Fountain of Youth surfboards

675 posts |
Last post
DEADSHAPER's picture
This one for Miguel G. is epoxy resin on polyurethane blank. He wanted some color patterned off a fin he had, so lots of color to color taping off on this stick. Board has the 3-4-5 Futures fin box option to be ridden as a tri or quad. 6'6"x21.5"x2.8"
DEADSHAPER's picture
From Facebook, a post from Christian Gardner riding his 4+ yr. old BF 6'4" Stoker V Machine...... he also has a 7'4" & a "V8" for other days. Christian is 183 lbs @ 6'3" and 48 years young. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1975487182468803&id=31...
Huck's picture
Nice!
DEADSHAPER's picture
Pictured here, a 6'6" v Machine at Pavones..... Jord Fortmann, I believe a surfshop owner in Amsterdam or thereabouts, borrowed one of Danny DiMauro's sleds while down there on his annual pilgrimage to Pavones. Hope this works.... Jord Fortmann‎Fountain of Youth Surfboards August 3, 2014 · "Stoked to ride a V machine made for Pavones! It works amazing that's for sure!!" https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152633859863372&set=pppbo.3175...
DEADSHAPER's picture
This talented guy treated himself to one of my boards for his birthday. I hope he's finding enough time to ride it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep6gaN85L7A ....or you might prefer the more slick version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgZkm1xWPE
DEADSHAPER's picture
Michael Torquato de Nichola and I have entered into a collaborative project with "Forever 21" as the first limited edition being offered thru galleries (or direct contact) worldwide. Both of us like to live prolific, creative lives, and the joint effort promises to a be a fun & fulfilling adventure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAXsrz8ro6g&feature=youtu.be&mc_cid=04fc...
DEADSHAPER's picture
The V8 V Bottoms continue to catch people's attention and demand has grown. I am shipping more of them worldwide including Hawaii & Europe. The board pictured here is for Timo G. who is an artist that works in a prestigious art museum/gallery in Berlin. He was going to have me ship it to Lisbon, Portugal but the board is finished ahead of schedule, so we will send it to Berlin instead. Timo is planning on relocating to Portugal later this year. He requested a narrower, thinner V8 using our Isophthalic resin. This resin has a distinctive color to it and rivals epoxy in strength (see right rail in the one pic). The shape is 7'10"x21-1/2"x2-3/4" with thinner pinched rails. He opted for a single fin, and I use the Fins Unlimited 15" box as standard issue for this size board. The board has a very high performance foil with a 1/4" Cedar stringer, which adds to the old skool look. He requested no logos, as he is a graphic artist and said he wanted to personalize the board. No biggie to me.
DEADSHAPER's picture
I recently sent a V8 to Maryland and the response was very good. The customer let his friend ride it and the result is another order. James E's is 8'0"x23-1/4"x3-1/4" which he feels will fit his needs for his area. He liked the look and what I had explained about the ability that Isophthalic resin has in cross linking the molecules of the resin as the styrene monomer flashes while (typically) being cured with MEKP (catalyst). Isophthalic is a step up from Orthophthalic resin. Vinyl Esters are yet another step up, and through the same or similar process superior cross linking of molecules results (compared to polyester resins) in increased toughness, high heat tolerance with less porosity and improved resistance to osmosis in marine applications. (Note: Vinylesters are used in applications requiring superior corrosion resistance or toughness properties. Vinyesters are a formulation of epoxy resin and methacrylic acid, resulting in a polymer that has characteristics of polyester and epoxy.) The content percentage of styrene in Ortho, Iso, and V.E. varies to allow viscosity for working purposes. (Note: Epoxies do not contain styrene, they use polyamines for curing. Styrene dissolves EPS aka Expandable Polystyrene foam. However, Vinyl Ester prices out at about twice that of Isophthalic resin, which is also more expensive than ortho and commonly used polyester resins. He also liked the 4+1 option using a 15" single fin box and the Futures quad set up. I now have another customer in Delaware that wants a board exactly like James' board.