. These pics are of the final coat of green room blue jug resin/west coast fast hardener that was brushed on like any gloss coat. Green room pours liked water. I didn't post past where I left off because it is pretty much just surfboard building and no vac bagging stuff. For the 9 people on this site who are interested in vac bagging I will post all the steps in my next project with different materials. Thank you for the PM and kind words. If you have specific questions feel free to ask. If you are on oahu you are welcome to come by for personal lessons/help.

Sparx45's picture

Actually make that 10 people!!!!.I've vac bagged about 20 kiteboards using all sorts of lam combos and with varyong degrees of success I might add. Am thinking of doing both veneer and in cork in future so this a really good thread IMHO.

Many thanks

M

newschoolblue's picture

Awesome.

Thank you.

speysurfer's picture

Thanks for the detailed thread, love your process for it.

Smile @ strangers & use the force.

"Who art the confidence of all ends of the earth, and of them that are afar off upon the sea" Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh...

TurboJets's picture

Haven't been on here in awhile, but incredibly stoked to see you are still at it Charlie!

bb30's picture

Hey Turbo,

You probably are a MBA or Phd grad by now? I am stoked I am still alive!!!!! Come out and visit!!! we have a spare room all ready for you and your family.(are you married????)

warmest aloha,

Charlie

Pic of my new favoirite model

8'10" Domo arigato movingVAN gaurd.

tridrles's picture
Hey Charlie! I haven't used release film yet. Just peel ply then breather then in the bag. Suggestion for type/brand/thickness of release film? Lately I've been GGing the cork on the bottom then with 4oz. S2 glass over. On top I use Palownia and balsa adhered with 4oz glass then 4oz glass over...and of corse deck patch of cork on top for traction! Excellent with no wax! So...that's 11 baggers reading your posts?
bb30's picture

Sounds like you have it wired Les. I really like the balsa bottoms and exposed cork decks. I just helped a sways friend do a carbon bottom and cabon/exposed cork deck. I will try one soon also. I have dusted off all my nylon and my next board build will be a nylon/exposed cork deck build. I have no clue how to get a hold of palownia shot of ordering a container full for cheap. Release film is usually green tint and its only purpose is to protect your vac bag/and breather cloth from getting resin on it. So you must throw your breather cloth away? I get peel ply and breather cloth and release film fromFiberglass Supply (Surfboards, Windsurfers, Kayaks, Canoes, Boats ...   You will have cheap shipping. It is so expensive to ship it to hawaii. Sometimes the shipping of a roll is more expensive than the roll. I only use peel ply direcly to fiberglass(cf,kevlar,e,s glass,texalluminum etc AND CORK) Wood no need. Pic of peel ply coming off carbon. Not sure If I made the file the correct size but I tried.

wouter's picture
Vac bagger 12! Keep it coming bb... Cheers Ps, nylon?
TurboJets's picture

Charlie, You're the man!

I'll PM to catch up, but wanted to post something quick here that may be of help to yourself or others on Sways. It's a product called Compoflex, basically combines peel-ply and breather in one. Or if you are doing infusion they have versions for that as well, so instead of multiple layers (which is always a hassel) there is just one. Not sure how easy this is easy for you to get in Hawaii and it's a bit more expensive, but a time saver for sure. There's the usual problem of wrapping with complex curves, but it's not that bad.. If you're bagging top/bottom as one step you would just leave the sheets flat and it will wrap the rails enough, will just have a small seam after but no big deal. 

http://www.fibertex.com/en-gb/business-areas/composites/compoflex/pages/...

Pages