Another Auction Find...... Rible

My father called me yesterday from an auction near Philadelphia where there was a longboard about to go on the block.  He gave me a quick description and I gave him the go ahead.  This one is a 9’6 Rible.  Never heard of this lable and didn’t find much info on google.  Anybody know anything about this lable???  All I have so far is a couple of cell phone pictures.  I will pick up the board this weekend.

Bob Rible, surfboard builder in New Jersey.        Mid 1960’s.

As Trailkill says.  I believe Rible’s first name was Billy.  He shaped out of Belmar, NJ, and I also believe that he sold his boards out of the Hobie shop there.  

I see an office on Rt. 34 for an attorney or an engineer named Rible may very well be a relative.  Could be worth a shot to make a contact.

I got this one for less than half the cost of the blank.  I could always skin it, clean it up or take it down a little and re glass.  Can’t go wrong with this one.  What would a triple balsa stringer blank cost?

Jim Phillips shaped for Bob Rible, at one time, out of Belmar.

If you were to go off the street and get a U.S. blanks, probably in the 200-250 range.

Cool find.  Going to have to page through this one mako, but there is a lot of Rible Surfboards nuggets as well as down and dirty east coast surf history.

info on eastern surfboards ??? | Swaylocks

Jim will probably chime in at some point. 

Look closely at the stringers towards the tail when you get it.  Chances are, there might be a signature(s).  I wouln’t mess with it.  Looks to be in great condition.  Patch up the little dings, wax n ride!

This one was shaped by Jim and glassed by Eddie Lister.  Same fin as your’s.

OK then…I got it for 1/3rd the cost of a triple balsa stringer blank.  ;^)

Just looking at where the offset stringer exits the rail, Bob’s rails were very full, that’s my rail and is the nose a slight concave ?

This thread is so old that you may have forgotten.  Hard to believe it was almost 16 years ago.  Years ago you and I messaged back and forth either here or on Facebook.  I sent you pictures.  Your initials are on the stringer and you confirmed that this was a board you had shaped.  I imagine this board had to be very early on in your shaping career.  

Anyone still have a Rible they’re looking to offload?
Would like to purchase one for a friend who is interested as a gift.

1 Like

I sold the one that this thread is about last year. I had fixed all of the dings properly, sanded the entire board and put a fresh gloss coat on it. Rode it a couple of times. Lot of work. Got $450 for it.