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Carl K. is a long time surfer living on Oahu. In fact he said he's not far from the old sugar mill that now houses Pyzel (a fellow ex-Santa Barbarian) and a host of other craftsmen and eclectic businesses. He decided on going with a 7'6"x23-1/2"x3-1/4" for plenty of paddling ease & float. He also requested the FCSII fin system as he has many FCS fins that he would like to try with this new board. He opted for a 10" Volan Hand Foiled Greenough Stage IV-A for the center fin. similar to the one pictured here. He prefers a standard glassing schedule using our new Silmar acrylic modified polyester surfboard resin. We are very excited about Silmar's new product, SIL66BE-2880, which has been tested by professional team riders in international competitions and a first place was won on a board using their new product. The resin stays whiter longer and markedly resists denting while remaining crystal clear. This signifies a change from the commonly used, decades old, Silmar 249A Revchem (Interplastic Corp.) has offered since their startup back in 1961.
DEADSHAPER's picture
John W's 6'0"x21.5"x2.75" Semi Classic Fish Board gets Cut Lapped Volan cloth with Glassed on Geppy fins, Glossed & Polished finish. Schwiiiiiiing! JW's profile: Rails are full and down railed!. A bit more rocker than the sub 6 fishies with a smidge of single concave midship and dab of vee in tail section. High speed guaranteed. Flat deck, fuller rails, razor sharp defined tail rails with full down rails to the nose. Just enough tuck where needed for release. Not as straight/parallel an outline in the tail as a Lis Fish & some other others out there. Previous feedback on this approach has been tons of speed & great projection thru turns.
johnmellor's picture
That's a clean looking fish!
DEADSHAPER's picture
J.C. leaning on his B.F. in C.R.
DEADSHAPER's picture
It's nice to know every one in Hawai'i has mellowed now..... it didn't used to be that way, and every time one of us haoles landed and headed for the beach, we were blamed for Captain Cook (or whoever it was) bringing missionaries, tooth decay and syphilis to paradise. Nowadays it's not a crime to be "JoJ"............ or, "Just Off Jet"...... but please, still mind your manners, and don't start talkin Pidgin after being on island for 3 days. Still, I figure there are a few guys on Oahu that haven't forgotten we ripped off Hawaii and stole the sovereignty away from, what's her face.... Princess Kaiulani (and what a face she had too - a real island beauty!) So with that in mind, I figure an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..... hence my "bomb proof" method of packing Carl's new Glossed & Polished 7'6" V8..... Hi Bruce, I picked up the board and it looked like it was thrown out of the airplane and landed nose first on the tarmac. But after removing all the layers of foam, tape, bubble wrap, and pool noodles, I was relieved that the board was in complete perfect condition! Your bomb proof packing saved the day! The board is beautiful...exactly what I wanted. I rode it twice already. It paddles great and I am surprised at how early I can takeoff and get in. I must admit to spinning out on the first few waves until I really concentrated on turning from a forward position and taking it easy on the bottom turn. I also moved the fin further aft. I can't believe the down the line speed and full tilt cutbacks I got in waist to shoulder high town. Mahalo Nui Loa, Carl
DEADSHAPER's picture
JW's board is done and ready for p/u. He's driving north to Go Go Goleta and will have it in his hands by noon. Let's pray for surf as is always the case when you get a new sled. I decided to use the larger Geppy fins with a bit of rake and curve in the trailing edge for this one...... it made sense to go this way with the board being a smidge bigger than some of the others I've recently made that had a flatter profile. The board feels solid with the Volan glassing and glossed & polished finish. These pix were taken when it was glossed but b4 final polishing....
DEADSHAPER's picture
Cut & Pasted from Fazzzebook... Bruce Fowler Timeline Recent StatusPhoto/VideoLife Event Public Post Bruce Fowler 10 hrs · Testimonial #3379 - 6'6" Epoxy S Glass 3-4-5 Fin Option Custom. Hi Bruce... I wanted to give you some feed black... the board killed it! You were right, Pavones was a race track. I got by far the best waves of my life on this board. We got a solid swell 5-7 ft with some massive set waves. She handled beautifully, I did have better luck with the quad setup. I've never gone so fast, turned so much or have ridden a wave for 300-400 yards ever. What a blast! Jose used my 8'5 v machine on 2-3 ft overhead and it handled it without a problem. I used it for a few waves and again, had a blast! Thanks again for the great boards! Michael.
GregTate's picture
Good stuff. I'm still reading it. all the best

