Fountain of Youth surfboards

675 posts |
Last post
newschoolblue's picture
Goodness gracious, that thing looks fast. I can only imagine . . .
DEADSHAPER's picture
Thanks. Here's a bit of history that just showed up on Facebook. Kind of a cool blast from the past... ------------------------------------------------------------------- John Paul Taylor is with Rob B Woods and Bruce Fowler. 21 hrs · Instagram · "Helmet days, 12 years old at the NSSA western championships I got 2nd on a crazy twin fin shaped by Bruce Fowler. Still have the board too. Surf was solid 10-15 feet and myself and a kid who was the nephew of Rob Machado named Jensen Hasset were the only ones to paddle out and get bombs out the back. When I surf silver strand after school pumping with no one out all the time".... no bullshit. Photo uncle Rob Woods ---- I asked him for a pic of the stick and he sent one further down the thread (2nd picture here).
DEADSHAPER's picture
Happy New Year 2018! Here's a bit of "young stoke"..... Carl Ekstrom would heartily approve.
DEADSHAPER's picture
I've hit the ground running in 2018. In the wake of the Thomas Fire and subsequent mudslide that destroyed 30 square miles of Montecito, that's easier said than done. U.S. Hwy 101 has been closed for over a week and Cal Trans reported today that we are at least one more week with closure of the freeway. 20 deaths to date ranging from 2 to 89 years of age. Very very sad. In the meantime, the rest of us must go on living and pay the piper. On an up note, I'm incorporating some fresh shapes into the BF product mix. Seen here are the newest stash of BF Mini Longboards & Longboards...... these are versatile, easy paddling & riding surfboards enjoyable for just about anybody. Our sense of community has been challenged and we are answering with heavy sighs much like the mud sounded when it let go under a freak torrential rain inside of 15 minutes. All the weather experts stated that, even without the fire precluding the rain, this fluke event would have created a serious event taxing the precautions any community could take. Nature won, we lost. Man's insignificance was once again proven in juxtaposition with Mother Nature. The best therapy for a builder to feel hopeful for the future......... is to build. In this pic, the foreground depicts the newest group of Aviator Nation tri fin fun shapes. Directly behind those is the first group of BF Mini LB and Full LB's.... the four pictured are 7'6", 8'0", 8'6", & 9'0". I'll be adding a 7'0", 9'6", & 10'0" to the group pictured. That should fit just about anybody in that department.
DEADSHAPER's picture
A special custom request for a 10'0" V Machine from a longtime customer. Perfectly scaled up per my CNC file, milled then handshaped with refinements I have been retrofitting into all the new 2018's versions now commonly known as "Plain Janes". The decision to no longer offer "Stoker V Machines" was a good decision on my behalf because I would still be expected to be a "robot" doing what I believe is a "dumb downed" version of a good design that I made better over 7 years of ego-less servitude, not unlike "indentured servants" were expected to perform during the middle ages. This was not a period of time in man's history regarded as particularly "progressive" to say the least. True designers need freedom to look beyond today and bring tomorrow forward......... to have vision is to look forward versus stand mired in some by gone era...... paying homage is legit, but even with my V8 V Bottoms, I have said the idea was to have a time machine to travel back to that bygone era, hang out and absorb the vibe, then, when everyone else moved on in a hurry to have the next big thing, I would just hunker down, stick with the venerable V Bottoms, and continue to develop them, refine them, and see what their full potential is and could be........ rather than running ahead with the maddening crowd. This one is a 10'0" with special attention to entry points for easy paddling & speed....... the customer will ride this primarily at Topanga Point, and he said "I want to go as fast as possible...... don't