Jim's "ScREwDRIVER" build and...

Folk’s - I got goin on some ideas! Ok, this other board I decided will be a 5’4" x 22 1/2" wide Sims board thing. Upfront, I tried 23" wide, but with my lb template my Mid center lines look too abrupt of a curve…but I can clearly see if I roughly deduct 1/4" per side my lines will connect smoother. The rest I can eye ball it w zero cuts w planer, or I can surform/sand it smooth to line her up… my nose appears to go 1/4" wider per side 12" down the tips…so we got 1/2" wide r nose than tail.

Ok, my nose width 18.5" and tail width 18" tail block 14" . I decided to cut 5" off rear of blank - which set my nose flip perfect w my nat rocker in the blank. On this board I
Am prob just roll the from third slightly (nose end) the concept is to create give on thicker lip waves…not sure if it’s a good idea? But this my idea.

Then I think I will go ahead with the single
to double concave w no vee out the tail. Ill just let the doubles flow out rear…don’t ask me what it will do as I don’t know. My geuss is, it’ll mimic vee and intensify mg rail rocker… We’ll see.

Prob gonna do a step deck, and do a partial s deck to roughly the 2’ mark on my tail half… but I’ll leave it flat where I will set back foot… this means I will have to cut around more the perimeter and up to 24" point…this will thin my tail.

Rocker

I will do nothing. Just thin my blank. But I am going to kick tail up about ahead of fins. The reason being, we want it to turn and NOT TRACK! We’ll send you some pics -hopefully soon! I might even do a YouTube vid!?

Well Folk’s, I don’t think I pulled in my tail much. We got it @ 14" wide on tail block- which looks about right. Anyway, we will get to planing
and shaping here shortly but I have to setup shop out in backyard. Gonna buy a tent to shape and glass in.

Sounds like fun. You must do a video and have a " screwdriver " for two. I plan on making a couple of sims soon too with home made glass ons.

Can’t wait for more pics

Peace TT

I am prob gonna buy a twelve pack! We wiped a sixer out in less than a day! Yeah, I’ll try to do a planing video of myself. I don’t work fast, so it might be segmented. Plus im not a pro so we get techniques that I think is how it’s done… I pretty much watch & learn, experiment and do it any way I can. Most of what I know is whatever I soaked in. And a good deal of it comes from learning on my own these days.

Tom- just go short and wide and try to make smooth connecting lines and a kinda parallel outline. Tail pulls a bit. I dont think it should be straight Like a older fish. There’s a little curve. Tail can be flatter, or w kick, rocker or whatever.

Tom - you can use a fish blank also, but to flatten tail we have to push templates up at tail end roughly 5". There’s a bit of a flatter tail if we do that. Or set it up depending on what rocker you want. One tool I recommend you get is a small surform to shape in your kick, also use a block and a trim plane. You will use it to flip the nose end a little. What I will do is fade a few cuts off tail w planer and nose to my liking. Then tune it w surform, block, trim plane and my
Spoke shave to do my step deck.note: use a pencil to help map out what foam you will remove etc… make references so your board is as symtrical as possible. Hope this helps.do this from start -to near done. Then when you sand and screen, and use the block plane to take down any spine you’ll be cleaning up. Don’t forget a dust mask and glasses! And a screwdriver!:stuck_out_tongue: NOTE,: I don’t drink if running planer!

Note 2: pics here are NOT of my mini simmons build. This is my " MSD Model ", or mid - simmons deaign.

It’s purpose: sm to med sized wave functionality. 2 - 4 fins.

I like how you used the side-cut snowboard style rails in your outline!  Very progressive and innovative.  I saw that Ryan Burch recently built 4 fish with a similar outilne.  Hayden Shapes makes “The Merlot”, the LOST “Pellagic”, and of course, Meyerhoffer,  all use this design feature. I’ve thrown it on a few, but I never had the courage to do it the whole length of the rail.  I always start at the wide point and do it back from there.  I’m really interested in a ride report on this one!!! Keep us posted

How’s  the build coming along.sways was down for a few days and it was sad with out it. I made some nice fins out this wood I found at my secret campground.all I need is a blank and cloth. 

Found a neat video on how to line up the fins for a mini http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LMYa9GmGAes

Ps what kind of car under the cover?

lates

Ty Folk’s I narrowed the tail dims to 15" because my center wp was too
straight so I narrowed the tail dims down at 15" .then I ended up w 9" wide tail block?

Tom - I just got my planer set up w blades etc… so I plan to mow foam by Tuesday or Wednesday! I’ll try to post pics of my planing of blank.

Build pics are always nice. Here’s a pic of my last one #11. All backyard built by me.Mini sims inspired/mini longboard/ stubby. 6’7" x 22" x 3".  Rasta themed tints -red,yellow,green but came out creamsicle/sherbet .my new favorite

Tom- that looks like a very fun board! What are the dims on it if you don’t mind sharing?

My mid-slimmons deviated into a groveler thing! It looks more like a fish/shortboard mix…oh well!? If it works well & looks good - that’s what matters.

Gonna do a pretty deep single to double concave - since I never done a single yet…I’m gonna start my single about 12" ahead of wp, and then progressively deepen til fins, this is where my dubs will flow out the tail.