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught. - Winston Churchill

DEADSHAPER's picture
More nice words...... On Kauai surfing Pakala, on your 8'4 V-8. Bought from Hawaiian South Shore, last year. Just-to-say......had another great session, on your board. Really cool.! Tenks Once, I get the dollars together.....that smaller version will be ordered. More details & questions about the custom, when I get it together(money wise). A big mahalo for the stokes. Aloha, Pete
DEADSHAPER's picture
Riley Cabanero my Central Cali team rider got accepted to school in Hawaii. Here she is getting her BF that I packed up and her mom brought over yesterday, Go Riley!
DEADSHAPER's picture
Yogi M's V8 with accompanying G-IV.A fin.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Robert G. Aka Paul picked up his new V8 8'0" Blue resin tint @ Hawk's yesterday then followed me up to my house & snagged this 8'6"x23"x3-1/8" O'riginal to supplement the 8'0" BF Std. he already had. Then he saw a 6'10" Mega MiniMAX to round out a new quiver b4 heading back north to Central Cali. Thank you for representing!
DEADSHAPER's picture
The Unicorn Model was originally a request from Long Island for a good, all around longboard that would work in every day waves. I've worked all the templates up and can scale anywhere from 7'0 on up to almost 12 ft.. main sizes are running 7'6" to 11 ft. and offer up easy swing turns, smooth trim & noseriding galore. Here's a few pix of an 8'6"x23"x3-1/4" in Sea Foam Green with a polished Showroom Finish. This is the Single Fin Version.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Here's a fun one. Bottom pic: Fashion shoot, Paradise Cove ~ 1967
DEADSHAPER's picture
Cutbacks are one of the most challenging moves in surfing. Every good surfer has to master direction changes. Here is a comparison between Shawn Tract (colored pic) on a 5'5" BF Convertible vs Charlie Smith on a considerably longer v machine. Bottom line: both are great surfers that get it done!
DEADSHAPER's picture
This is an insightful film into what surfing meant to a tribal people with vastly different beliefs than some more modern cultures. The film also shows their passion for surfing and the impact it has had on their culture over the past few decades. It is a different kind of surf film. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdddwpZZzd4&t=578s
DEADSHAPER's picture
Every so often I get guys asking me if I make single fins, to which I reply "sure I do, and not just longboards, but full high performance single fins for high performance surfing". When it comes to surfboard design, the vast percentage of surfboards that work well as a tri fin will also work well as a single fin granted that you have the right kind of fin positioned in the right spot on the board. After all, as I've said before, "tri fins are just single fins with leverage". Here's a pic from the 1970's that I still consider as high a performance of surfing as anything I have seen today.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Happy Birthday Mr. B! Mike picked up his 6'10"x22"x2-11/16th's custom today. Thinner foil with straight center line rocker & deeper vee for increased rail rocker maintains fast straight line trim speed while reducing effort thru turns. A bit easier to duck dive and better hold higher up on the wave face.
mattwho's picture
Hey Bruce, Forgive me, for bombin’ in. But this seems to be a good forum… I’ll start with some history… I believe you stated something like they (fire wire etc.) “are stuck with” a large volume of out of date boards. And are dumping them at low cost. Being an “old timer” the revolution, opps, sorry “the transition” comes to mind. The “big guys” stuck with large inventories of longboards. That was the first kiss of death. The last kiss was things changed so fast Only the small guys could change quickly enough. There in is my thought Could it be? And you will have to read between the lines, here. Rapid change in design could destroy the China syndrome? #1. Let us consider the WSL, its influence on the public. I mean, you know, I’ve seen it way too many times. Here comes the dude with a “pro” board (label, label). OMG, he can barely surf. That is where that flood of shit is going to go to. The general market thrives on kooks who want to be cool. It is not the same as back in the day… What ever happened to SOUL? BTW would love to discuss V’s and twins!

I would rather be someone's shot of whiskey, than everyone's cup of tea.

