futures router jig set with harbour freight router

wondering if anyone can tell me if the harbour freight trim router will fit the futures jig kit as i allready have a few hf routers siting around that i could use if posable, if not does any one have the dia. of the makita to compare to the hf?

many thanks

http://www.foamez.com/future-onepass-installation-kit-bwithoutb-router-p-811.htmlJust

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/routers/14-in-24-amp-trim-router-61626.html

If the base is plastic, which it looks like, it will work.

Take the shim for routing the 1.2" box and use it as your template for the router base.

Pretty easy.

It is just a circle with a flat section.

I cut the base so the cord faces out toward the rail and out of the way.

No for 2 reasons

1. The Diameter is about 1/4 thinner on the Harbor Freight than the makita so it is loose in the slide of the one pass plastic router holder. you could make a shim.

2. The Makita has a shank/shaft that holds the collett that extends about 3/4 of an inch lower  than the HF. Even with the 1 pass bit set as low as you possibly could with the bit not flying off and possibly shooting across the room or through you, the HF router wont cut the holes deep enough. Also the 1pass bit is suppossed to be resting flush against the collett on the router not suspended way out. If so the upper bit slides up and down so you will have a free spinning bit that wont cut.

I ditched my Ryobi years ago and modified a Rigid.

Much better.

Variable speed,

Slow start,

and a lighted work area.

Mo betta.

Barry, they are talking about the 1 pass kit where the router slides down the tube, not the old style with the donuts and spacers that used the Ryobis originally. The rigids are way better for that setup. But for the Ridgid- 1pass  its the same issues as above. depth and the size of the tool vs the jig.

Ah, got it.

cheers many thanks looks like i will be geting anouther roter too

many thanks

Just came home with new router. 1-1/2 hp plunge router. Not much info in the box. Sure need some directon. Thanks Thomascl3

I just got the Futures 1-pass install kit and am using it with one of the ‘clones’ of the Makita RT0701 from Menards, the Performax 241-0973.
The OD of the machined part of clone, that goes into the slide, is 2.550" or 64.77 mm.
The rig was cutting a bit over a 1/16" too deep so I added 2 spacers cut from plastic lids and it’s cutting just a hair or two deeper than flush.
Practice tail in the picture is inspired by a Pyzel Nugget I saw online, made from scrap EPS, plywood, Gorilla glue.

Thomascl3, this one? http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-hp-variable-speed-plunge-router-67119.html
What are you trying to do with it?

All that screwing around to save a nickle. MAkita is a 99.00 , I bought 2 one for each bit they paid for themselves in a month . Still going strong thousands of routes later.

The Ridged has a lifetime warranty and a smidge more HP. I cut mine and wrapped the base perimeter with two layers of high performance jet propelled tape and works perfect in the old Futures donut. Would love the single pass, but I don’t do enough Futures to make it worthwhile. The FCS guys work with small timers like me and give much much better pricing.

all the best

Ryobi has changed bought a couple late last year, its a bit thinner now and works fine in the one pass.

All of the above is correct. I made a comment some months back and was schooled by Agua. Jrandy came up with a router adaptation that works; if you can get the router he used. I agree with Scott. $99 at Home Depot. Can’t go wrong with Makita quality.

The router used with the Futures One Pass Bit/Kit is not a plunge router. It is what’s known as a laminate trimmer.

fwiw… CPO refurbished they are 75.00 and carry the same warranty as new.

Also look at Amazon. All 3 we have were “Open box” we got one as low as 48.00 the other 2 were in the low 60’s.

What a man I missing here?

It seems that with the single pass bit you go to one depth and make a straight cut?

Doesn’t seem like it would be too tricky to make a jig for any router to make a straight pass with.

Enlighten my ignorance please (I’m stuck in the past with the flip/flop jig for futures)

Still don’t get what I’m missing.

One straight cut.

On the stringer they suggest routing in 1/8" deep increments, which is just loosening your hand to allow the router to drop down in the slide. Otherwise, it is as you suspected: one straight cut.

The one pass bits would easily allow for alternate jigs and routers, it is the slide that forces the use of a compatible router.

I thought about getting just the bits. Between being a Futures newbie and wanting all the accessories, the kit seemed the right way to go. The kit without the router was a bang-for-buck better deal than just the bits. I already had the ‘clone’ router, so I just ordered the ‘w/o router’ kit from Lowel.

I can understand why the pros would not mess around and respect the advice given from their perspectives.

I am happy with being able to use a router I already had and having a legitimate kit.