Prob gonna do a s deck on top, and put a down rail w 1/4" tuck from wp, and let it diminish near fins, and same out nose…plus I’m going to plant in a little xtra kick in the tail? Or cut it in from about front fin edge-back. And then plane the whole bottom 1/16" . This will smooth out the bumps.

Also, I’ll have to cut in more nose rocker - even though I don’t want to- I have to. I only have about 2 1/2" of nose rocker in blank. Just gonna try the otf cuts to roughly 18" . We’re gonna put a nice smooth curve there. Kinda a moderate curve. gonna make a rocker template for first time! Gonna make it out of plywood.

Here’s a pic of the tail. Note the thick /flat tail! This will have plenty of rm to kick my tail up. But I have a TON of thinning to do on deck side! I’ll do a few practice cuts on deck to get accustomed to my skil 100. Lotta practice time nonetheless!?

Winter storm put off build as I am working outside. But I caught a brief lull and dialed in my outline!

What I did: I sawed my blank by cutting almost a octagonal cut around the wider nose… or following the curves by sawing a bit outside the line… then I sawed around my outline 1/4" . I used to be able to cut 1/8", but due to nerves being shakey I now do it as told. But it gives me ample rm to plane on low cut, surform, sand or do however I want. I couldnt use power tool’s this week -so I just Surformed and block sanded. It came out sweet! Up front, planing on a zero cut, or low shallow cut - then block sanding comes out cleaner. But if you’re careful you can do it by hand. Here is my pic!:slight_smile:

Tommorow I will plane shallow straight across tail block to dial in my shape. I will also hit any high spots w block, also sand the corners until done.

Next I will saw out my rocker templates - then I’ll cut rocker in!

Nice looking fins, T-Tom!  Mike

Well, I fired up my --7.5 amp SKIL 100 this morning, and man am I impressed! Plenty of power, but smooth as a cats pur! I also noticed I’m developing my own techniques! I started planing my flats ( bottom first) at tail end. Anyway, I plugged her in, set shoe and bed level and on blank slightly outside the edge - fired it up and started my cuts! Right away I noticed I was cutting at a slight angle…prob about 20° (roughly)… here’s my feedback: planer cut w enough speed ( not too fast knor too slow), also, it cut VERY clean! Anyway, I forgot dust mask - so I dropped that down off my beanie and placed my planer on the step I created from the pass…repeated to stringer, I cut this time straight down stringer slow and steady allowing planer to cut w out forcing it…

Repeat on op side. Did some reversals, and im not lifting planer up too high when I change directions… in deck nose flip area I slide the bed nore at a 45+ and kinda float it off the tip whilst cutting. It works. More…

Did my very first otf rocker cuts! I just planed from rear of the tail to fade my cuts w lever… it’s pretty cool! Upfront, I’m just cutting low & slow settings until I get better acquainted with my -Skil 100. I’ll say this: if you want cleaner cuts - go with the skil and don’t look back.-Jim

Well, here’s my take on rocker Templates! I’m pretty happy with them.ok, Maybe they aren’t very impressive, but it’s simplicity is what’s so deceptive about it. Look at the good points: it’s portable, cheap, it is EXACTLY the curves i want! It’ll work and it only costed a few bucks. But ltr on I can use better material. NOTE: I opted NOT to cut across the tail block. My reasons were: I could blow out the stringer, also skip and plow out a edge…

What the hell are you drinking?

What I am naming my design" the SCREWDRIVER!" Drink is a Smirnoff malt beverage called screw driver.
First pic is tail rocker, second is nose rocker.note: I’ll take almost 1/4" more off nose, and tail needs more also. Still gotta plane deck more. Prob stay clear of nose as I don’t want to get wafer thin…

Third pic is a gal I was dating for two yrs!:slight_smile: one day I hope to see her again:/? :stuck_out_tongue:

Today I cut in nose rocker w straight fade cuts, or set to a desired setting plane at nose or tail end fade the cuts as you push zeroing w otf lever, and slightly lift off planer at the end stroke… on the sides into towards stringer, I did slight angle cuts -similar to my straight cuts w otf zeroing to cover a wider area… just improvised a little. Had to reset lever back to depth of my cut again, but cuts came out sweet.

Anyway, I got about 1/4" more off the nose rocker ( look at pencil mark). I’m fading my cuts 18" up board for nose rocker. Nice smooth curve so as not to push water…

Here’s a pic of my accelerated tail rocker. I got a bit more need taking off. But check out the nice curve!:slight_smile:

You shouldn’t put pics of people on here, does she know you’ve put her pic on here?. Seems a bit creepy to me

That rocker looks funky, there’s an obvious break in the rocker.

I agree with Beerfan on both points.

The rockers not done can you re-read what I wrote?so It’s creepy to appreciate a hottie? I just like her new pic is all.

I also haven’t got to deck foil yet … let me geuss, you guy’s just mow a layer off and are done w it???

About my build, it’s a lot more than what you two have shown!

Getting back on Topic, my rocker is still in progress. I just was about to get to blending… all I do is blend the hump out…I use surform or planer to do the job. And I’ll block sand last…

Sorry about not sharing my secret rocker setup. Trade secrets.; l

Your secret will be safe, don’t worry. I’ll check back in a few days when the tail width, length, rocker, and overall design have all changed again.