forget I'm 6'4", 215 lbs. and like big long boards". Ok.... you got it........ 10'0"x23-3/4"x3-3/4", 15" center long box with quad Futures rail boxes. G's Tail rocker/Panel Vee "The key to understanding any surfboard's ability to achieve velocity is in terms relative to "centerline rocker" and "rail rocker" and the ultimate distribution achieved by deck rocker independent (and not a consequence) of bottom rocker".......... BF ***Props to Bill Barnfield for having the insight to create the methodology to consistently measure surfboards using a "rocker stick" so we shapers could all speak a universal language of design. .
DEADSHAPER's picture
Now that we are into the new year, it's time to introduce some new stuff for 2018. It's no secret that I've made Longboards & Mini Logs for decades. The boards pictured here are a pretty neutral, easy to ride go to design that turns easy, trims well and has the ability to be smooth or snappy depending upon the particular taste of the rider. The design rides Point, Reef and Beach Breaks with equal aplomb. They are available typically with Single and 2+1 fin configurations but ride well and can be optioned with any fin configuration desired. Typical size range runs from 7'0" to 10'0". Other incarnations will include "the Team Model" which will be lighter, thinner & a bit narrower with or w/o Stepped Decks. What I once called an "idiot proofed nose rider for any kook" aka "Ten Over" that I shaped throngs of under the the Clyde Beatty label is being reincarnated but perhaps a little less derogatory in it's description with the new name "1st Responder." It's 2018 and we are heading for summer and the water will be crowded with kooks, wannabes, heroes, zeroes, and legends in their own minds. I hope a few responsible riders will be on my surfboards. We can always pray. Pictured: 9'0 Fowler 2+1 Longboard https://mollusksurfshop.com/collections/surfboards/products/90-fowler-2-...
DEADSHAPER's picture
New perspectives.
lankameese's picture
any ride reports from the owner of this one: BF Stealth Twingle ?? that thing looks so fun
DEADSHAPER's picture
Al's report: Board is faster than sh-t........ has ridden it with the 2 single fins and Hobie keel fins all at the same time. Has hit the lip harder than ever on this board.......... took it out on a bigger day (NJ) and had to take off at an angle then flying down the line at mach whatever. I'm waiting for pix or preferably vimeo.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Mass production can be bitchen too!
DEADSHAPER's picture
This is the Model Description released to shop accounts and general media: The Fowler Team Model is a modern classic approach by combining earlier generation sensibilities infused with modern day elements. It is interesting to note that BF's progressive outline curve developed for more aggressive surfing bears a stunning resemblance to Nat Young's "Magic Sam," which Young rode to fame and fortune during the 1966 World Championships. The less than wide nose features what Fowler describes as "an absolute flat rail to rail that works perfectly with the obtuse, almost squarish round, of the forward rails" for what Fowler describes as "responsible noseriding". The bottom curve incorporates a strategically placed "pitch" that facilitates easy turning while retaining that 60's classic trim position found a couple feet back from the nose. The longer straighter section forward of the pitch angle makes for a stable platform that planes well for extending time on the nose. The rail progression is a heady study in plane geometry and compound curves, from it's "roundish square" forward section to the semi down railed tail section. The slight bellied bottom and rocker apex found beneath the rider's feet demonstrates an acute understanding of what makes a long surfboard turn easily with little effort. Whether your approach to surfing is Modern or Classic, the Team Model is one of the easiest riding longboards you will find on the market today,, backed by a shaper with over half a century of surfing and design experience.
GregTate's picture
Beautiful work Bruce