www.mattysurfboards.com

DEADSHAPER's picture
Matty; What happened in '67 & early 1968 was different than now. As I understand it, the 60's big labels had been building ahead readying for the summer and a lot of shipping to the East Coast. Even today, much of the market in the East is short lived, esp. the northeast where the temperature drops and snow hits the ground. Only the hardcore surfers are out there at that point. But from late May to a bit past Labor Day, people are hitting the Jersey shore and everywhere else up and down the eastern seaboard. What happened in 67-68 is different in that it was a real revolution that, as I have posted in my social media and here on Sways, history got a bit distorted, at least from what I have researched and outright been told by old timers that were respected in the Australian surf industry. That history was the thrust for my spinning off and focusing on the old school vee bottoms that I credit the late Midget Farrelly for developing at least five months in advance of Bob McTavish. I know many people, including knowledgeable shaper friends that are still under the impression that it was McTavish & Nat Young that deserve the credit for the v bottom design. That in itself is an unkind cut to Midget, and Dick Graham has photographic proof of Midget's v bottom at the Australia v Windansea contest months before McV showed up on the beach with one. Now back to the longboard & shortboard revolution thing: Dick Graham says that surf magazines in the United States suppressed the news of Midget's design: which at the contest mentioned, was 8 ft. long with the deep vee bottom. No one else had anything remotely that short or sporting his design. Nat didn't compete but was riding Sam, his round bottom, I think it was 9'4". Graham believes articles on what was happening in OZ from long to short was delayed in respect to the stateside labels to have time for them to move their inventory of longboards. As the shift to shorter started, G&S America produced thousands of Midget's design and sent the bulk of them to Florida and other parts of the East Coast, where the boards worked really well in 1-3 ft. gutless slop. Anything much over head high presented more of a problem, but that's not the East Coast norm anyway. Midget's board was stringerless, for flex, about 22' wide, 8 ft. long and his own board had a fin he designed more like what people regard or call a "cutaway" which he created "to promote drift". If McTavish is to be given more accurate credit, it would be in line with him 'popularizing the vee bottom' whereas Midget stated that he only made one. He didn't go into full fledged production of them like G&S. OTOH, McTavish recognized, and seized the opportunity to promote and run with the whole vee bottom concept. I can see why people would consider McTavish as the originator of the design. The Yin to his Yang, was Dick Brewer developing the Baby Gun Pintails in Hawaii, which had maneuverability AND HOLDING POWER whereas the Vee Bottoms proved to be 'spinout queens'. I make it no secret that I'm a stickler on history, especially when it comes to surfboard designs. After all, I've been shaping & designing surfboards for half a century, including innovative sailboards. This is exactly how the controversy between myself and Randy Rostoker has come about regarding the Stoker V Machine. His historical take on the Stoker V Machine website claims that he designed the board decades ago. He spins a story about way back when he was 11 years old, then, in another spot changes it to 8 years old...anyway, he, with mutual friend, Jeff Kruthers, collaborated on shaping one of the first shortboards, a 7'4". Well, actually Jeff shaped the board, Rnady's input was probably to hang out and watch (you do a lot of that when you are 8, or 11, or whatever it actually was). Kruthers is a great surfer that I believe may have worked for Bing while living in Palos Verdes then moving north to Santa Barbara. In Rostoker's account, he has Jeff taking him to see "Innermost Limits of Pure Fun" and the impact of Greenough's movie prompts Jeff to shape one of the first ever short boards at 7'4". Rostoker describes Greenough as a 'famous legendary surfboard shaper'. I have to laugh at the description, because I have known George for many years, and I think even George would get a kick out of the description of him being "a legendary famous surfboard shaper". More correctly, I would say GG is a "designer, who uses shaping as a means to an end". George has designed boards, boats, fins, camera gear and wind generators among other things. As far as Kruthers, it's interesting to note that he is given kudos (along with another longtime friend of mine, realtor Steve Talley) whereas 7 years of my effort (and success) in putting SVM's on the map are non existent. During those years I not only did everything from A to Z to make Rostoker's dream happen, I also bankrolled it. To be blunt, I didn't see anybody else doing shit around me as I was choking on dust building the boards start to finish, answering inquiries, collecting deposits, packing & shipping to a growing number of customers. I worked my ass off every day of the week until I could build enough volume to shift the glassing to long time friend Bob Haakenson and his crew, which included one of my guys I taught how to glass while I owned The Surfing Underground. Part of the truth that got left out in his convenient "Truth" article is that Jeff Kruthers got a 7'4" V Machine from me that he rides along with a longboard I made him a couple decades ago that he told me was the "best surfboard he has ever had along with one Dick Brewer". The reason I bring the Stoker thing up is to illustrate what happens when someone starts rewriting history and jumps on their own band wagon claiming they are the FIRST TO CREATE A SURFBOARD DESIGN. Therein lies the rub. The G&S "Gypsy" was the precursor to the "Stoker V Machine" and that's just the way it is. As far as VEE BOTTOMS, the ancient 'HOT CURL" design had a deep vee on its fantail because Tom Blake had yet to develop the skeg aka fin. End of story on that one too. So in that respect, the nod really should go to Tom Blake, not McT, and not even