Import taxes for Thai boards to the US

Hi guys,

No worries I’m not talking about thousands but about maybe 12 boards that I would like to ship from Thailand (where I build them) to L.A. .

Anyone knows something or has an idea where I could find informations about what fees and/or taxes, what documents are necessary, etc…?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Thank you

d

I’m sure you could get better info from any shipping company working in Thailand.  Right now there are big back ups in Shipping as LA Dock Workers are on a work slow down.  

I should think if you Google “COBRA” surfboard factory Thailand or possibly GSI (Global Surf Industries).

Start here:  http://www.cobrainter.com/key-contacts-xidc79302.html

Yeah once you get that figured out should be no problem shipping a 40’ container chucked full of cheap Thai boards built with cheap Thai labor.  Check out the possibility of manufacturing in China.  They are our(US) most favored trading status partner.

guys this bloke lives in phuket… surfs all the time and makes his own wooded skin boards with eps and epoxy… he has only shaped maybe 100 boards and has made some nice ones… he procably has some custom orders to ship… he is not threatening any of you who make boards for a living trust me, he is actually living the dream compared to you guys working in offices in usa…

…so how some one obtain a Visa to live there to follow that dream?

Most countries do 3 months Visas so let me know how to and I go, no problem…or cut the crap.

sorry reverb I don’t know his personal details… I’ve met him at the beach a couple times… And seen some of his customers boards. Probably has a Thai wife…

I didn’t get that he was being disrespected by any of the responses.  

I meant mine in earnest.

The reality is that it is difficult to get one’s product to a worldwide market, that being said with VAT’s Duties, Customs expectations, and the like… plus you have to plan for the worse and learn how to pack them bullet proof as they will most certainly be mishandled by people world wide.  

Even then, when the boards reach your customer(s) there is no certain guarantee that the business will develop into continued growing orders for the future.  A prime example is the 18 boards I sent to Zaks in Melbourne with no reorders since then, even tho’ people emailed me loving the boards.  Such is life.

I can say this, because I live it.  Sone guys fantasize about sending their boards all over the globe, but in reality, it can be a thankless gutbuster with minimal reward.

Just get a good agent, or talk to people already shipping from the same area as to who they use that gets surfboards from here to there in one piece for the best price possible.

The whole scene is a dream.  But why not get shipping advice from the guys at Cobra.

Thanks a lot for that Dave :slight_smile:

I didn’t know how to explain it to who felt treatned.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

But actually I made over 200 boards now :wink: still in 5 years :smiley:

david

Hi guys,

Thanks you for the time spent, advising or commenting.

As Dave said I am living the dream in thailand, building a fe w surfboards a month for happy locals, expats, travelers and now slowly for people who’ve heard of me through one of the board I made, spreading like seeds a bit all over now. Nothing dangerous for anyone in the industry for sure and for long as I am not dreaming about getting bigger.

Regarding my status here it’s a non-immangrant Business visa that allow me to be here, stautus that I get through the company I’ve set here in thailand a few years back. A bit of a hassle to set but not very expensive (i did it so…) but nothing close to what it would be in EU for a similar thing.

As for the shipping and taxes, what could find online it looks like there are no taxes or fees on surfboards but I would have to pay some harbor fees which look really reasonable.

The guy who sounded so amped to help me for that in LA disappeared so the project is on hold for now even if “many” people would like an elleciel board in Cali. 

Thanks again to you all.

Cheers,

david

PS Cobra hasn’t been very keen in sharing anything so far. They are talking BIG only I guess.

“PS Cobra hasn’t been very keen in sharing anything so far. They are talking BIG only I guess. - See more at: http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/import-taxes-thai-boards-us#new

Here’s one reality I deal with getting boards to different destinations for customers. It’s good to have an experienced shipping broker agent that can flesh all this stuff out for you!

Sorry double post.