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught. - Winston Churchill

DEADSHAPER's picture
Thanks amigo. Within an hour of meeting Shawn for a handoff of his new sled somewhere around the home of the tri tip, Santa Maria, within an hour or so, Tracht had managed to sniff out a few gutless little waves along our surf starved coastline. He showed up with his new BF "Green Meanie" Team Model, and offered it up to anyone that wanted to give it a try..... to which 7 other guys jumped on the opportunity, including Scott, the new owner of CCS (Central Coast Surfshop). Scott will be offering the BF line including the new "Team Model". The vibe was friendly and the reviews were all positive: easy turns, great trim and noserides, and super user friendly.......... an overall crowd pleaser. The next day, Shawn had scored a few more ankle snappers on a day that no one else bothered suiting up..... gutless mush with an occasional "sneaker set" of around 2 feet........ a bit blurry, but it gives you a blow by blow on a day that lacked any heart thumping adrenaline or duck diving for survival.
DEADSHAPER's picture
So I guess now I'm getting spammed on this thread. Oh for joy, hopefully Huck will see my "Flag as Offensive" for the OPIDNET China and some pseudo sex page........ DO NOT OPEN IT....... HOPE SWAYS CAN GET RID OF THIS CRAP! Please deep six it! In the meantime, let's revisit some classic Santa Barbara surfing with Jeff Boyd at Rincon 1968 foto by Steve Bissell. One of my favorite shots ever....
DEADSHAPER's picture
THANK YOU HUCK OR SWAYS ADMINISTRATORS for getting rid of the spammers. Life goes on........... there was report of 2 to 3 ft. surf down toward Bolsa Chica. I drove south to meet up & hand off a ten foot SUP I built for my friend's GF........ surf was flat as a lake..... in fact Great Lakes was probably bigger than C Street yesterday. In the meantime, I'm into production for the rare day that surf returns to our Pacific shore........ here's a glance at another Team Model keeping the 60's vibe with a red "Comp Band".
DEADSHAPER's picture
Finally SURF!!! WELL.... maybe not in Santa Barbaria, but definitely in the southland. Jonathan C. got stoked riding Michael "I am Torquato" Di Nichola's 6'8". He also rode a 7'3" BF machine....... at 6'3" and 230 lbs. he's a big, very capable surfer looking for a good time. We talked it over and settled on a 7'0"...... I told him he'd have the float, the glide AND....... there would be the new "SECRET SAUCE" that I'm shaping into all the new machines. I'm really stoked he told me on the phone that his buddies asked "dude...... WHAT are you riding!??" Nice mention re: Stu, a fine craftsman in his own right. Here's some pix of his new sled at 7'0"x22"x3-1/8"......... and a RIDE REPORT!!!!
DEADSHAPER's picture
New Team Models are rolling through. Here are some stock boards available for dealers and factory direct sales. Of course I also ship worldwide. I'm keeping them with a classic 60's look and ride reports have been very positive. Welcome to the family of fun!
DEADSHAPER's picture
Rudy likes unique color designs on his BF sleds. His first board was fashioned after a bitchen wormwood guitar with a green tint to it.... I'll try to hunt my files and add it when I can. In the meantime, he ordered a new V8 because he had an accident which resulted in some stress cracks along the bottom...... just cracks, no major buckling, but he wants to have a back up.. Good wisdom. This one is inspired by some multi colored marbles. It also carries his own personal "Shred Dog" logo. It's a custom project and we are having fun making sure he is stoked with the end result. P.S. I would've dug having those marbles in grade school!
newschoolblue's picture
Very cool look on that marble V8. Curious how long it is. And, is that a twinzer option going on?
DEADSHAPER's picture
Thanks. Rudy's latest V8 board is a 7'6"x23"x3". It's a 4+1 no twingle aka twin single set up. Speaking of the Twingle set up, Al N. formerly from Ven-Tuna now living in New Jersey has been riding that BF Stealth Twingle and loving it......... he ordered a new board to begin building a BF quiver, We knocked around what he was after, he said he wanted something "retro" which led us to looking at some MP's, and he dug up a mighty fine Diffender twinny from a bygone era. We then decided to mind meld them together, or marry them, or whatever the correct term is and came up with this 7'0" Fluted Winged Diamoond Tail. He asked if I could do some previous day color on it to which I replied "sure, no problem, I'll go score 4 or 5 hits of acid and cut loose with the paint". So, that being said, here's the end result. Al saw the pix, gave two thumbs up, and she was packed off and shipped yesterday due to hit the Jersey shore next week. Say cheese!
DEADSHAPER's picture
Testimonial #8821: ‎Mike B.‎ to Fountain of Youth Surfboards 10 hrs · Huntington Beach · Hey Bruce! Just checking in on how much I'm sooo loving my 6'10". It surprises me every time I take it out on how fast and responsive it is.....it's a turbo machine!!
DEADSHAPER's picture
This is a custom for Paul T. It's 8'10"x24-1/4"x3-1/4" from a stock, natural rocker Yater 9'3"Y. Normally I would order a custom rocker into the blank but time did not allow for that, so I did it the "old school" way. Earlier generation shapers had to "read foam" before the age of "close tolerance" blanks and advanced system rocker adjustments widely available today. This board demanded extensive refoiling of the deck rocker & top rail line volume among other things. A lot of shapers I know would not believe this was shaped out of a stock longboard blank.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Shawn finally lined up a photographer when he found some waves on the lonely Central Coast. The photographer doesn't surf but he got off a few snapshots and even broke out his drone for a tester before the sunset put our coast to bed for the night.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Got a nice text this morning from former pro surfer, artist extraordinaire Michael De Nichola. He's riding his newest 6'8" BF all over the planet after nearly wearing out his previous 6'8"....... always wise to have a back up anyway. Here he is seen in the Banyak Islands off the coast of Sumatra. Looks like he's having a good time. He said the board was going uber fast, and he set it up as a quad with a nubster in the pictures shown here. I guess this answers the question if they work in waves over head high mush.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Here we go again: Testimonial #4856 "got the Jane, took out yesterday morning and loving it, caught first wave i tried to get..stoked!" https://instagram.com/p/6s61SIAjTW/?taken-by=bradford_gregory Fountain of Youth Surfboards
DEADSHAPER's picture