Midget. I personally didn't profess to be the first to create the V Machine or even what I call my "V8" V Bottom. It's interesting to note that the design I call "V8" curiously has a surfboard on the SVM website with the same name. That board isn't remotely close to the design I make for my customers. So be it.... what's in a name (or a logo for that matter) all that really matters is the ride. The other aspect that should be touched upon is design plagiarism: the idea of taking someone else's design and passing it off as their own. I never did that with the Stoker V Machine, but since I'm no longer the cash cow for Randal, I guess the old picture of me holding a surfboard for Steve Bissell on his wall probably has darts in it by now. It's funny how all the boards I made were Stoker V's while I was padding his pockets, but now they are considered. fakes. One of my customers posted in Facebook that "a guy who lives in his van informed me I had a "fake stoker V Machine.... I laughed in his face...." So if that's the game, I'll take a fake any time. McTavish might be guilty of a false claim, at least according to Dick Graham, who recounts a story of overhearing McT and Nat spinning a tail of how he came about coming up with the design to Eric Blum & his Hollywood crew making "The Fantastic Plastic Machine". Basically McTavish and Nat were dictating the storyline to Blum who replied "well, it sounds like we've got our storyline now". Graham was sitting nearby with a respected young American surfer, Petey Johnson, who said to Graham, "I think I'm gonna get sick, I gotta get out of here" then got up and walked away versus continuing to hear the bullshit. Popularizing something isn't creating a design. Claiming you originated it is even more misleading. Very few things in this world are originals anyway..... we mostly live a life of reruns in my opinion. There were MANY surfboards that had what we could have considered designed BEFORE the Stoker V Machine. A wide, low rocker with flat bottom and some vee in the tail was more the norm than the exception in the late 60's & early 70's. Vee in the tail was the closest thing to tail rocker surfboards had previous to the introduction of what would become known as "natural rocker" which is something that Joe Mickey and I (@ 17 yrs old) offered when we opened our first surfshop (Bahne/William Dennis) in old town Goleta in 1970. Rostoker & his friends from Deveraux School (a school for developmental kids) would be driven over to our shop to hang out and gawk at the beautiful new boards. The Bahne Hynson Downrailer design had natural continuous, rocker, which was the result of a collaboration between Hynson, Brewer, Diffenderfer, and perhaps Herbie Fletcher. However, getting back to the point the G&S "Gypsy" was easily the precursor to the "Stoker V Machine". Stoker even had a "Gypsy" ad from an old "Surfer Magazine" pinned up on his wall among lots of other cool photos and memorabilia when I visited him & dropped off new sticks for him. Still, in his historical account, which ends with thanking Kruthers, and Talley, & all his buddies, it's clear that I never existed in his Peter Pan reality. It's a pretty sad statement being that I've been like a big brother to him since he was ten including my parents taking him in later on to live with us when he fell upon hard times. The funny thing about truth is that it has a way of bubbling up when someone is adamant about redefining it. Much of the history that Rostoker claims, to the best of my knowledge, may have happened. The problem is it doesn't actually prove or qualify someone as a bonafide designer of an original, nor does it make someone an owner of a surfboard company. In the real world that requires a lot of things that a lot of surfers hate to identify with, like business licenses, permits, credit ratings, leases, insurance, startup & working capital, reported income and taxes. All the romance in the world doesn't satisfy what the IRS or a landlord expects from you. I got pissed & bailed because a contract was violated. A trust was broken, there was a lack of appreciation, greedy expectations and a lack of integrity. Maybe all the Peter Pans out there don't like hearing this, but I live in a real world with people I had to answer to while helping Rostoker realize his dream. Randy told me his proudest moment was walking into Haakenson's factory to see every rack in the room with 'his' boards on them. He told me that he always told people 90% of what was happening was due to me and 10% him. Unfortunately, by that time, I almost said to him "yeah, what's the 10% you do"? A lesson to learn from this, when you do that much to contribute to a person's success, you may end up getting 'rewarded' with suspicion versus praise & gratitude. I gave him respectability, stuffed his pockets with cash, and made it easier to sell a Stoker V Machine more than ever before. I shaped more of them than any previous person while wearing the hats of half a dozen other people to make it all work. If he had to pay me minimum wage for each job position I filled for 7 years, including the marketing and lowest grunt work, he would owe me hundreds of thousands of dollars. Now I'm the bad guy to whoever wants to swallow everything he serves up. DON'T EVER GO INTO BUSINESS WITH FRIENDS... if you want to stay friends. Nothing I can do about it. To each his own. My customers still get treated like gold and my business continues to flourish. I have a lot of quiver builders and repeat clientele. Knock on wood. Interesting to note Stoker's website thanks TOM CUREEN for "faithfully riding my boards". I guess you can say whatever the hell you want online right? Then Jim Morrison was my father, and I wrote ALL his songs. He may as well added John John, Machado and Fanning for that matter. Getting back to the Firewires, Lost, C.I./Burton Corporation, Surftech, Boardworks, Wavestorm's, whatever else (that) is out there....... in the real world there is NO INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY for creating a surfboard. No combination of curves or number of fins or channels on a surfboard. Anybody can make any outline, bottom rocker, rail contours, thickness, cutouts, flex, size......... well, you