Morey Pope "Power Dude" Surfboard

Anyone ever seen the Morey Pope “Power Dude” Surfboard. I beleive it’s from the 70s. Picked it up a couple of days ago for $250.00.

They came out in 1969. The ads they ran for them were pretty amusing. This was a two page spread they ran in Spring of '69

geil.

Nice Find.  

Some of the best boards that I have had were MP’s

I remember when they came out with these. I had a friend working at MP. I was at G&S. He told me about the campaign and it sounded really cool. And then I saw the ads. The reaction was pretty mixed. Karl (Pope) told me that McTavish had regretted appearing in the ad after some of his friends made comments. Maybe he’ll chime in here and tell us.

I remember going into George’s Surf Center in Huntington Beach. George Draper had a shop there where the major board makers rented space and put their boards in on consignment. Larry Gordon was with me and he asked Draper how the MPs were doing. Draper says, “I’ve got a health food bar in the back and all my customers are dodging the draft and he sends me boards with a pictures of a greasy hamburger and a soldier.”

Bill, In the context of the times 1969 is the year I was drafted, I can see that the Graphics would be a buzz kill. But The shapes seem like they would have been a lot of fun.  The gun shape screams over head point waves.  

Surfknot, Could you post some photos of the bottom as well as a rocker profile?

Here you go “artz”…

I got a 6’9" Sopwith Camel in 1969 and it changed my surfing completely. Prior to that, I had an 8’4" Hobie, Corky Carroll “Mini Model”

The Sopwith triggered something and I still can’t say what it was, specifically. All I know is that my surfing improved by a great leap forward.  Something about that board was magic. I rode that board to death within a few short years.

thing is clean!!

Thanks Yeah Thats a 1969 Board.  I like the outline and the nose pulled in and thined out is nice for that era. Now as to the rocker Boy am I glad we have moved beyond that The Board is a great exsample of the changing concepts in Boards in the late 1960s early 1970s