Wood removal

Sorry if this comes off as basic and in the wrong thread as I am new to shaping and checked the beginners thread where it said I should go but the planing thread di not work. I’m shaping a paipo using 3/4" CDX plywood. I’m stuck in the process of making the hull because my tools are limiting me. Hand planers get clogged when you plane this CDX, I used a grinder for a good chunk but it wont go any deeper(got about 1/4" down and got a little more to go), and my sander (which will take forever if I carry on with it) or using a chisel (not sure how clean it will be, never used it on ply). Thanks and ready for the criticism

Plywood doesn’t get much crappier than CDX but whatever.

Your sander, if that’s your only choice, will work fine with 40 grit.

Chiseling CDX will just make you mad and screw up your chisels.

Here’s the tool I recommend

FWIW

I make and ride wood paipos.

Plywood

Plywood with cork deck

drooling. thanks man, especially for the pics and tool suggestion but whats it called? will the hand planes work well on 1/4 or 1/2"?

Yes, but only IF you keep the blades sharp.

that tool is called a shinto rasp, or shinto saw rasp.  It comes in a couple different versions, costs about $25-40 US, and they are on Ebay all the time if you can’t find one locally. 

The dimension of the wood has nothing to do with it.

Plywood is tough on plane blades because of the glue. And CDX has heaps of glue.

Like Maestro Bill said you have to keep the plane blades really sharp but they dull very quickly on plywood especially crappy stuff like CDX.

I only use my planes on plywood edge grain. 

Get the Shinto rasp with the offset handle. It allows you to work in concaves like the one on the green board.

And next time get something better than CDX. Nasty splintery shit.   

took an nearly an hour to sand a 6"x12"x1/4" patch…

Hello Patgeds22-

Have you tried one of these coarse grit flap wheels for an angle grinder?

I hope your project turns out nice.-J

With what grit?

I have to ask…

What are the intended dimensions of this paipo you are building?

CDX has to be just about the worst choice of materials one can imagine. It is typically used as sheathing in building construction and is not much use for anything else.

You would have been better off using solid lumber, even if you had to glue two pieces together to achieve the desired width.  Probably would have cost less, too.

In most situations I would say you are correct sir but me and pops run a framing crew so it was just scraps… Got scraps til I die

In most situations I would say you are correct sir but me and pops run a framing crew so it was just scraps… Got scraps til I die

So what grit did you spend all that time on…

the grit was not 24,

lets start with a new 24 grit

ahhh lets call it 24 GRIT.

grind any thing in a hurry 

with 24grit.WARNING;

dont mistakenly touch it

to your jeans while the grinder is

running … it goes through

to your tender flesh 

beneath the jeans

see this scar on my leg.

…ambrose…

clamp the plywood

to a sawhorse

yea just got finished using a concrete grinder, wicked effective

its like 46" long, 15 at the tail and 21 at the widest part (15"from nose)