get the picture. You can't patent compound curves. Proprietary rights are awarded to things that are patentable like the locking system that would go on a Morey Pope Bi Sect or Tri Sect, or the Universal that went on Hoyle & Schweitzer's "Windsurfer" allowing the mast & sail to swivel while staying connected to the board. Rostoker's misconception is that a label he owns makes him a designer. He cites that he had different shapers shape "his" design with his logo for "his business". What business is that - because you have a logo? How naive is that? So apparently the LOGO puts him in the driver's seat and gives him omnipotent power while devaluating shapers in general. Apparently we are at his beck and call. C'mon now, how many of us have longtime customers that ordered something specific that they like in each and every surfboard they get from you? That's called "custom" - they don't show up with their own logo and inform you the surfboard is now THEIR DESIGN and that you are just hired help to make it. If everyone you shape for is gonna do that, well, maybe it's just time to bag it and let them learn how to shape it themselves. Stoker isn't a shaper, he's a talker. The few times he was ever in my shaping room I purposely asked him some pretty basic things regarding design and he clearly demonstrated a limited knowledge of what I was asking him. Some answers were the opposite of correct. Randy Rostoker isn't any more a surfboard designer than I'm a brain surgeon. The fact is most guys will get by with knowing some basic dims, the outline & rails they want, and some rudimentary rocker & bottom specifics to order their board. For a bonafide surfboard designer, that's basic and where it just begins. ANYBODY can make up a label and have different shapers shape what they want to ride. There are other people doing that, hell, we did that when we were kids and stripped our longboards and made different models during the transition to shortboards. What are you gonna name yours?" It was FUN......... a good portion of us got our starts in the industry that way. A lot of the new technology in today's surfboards came as a direct spinoff of sailboard construction as the boards evolved. Just pull up the Cobra website from Thailand to see their journey and what they offer today to multiple markets. Very state of the art operation. At the end of the day, you are always gonna find someone that can make it cheaper, faster, longer, lighter, prettier than you. In my limited production and budget, I do the very best I can to please my customers with a quality product at a fair price with great delivery while treating them like gold because, after all, they are the ones providing me with a paycheck. Not the Stokers of the world. Will the big companies topple as you suggest? I doubt it, for the simple fact that an offshore company can pay out what is considered a very good wage while getting huge discounts for buying materials for production and perhaps even enjoy government subsidies for providing employment and/or commerce helping the respective country. If you look at the type of materials being used in many of the new approaches to building surfboards, you will find plenty of reverse engineering, IDRO/EDRO produced (or not) EPS reinforced with plentiful veneers, PVC and other materials vacuum bagged or adhered in other cost effective methods that represent a strong, light, attractive and durable product that minimizes intensive hand labor. The end result is a low cost product that minimizes cost while maximizing bottom line profit. This approach allows large companies to promote their product with advertising campaigns and pro surfer sponsorships attesting to the superiority of their product and brand. That's just the way it is.......... to quote the lyrics of a popular song. Top foto: A Mitsven knock off of a G&S Gypsy. Nice board, no big deal, he's not being told it's a Gypsy "fake", lol. Bottom Foto: BF (holding books) with the Talley boys one afternoon after high school let out. Now I've said the truth as I see it and you can compare the two "truth stories".. lol. My history is all documented with photos, posts thru the past 7 years, a ton of hard work, customers that still own the boards....... I don't see ANY of that in the other story. Now I'd like to move on and enjoy making surfboards regardless of who claims what. Tongues will wag but who gives a crap.
mattwho's picture
Good God man! I can dig your perspective! You haven’t told me anything I didn’t already know… You really have to read between the lines with me, I am a techno and speak as if though the other party is on the same level… Seems 2 me, as if we are both pissy historians. Hey, you know me, I really love SB, and the surf. However, I am a Valley Cowboy. I was lucky as I ran across the “Aussies” @ L C and sold 2 longboards the following week. With a little soft-shoe and cash got me an early Hubina/Ryder stick (photo). Ha, my old man said it’ll snap! So, shit I am avoiding the hassle here. #1. Jeff should be remembered for the caveman fire! I know the “Stoker story” well… #2. The who’s concept was the Vee Bernard that is what I believe. #3. I do believe that Neal Purchase was right in the mix. As the Aussie’s war, between Midget, Keyo and McTavish. The history seems to get a little manipulated depending on who is tellin’ the tail. Yeah? I am a simple guy, who just loves surfboards including those that are monumental in moving design forward. Sam, Midgets, Stringer less. Here is a recollection of mine… On the Wind an Sea trip down under, Skip was a judge and radioed in to base (G&S) the radical changes. And met up with the “New” boards on the way back in Tahiti with Munoz and Bigler. https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/skip-frye-0?page=1 The revolution was such fun, kind of a high. Something new every week or so. I’ll leave out the “Mini gun”, as I tried but quickly returned to the Vee. Shit, those days it was “run what you brung”. How ‘bout a 6’-6” Vee in 10 -12 ft. Overhead Drifting, sorry… The last PDF are my take of Purchase’s “Virgin” A board that is on my list of reproductions. Aloha Nui. “Fear Life”, no finer words spoken ever!