Here's a couple new ones headed for a customer in New York. Both 7'6"s.

DEADSHAPER's picture

Shawn and I have been seeking a photographer that has some experience filming while using a drone.  Drones can get some great angles that are fresh and revealing about what a board is doing at any given time when filmed right.  It's not as easy as one might think.

Here is a great example of drone photography with Koa Smith riding a full blown barrel for a bit over 2 minutes.  Think about how YOUR legs would feel after a ride like this?  ......and the paddle back out would make Rincon or Malibu look like a shore break!

https://stabmag.com/…/must-watch-the-best-wave-ever-record…/

DEADSHAPER's picture

Here's a new little demo that wil be heading to CCS (Central Coast Surfboards( in San Luis Obispo. Scott, the new owner, and his crew will ride it first, then release to interested customers. It's 5'6"x20-1/2"x2-1/2" with a high performance foil for lift, popping the top vertically, and easier duck diving. 

I will shape up a few more in various sizes including the "secret sauce" I've added in these "new machines". It's now been eight years of taking a basic, sound, but uninspired design and evolving it beyond its mainframe.

At the end of the day, it's the combining of compound curves to net an optimum effect for surfers that keeps me in the game...

DEADSHAPER's picture

Wanna ride?

gbzausa's picture

Hi Bruce , beautiful picture of a beautiful girl , I am old so my memory is sometimes a little fuzzy , I think I maybe knew that girl or I have seen the pic befor , please tell me where you found that pic , thanks T

DEADSHAPER's picture
.....somebody sent it to me along with many other comments, fotos of them riding their new boards and what not. I also get lots of testimonials on social media & emails....... here's a funny one this morning from Facebook: -------------------------------------------- "hey man,grated,I'm a little drunk but thank you.thank you for making a board that i love.i bought a used(barely) 7'9" v machine.im a bigger guy,6' and 235# but this thing,giant shortboard,whatever is absolutely the best thing i have ridden.turns great.trims perfectly(very important to me as sometimes i stand there going straight down the line and i love it!}its perfect.paddles like it should,just a perfect board.my surfing is more horizontal than going vertical,and this thing does it great.i do go up some times,but i love just pumping down the line and cutting back.thank you again for making this,its the board i have been waiting for!stay great!eric Eric S. AANNDDDD.....one day i will order one of those v bottom rigs.they look super fun and perfect for my style of surfboarding
phebus's picture

Bruce, on your V8 model, you recommend starting with the fin 10"-12" from the tail.  Is that from the trailing edge of the fin, or from the tip of the fin?

Thanks

DEADSHAPER's picture

That measurement is for the trailing edge of the fin.  10" is a minimum & 12" or more is preferred.

If the fin is too far back the board will not pivot carve thru turns.  Fins set too far back in surfboards with  unforgiving rockers will abruptly pop out of the water causing them to hop or spinout.  The generally held notion that moving the fin back lengthens the turn & offers more hold is true if the bottom curve is correct for the fin being used, otherwise you will experience the scenario I mentioned above.

