The Phileas Project

Hello there.

I forgot to post this here as it got going but still early days.

Phileas was the 50th mat to come out of the G-Mat workshop:

To celebrate this, and to say thank you for all the support I’ve been shown by the global mat collective, I thought it fitting to send her off around the world for my mat brethren to ride and to add their own artwork to. The journey started with an unsuccessful trip to Shetland:

After that, it was off to Florida for a stay with John Hughes who had a much better time of things:

slaterphilias

Now Phileas is working her way up the US East Coast. Follow the journey here:

http://customsurfmats.com/phileas

Cheers

G

Hi Graeme, are you the same UK  guy I sent 200 pounds + exchange fee for a surfmat ? 

And then you decided at the last moment to not sell me the mat after you had built the mat and received my money ?

But returned 200 pound so I lost 10% on exchange rates either way because you pulled out of the sale ?

Seems I wasted  $100 for the pleasure of having you change your mind after the deal had been agreed upon. Thanks for that. Very professional, very trustworthy.

To be fair, You need to tell people how you conduct your business ,if it is you Graeme ?

I seem to recall you offered to cancel the deal Brett which was very good of you. I would not refuse to complete a transaction which has already be completed. In fact I would not have asked. I am not aware of any other customers having issues with my business practices.

I’m sorry to hear that you lost money on fees. I would have assumed that would be refunded too. I have sent you an email to discuss it.

G

Oh it is you Graeme Webster, I’m sure I didn’t offer to lose $100 and lose a custom made mat I’ve fully paid for…seems very unlikely doesn’t it ?

I recall sending many emails discussing design, materials, colours, logos. All indications of my commitment to getting the perfect mat and supporting a new surfmat manufacturer.

And why did you later ban me from your mat forum if your hands were clean ? Seems very unlikely that you would ban me if I was happy to lose the mat and hard earned money.

Very unlikely indeed…

You’re welcome to refund me the $100 I’ve lost in the attempt to do business with you.

You may wish to review said emails before posting anymore assertions and insinuations.

Send me any receipts and I will see if there is anything owed to you.

I will not be discussing anything else with you here.

G

Good for me, how ? Or you mean good for you ?

I recall you backed out of the finalised transaction when you realised that you couldn’t stop me from customising the mat. It’s only fair that a customer is able to review a business and that future customers know what lies ahead for them.

Trying to shut down discussion with a recent customer only highlights how a business has a complete lack of interest in its future customers.

I’m sure your emails are thinly veiled threats of legal action rather than open and honest attempts to reach a mutual agreement… Am I right ??? Surely you’ve dropped to that depth straight away as a defence rather than have an honest conversation ?

Your poor business skills have cost me $100 in fund transfers and you know Paypal doesnt give refunds !

If you don’t wish to discuss my honest claim, you’re welcome to go back to your personal restricted mat site and say whatever you like, but this is an open forum. If you like I can start posting our emails but it only makes the hole deeper for you to climb out of. Which is why you’re refusing to discuss it any further.

You’re trapped like a rat by your own words.

These are my favorite threads. I’ve got a bucket of extra buttered popcorn by my side. Carry on gentlemen! 

Going back over the emails it was 300 pounds and here’s a clip from our email conversations back then…

But once it's bought, it's mine to do whatever I please.
 Or that's what I believe I'm free to do ?
 Brett.

On Monday, March 17, 2014, G-Mat Surfmats <surfmatbuilder@gmail.com> wrote:

I’ll be honest, had you told me that at the outset then I wouldn’t have built her. 

G

And here’s my email to you about being locked out of your forum…

Brett Curtis to G-Mat Apr 24Details Hi Graeme, I thought we had an agreement to just get on with life, but it seems you’ve locked my account/ address out of the forum. Is this true or am I mistaken ? Regards, Brett.

I’ll leave it at that.

I’ve visited the mat forum in question as well. In between multiple posts showing off the new GMats (basically advertising), there are posts of people actually looking for advice on building their own. Was any help given to these individuals? Not often, if hardly at all. It was very frustrating to try and get answers from the forum when there weren’t any (unlike Swaylocks). If you go through Swaylocks, almost the same thing happens: GMat posts something, people ask for information, and instead of giving any answers refers people back to his forum. That’s not in the true spirit of Sways. Thank goodness the prices are so astronomically high for these mats, hardly anybody will get one in the States. Surffoils and I have had some messages back and forth regarding building mats and he’s always been extremely helpful, someday I hope to do the same for him/anybody else that asks. I want to say Graeme mentions somewhere he got a lot of his help from Dale Solomonson (or possibly Paul Gross, not sure), weird that he can’t do the same.

PS. I contacted Dale too and he declined to give me any info due to the fact that “it’s his business and he doesn’t want to give out industry secrets”. It sucks, but I can understand that. I don’t understand why almost all the mat makers are so secretive about their pillow of air. The mat community is so small to begin with, you would think people would be willing to help others but I guess it isn’t like Swaylocks. So you say that this mat is making its way up the east coast? Might be time to check it out and, ooops, looks like it ripped on some rocks. Time to reverse engineer the bitch. 

Doesn’t this post look a lot like advertising as well? Hmmmmmm…

Tell us how you made this surfcraft or GTFO.

EDIT: Here is a popular swaylocks post by GMat back in 2009

http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/diy-surfmat-build

Why does this post say you joined October 3, 2014?