www.mattysurfboards.com

DEADSHAPER's picture
Classic....... love it........... wanna make the surf turn to crap? Hold a contest!!! Works every time. Rubbing elbows with great people doesn't make you great. You make yourself great. ...I said that.
mattwho's picture
So very true...

www.mattysurfboards.com

DEADSHAPER's picture
Isaac sold his old 6'3" and figured it was time for a new one..... he gave me the specs on the one he sold and I went to town. He added some color and some carbon. The board whipped thru in around ten days but right near finishing he had seen the pix I posted of an 8'0" O'riginal for longtime customer global heli ski guide Tod D. and ordered up a 6'6" version. Here's a shot of Tod's 8'0" which is EPS/Epoxy and will be double 4 oz S Glass bottom and 6/4 deck with 4 oz stomp patch also S Glass.......... then Isaac's blue/orange/carbon baby. I'll post his 6'6" as it comes thru the pipeline............... foto added 10/31/Halloween.... pick up day with Isaac, Hawk and friend. 6'3" & 6'6" BF O'riginal.......
DEADSHAPER's picture
Michael DiNichola newest 6'8"... said he loves it so much he hasn't taken the wax off the deck to finish painting it! ;-)
DEADSHAPER's picture
Here's a new one for Naoyuki in Japan. He was delighted I could crank it out for him in two weeks. He said most local shapers don't get around to shaping your board for a month. The board is 6'3"x21.5"x2.75". Has a relaxed rocker with flat entry transitioning to a slight double concave feeding into the fins. A pronounced vee at the tail provides rail release while acting as a small fin when ridden as a twin fin. The option to this model is a double wing five fin set up called the "Convertible" (last few pix).
DEADSHAPER's picture
Well, what can I say, there's volume, and then there's....................... V-O-L-U-M-E! :-O
DEADSHAPER's picture
Aussie Head Dip on a wide back V Bottom.......Lip Launch aka Over the falls......Epic Angourie day.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Here's Brian Z's new "Rincon Sled"...... old faithful snapped after many seasons. The bottom contours in this board are the same as what I started in the first "Fountain of Youth Model" nearly 30 yrs. ago. The board has a rolled vee in the nose to cut chop & promote dropping in followed by a slight single concave midships deepest in the front foot area, this feeds into an inset double concave with a rear panel vee that is deepest near the side fins and lessens out the tailblock. The net result is a board that feels like a hot knife cutting thru a stick of butter. PUPE & EPS/Epoxy versions are both very popular.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Facebook Testimonial #3757 Mike B: "This board is amazing and I'm just getting used to it.....there's like a turbo button when I come off the bottom like no other board I've ever had.....and I've been surfing for 44 years!" LikeShow more reactions · Reply · Message · 1 · October 29 at 9:42pm · Edited Manage Fountain of Youth Surfboards Fountain of Youth Surfboards: Reply - Welcome to the club
DEADSHAPER's picture
Another testimonial update from Naoyuki in Japan. Naoyuki Last Sunday morning, I made the second session with your shaped board. Wave condition was better than the first session. I luckily got some good set, My surf buddies were watching my ridding, and surprised to see its super high speed and deep curving! Thank you for the best short board in my life! Image may contain: outdoor, water and nature
DEADSHAPER's picture