I've had guys approach me with that problem, and they were shocked when I told them to move the fin forward instead of back.  I explained to them that the foreward position helped compensate for the board's lack or deficient tail rocker making it a bit more forgiving while achieving what I call "rail set" or the ability to sink the rail into the water for hold while pivot carving.

Fins, and their positioning can make or break you.

DEADSHAPER's picture

"I evolved the design as well as the fin box placement as time went on.  I moved fin box placement forward to prevent people from wanting to put the fin in the back of the box so they could stand further back on the tail".... 

I originally created the setup where the fin could be positioned in the middle of the box as a starting point.  But as time went along, I found guys thinking they should stick the fin in the very back of the box and then they could stand back further back on the surfboard.  

I have explained & published numerous times that the V8 V Bottom "IS NOT A LONGBOARD" that control comes from standing closer to center and turning the board more like you would a displacement hull.... which it is not, but the action is similar.  I intentionally designed the boards so that a good surfer could fudge his foot position back a little at a time, and as you inch back, the board becomes looser & looser...... eventually you can find a spot back there to do power slides & even controlled spin outs.  I kept the ability to spin out as a true homage to the original early day V Bottoms that were dubbed & written off as "spin out queens"..... even "the boards that didn't work".....

..... the boards DID work.  G&S picked up Midget's design and reportedly sold thousands of them, primarily to the East Coast USA, where, especially Florida ate them up for small gutless summer waves.

In developing my update version, I thought about and focused on the Foil, Panel Vee, Centerline & Rail Rocker to give this homage some validity & allure.  I have referred to it as "A Tale of Two Rockers" and the net result is a surfboard that has tons of straight line trim speed & paddles quite well, like a much longer board than it actually is.  At the same time, with the right foot positioning, the board can feel more like a high performance shortboard a couple feet shorter than it actually is.  A classic example of this was when widely respected, local Hawaiian, Cyril Huddy got his first V8, an 8'2", and all his brah's saw him paddling it and asked if it was a 10'0"...... they werre shocked it was so much shorter.  He told me he had studied and followed what I had been doing with this design, and knew he had to have one.  He said "it does paddle like a much longer board, but as you say, I can move back and find a sweet spot to ride it like I ride my 6'2"'s...."

(Note: The spinning out spawned an influx of big, bigger and really big fins almost overnight.... 10", 11",  and even foot long fins with lots of flex.   What I have found is the more flex the fin has, the bigger you can go.  It's like a windsurfer sail "twisting off" spilling energy.  Oddly, this knee jerk reaction to fix the spin out problem proved to be beneficial as they transfered over to the short stubbies that closely followed after in our quest to go shorter and shorter.  These little stubbies became the first "fin drivers" of the new era.)

At the time of this writing, Midget has come and gone. But the picture of him carving his stringerless 8'0" still remains on my foam dust encrusted shaping room wall, and it continues to inspire me to make this ride for those who wish to sample a little bit of yesterday while rekindling the stoke of a bygone era.

DEADSHAPER's picture

All Hail Big Pink!

This is an EPS/Epoxy V8 V Bottom custom ordered by Chris M. out Montauk NY way..... it's one big puppy at 8'6"x24"x3-1/4"+..... Liters? Oh good lord........... a lot........ he weighs in at 250-260 lbs. but I told him this board will float well for an NFL Linebacker...... hell, make that LineMAN.

The board is...... well, immense in my book, but it's true to the formula and it's gonna turn sweet & out paddle every board around it.  

Just what the doctor ordered for a Long Island summer day!

------------------------------------------------------********************------------- LATER EDIT....................................... BIG PINK ARRIVED in Rye New York this morning...... Chris M.s first impression thru Fazebook.... Christopher M. 10:41 AM (17 minutes ago) to me Hey Bruce Board just arrived and I unpacked it. Wow. You knocked it out of the park. This thing looks amazing. E-x-a-c-t-l-y what I had in mind. Love the color (and glad we didn't go high gloss) and the rails feel perfect. And it’s so light! Can’t wait to get it out. Classy gesture on the extra fin and bag. Thank you. Mac
phebus's picture

Here’s what I’ve got Bruce.  Fin is set 12” up from tail to base. Fin is super flexy, and is approx 11 1/2” tall. Good starting point?

DEADSHAPER's picture

That is one hunk of fin!  Yes moving up is mandatory with that much area throughout the run of the fin.

The Greenough Stage IV-A and other high aspect fins have more base and less tip than the fin you have.  To be honest, your fin isn't my fave outline for fins this size.  

Not to beat you up, you've got what you've got..... that being said, if it were me I would move the fin up so the center of the fin at the base is eactly over the center of the fin box.  It will look right, and it will probably surf as good as it can from that position given what the fin is. Just put it smack dab in the center.

Here's a few other fins that, for me, are a bit more eye catching. The Greenough with less base right below the black Greenough Stage IV-A, is his new "high speed fin".

I have no doubt with a little time, you will her sing buddy, make her sing. ;-)

phebus's picture

I thought that fin would work good, but on your advice, I’ve got a Greenough 4A 9.75” fin that I’m going to put in centered to the box.  Good sized waves today, and I want to make the maiden voyage as successful as possible. I was going to ride my go to board, but too stoked to give this board a whirl, so taking it out.

phebus's picture

Here's what I’m going with, it’s 14 3/4” up from tail 

DEADSHAPER's picture
Now we're talkin'............. go out and spank her hard from up towards center of the board. She likes that and will respond. The harder the better. You can finesse it later. If you want to play with getting loose & looser, just fudge back a smidge at a time. HAVE FUN!!!! ;-P
phebus's picture

Fin at 12” just didn’t fit my eye, so moved it up to 14”. Looks much better, but I’ve never ridden anything like this, and I’m going to have to adapt to a real forward riding position. Whatcha think Bruce?

DEADSHAPER's picture

This angle of the whole board and up a little bit already looks much better. Just move it so it's centered and you are good to go..... then you can inch forward or back to dial in. The fin outline looks better from this angle.

To be honest, I think I mark all the fins with the intent of the right fin being centered in the fin box as a starting point. Just look at the yellow one in the pix I posted.

phebus's picture

Really fun time surfing it frontside. Really fast and loose, was surfing it from the front third and liked it. If caught behind a section, I had a hard time driving around it, but board loved an open face.

Surfing it backside, really had my problems though.  Spun out several times, or had problems getting caught behind and never able to get to the open face.  I’m sure once I get more time on the board, I’ll figure it out.

Paddles super well, and catches everything. Can’t wait to ride it again, I love the challenge

DEADSHAPER's picture

Thanks for the ride report.

They're a different ride to be sure..... I always harp on people not to stand too far back...... behind the trailing edge of the fin is all about quick release of the water flowing off the tail.  The actual wheelbase (length) of the board can be measured from the trailing edge of the fin to the nose.

More surfs are in order, in the meantime, here's a blast from the past with George @ the Ranch filming for "Big Wednesday" John Milius' retrospect Hollywood glitz flick on that thing we do.

DEADSHAPER's picture

Here's a couple stock boards I have on hand.  I have some interest from the East Coast (Philly area) and have re-checked what Amtrak can do regarding surfboards.  

(NOTE: THE BLUE TOMMY BAND ONE SOLD- P/U IN WILMINGTON, DE)

In speaking with them they quoted me one cover price of $105 for a surfboard, packed up to 10 ft. 

After discussing things with them further, I can use a good quality board bag which I purchase @ wholesale, pack the board, then slip it inside the bag. From there I set up the paperwork at my local Amtrak Station with the info for them to notify the customer when it arrives at the closest Amtrak station to the customer.  The customer then has 4 days to pick it up before they started charging a daily "storage fee".  I think the lady I spoke to said it was $1 per day, so no big concern there.

After figuring my wholesale, bag cost, packing materials, & Amtrak fee, that puts a "factory direct" price to the customer @ $795 for either one of these boards.  

I think that's a pretty good value considering it includes a good quality bag, fins, shipping across country for a fun, easy riding go to surfboard.

GregTate's picture

That is brilliant. Never would have thought about a train. 