This is the first board for Al N. from New Jersey. He contacted me and we talked about surfboards. He said "I want something different.... make it weird, out of the norm". I told him in my 50+ yrs. of shaping I have learned that when you have someone bring a design to you wanting you to shape it...... and if you do their bidding and it DOESN'T WORK, it ends up being YOUR FAULT and HAS YOUR NAME ON IT. We also talked about the increased desire from more surfers wanting to explore different designs, its validity, and I told him "look, I can do you something from "Tomo Land" and the other guys that are looking to fit into that group of "progressive, if not futuristic," surfboard designers. But I added that I've been there and done that thru 50+ years of shaping and if I make "something weird, that it HAS TO WORK, AND IT HAS TO WORK GOOD". So he changed his mind a couple times on the flavor he wanted, but I told him I had parked his comments in the 2nd or 3rd row of my brain and let it percolate there for a week or two and now it was on deck and today was "his" day. He waited. I shaped. I took fotos and sent them over. He's stoked, I'm glad, and I know (after 50 years) that this surfboard will work. The numbers are right, the rocker makes sense, the theory is sound. Somebody on Facebook saw the posts and said "I sure want to see Vimeo and pix of this thing in action" while another quiver building customer said "this board will go great in most days in Cali". Well, let's see how it goes on the Jersey Shore and Jersey Juice......... it won;t be long. The board is 5'3"x23"x2-3/4". The "Scoop" is flat and gradual to collect & accelerate the flow of water at entry point into a slight single concave that transitions to a moderate flat panel vee out the tail. The nose rail lifts from a semi belly outside of the nose scoop. The panel vee lifts the rail rocker a bit from an otherwise pretty straight flat center rocker line. Volume for his 175 lbs. is around 42-43 liters. The fin set up is versatile: using a fish type set up for keel fins out at the rails and a Bill Thrailkill inspired dual single fin boxes that I am calling a "Twingle". Props to B.T. for his contribution/influence to this offering to my customer. Other influence was the "Stealth B2 Bomber" for its angular, speed oriented design genius. Enjoy.
Huck's picture
Bruce, that is awesome! Always pushing the boundaries and defying expectations, good job!
DEADSHAPER's picture
Some of the fins that will be ridden with the BF Stealth Scoop board. Part fish, but a whole lot more..... it's an outside of the box vehicle. Get on it, learn how to ride it versus doing the same old same old. Open your mind, your ass will follow.
artz's picture
That could make a great knee board.

According to Mikki Dora Malibu went to the Dogs in 1964. The Chumash Indians will tell you it was 1664.

DEADSHAPER's picture
Yes it could albeit a shorter length would find it appealing to the advanced knee boarders still out there. I made quite a few knbds. back in the 70's..... seems like they have become a dying breed. In the meantime, I'm introducing a couple new logos for respective shapes I do....... there seems to be some popularity in the older style logos, so it was in that spirit I worked out design from images of Charlie Smith doing a layback on a 7'6" BF & Shaun Tracht on his 7'2" "V8" V Bottom. A nod , and two thumbs up go out to Wayne Lynch as the inspiration for the logo designs surrounding our images. At some point I will have some t shirts printed, but probably not until after Christmas.
artz's picture
Here in the USA they are a a diving breed. In Australia they are alive and doing OK. Whit my back going out a few times I have been thinking more and more about kneeboarding . Bought a used Stu Kenson 5’10” X22” Keel Fish, Just to try it out. Took it out and had Blast!

According to Mikki Dora Malibu went to the Dogs in 1964. The Chumash Indians will tell you it was 1664.

artz's picture
Logos look good.

newschoolblue's picture
Awwwww yeahhhh!!! Loving the look of that little rocket! I definitely want to see some finished pics.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Will do......... board should be done this week.
DEADSHAPER's picture
Grabbed the BF Stealth Twingle today...... just had enough time to take a couple quickie pics. More manana then packing her up and sending to NJ......
DEADSHAPER's picture
More looks at the BF Stealth Twingle. This thing could really go off with a pair of Greenough Stage VI's, maybe even with some little sidebiters..... oh man, the possibilities. Talk about speed! Eeeeeeeeee... :-P.........

Pages