What are the dims on those?

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught. - Winston Churchill

DEADSHAPER's picture

Thanks Greg.   I used to send a LOT of sailboards during the 80's from Santa Barbara to the Bay area (Oakland Station), Portland & Seattle for the Columbia River Gorge guys.  It was a good deal back then, and with the rapidly escalting prices I've experienced with Fed Ex (even tho' I ge a 45% discount for volume) & trucking companies.

Fuel cost are impacting the shipping part of my business..... so I decided to revisit Amtrak, and it has proven a viable option, esp. when I need to get a longboard across country. 

The boards pictured are standard issue at 7'6"x23-1/4"x3-1/8" & 1/4"......... lots of volume, float well to 275 lbs. and even that is a conservative stat.

My V8 V Bottoms continue to have a growing cult following. The one pictured here is for Al N. who used to live in Ventura but now resides in NJ.  He's building a quiver of boards from me and this is his first V8....... it is 6'6"x22-3/4"x3-1/4" for those sluggish littles waves that hit the Jersey shore.

The last pic depicts a light blue resin tint V8 as well....

DEADSHAPER's picture

Here's a new stick for one of my Aussie customers that already has a 7'6" Plain Jane & 8'4" "V8" V bottom.  Ross B. owns a construction company and is a big guy at 6'4" and strong build.  He ordered an 8'0" Plain Jane and has a mate that wants his 7'6".  Since Zak in Melbourne didn't restock the 20 some boards that sold out, I still don't have a supply connection in OZ, and definitely would entertain inquiries.  There is a good lot of interest for my boards downunder.

This one is 8'0'x23-.5"x3.5" and is what we call a "Volan Special".  The deck is 6 oz. Volan with 4 oz E and 6 oz Volan bottom. Top & Bottom tail patches of 6 oz Volan as well, with wider old school cut laps.  Definitely a strong board. Sanded Finish, 3-4-5 Futures fin box option.

I'm doing a multi layer bubble wrap job then putting it into a good quality board bag before dropping it at Amtrak Santa Barbara, where it will go out on the Pacific Starlight to Portland for $85.  Insurance is $1 per $100 insurance, so I'll spend $10 bucks for $1K's worth.  The travel info shows a few transfers, one in Bakersfield & another in somewhere called Martinez CA (never heard of it) before making Portland 26 hrs & change later.  I was told that Amtrak is very familiar with surfboards these days, and htey are handled like luggage, NOT put down as a platform to throw other passenger's luggage on top of.  In fact, they are commonly Top Load.  On transfers, they are removed along with other luggage and immmediately stowed into a locked storage room until they can be placed on the next train.  Amtrak tries to put them on a same day train, but that can't always happen, so it is best to factor in a day or two because of this.  There are no tracking numbers.  The East Coast stations regularly take 4-8 days, which isn't bad considering that Fed Ex Commercial or Home Deliveries take 4-5 days and cost twice as much if not more.

I was a bit conocerned when they told me the Pacific Surfliner doesn't take surfboards over 7 ft. but then they told me this 8 footer can go on Starlight which accepts up to 108" (9 ft.).

Enjoy.  This is a strong board with all the Volan, and it needs to last considering the exchange rate between $USD and $AUD. Handshaped out of a 8'6" blank for extra float.

DEADSHAPER's picture

These Balsa boards have sold and are headed to Florida via Amtrak.

They will leave first of week from SBA to MIA (Miami).  I've got to drop one vent into the 6'3" MiniMAX one then pack them up and send them to their new home, a customer that already owns a nice group of foam sleds from me.

There is a 6'9" five fin left (pictured with bottom showing up) that remains from this group, then all gone.  One shaper I know from NZ wants it but current exchange rate is tough ($1USD=$1.50NZD) plus about $347 USD shipping and 15% GST.

I am sending an 8'6" Foam F.O.Y. to a customer that will p/u in Auckland......gave him a great deal so we could make this happen. Still, somebody really has to want one of my boards to pay that kind of moolah!

GregTate's picture

Bruce, those balsas look beautiful.  Is that a stain or some other wood inlay on the dark areas?

all the best

Pages