Glassing With Jack Reeves Part 1

If you’ve been around long enough, or enjoy high quality board building, then you might know who Jack Reeves is. Either way, here is a little interview and lamination video we did. More color work videos with Jack to follow. Enjoy!

Wow that just made my day, thank you! So much information just from watching him work, a true master of his craft! 

…hello, regarding the flip up; that s an old technique that s not really necessary in modern times with premium fiberglass. Even with 7.5 oz fibers.

In the bottom lam is useless.

He s accustomed to do that so its fine for him to do it always and that s right.

Classic

Jack Reeves master

Flip?

Way I knew it (then)

D size

Yeah I’m cheap enought and silly enough

to have done it

back to the water fall…

Thankz

Excellent :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks for that fiberglasshi.

Particularly liked the “Clear Lamination with Jack Reeves” clip; it’s a real pleasure to watch that guy work.

Cheers!

For as long as I can remember, I have known Jack Reeves work and I have to say that every single board that I have ever seen with his initials on it has been perfect. His quality is that good.

As always Fiberglass Hawaii post the best Videos,showing how the masters creat magic.  

Maybe do something with Ed Searfoss next? I read somewhere that Ed helped get Jack into glassing on the East Coast back in the 60’s and they came to Hawaii together. Not sure if it’s true, but Ed is another good glasser.

I think the one big positive to his technique is a LOT less resin being used. If you’re on a budget this technique can save you money on one of the most expensive materials in the glass shop…

…that technique is a pain in some situations like for a rookie.

I’m a novice for sure. I just laminated a 11’6 and 10’6 and had plenty of resin left over in from the 60 ounces I started with. Doing the waterfall method I would have needed a lot more resin.

If FGH wanted to do more videos close to home, all they need to do is spend a day @ Bob Haakenson’s. Bob has spent half a century (like Reeves) doing the best glass work around. The vast majority of C.I.'s were all glassed @ Hawk’s during Merrick’s meteoric rise to fame. His glass shop still does their fair share of C.I.'s on a weekly basis.

Yater, Wayne Rich, P.J. Wahl, Bob Duncan, Merrick, Parmenter, C.I., Jon LaLanne, Tim Bowler, myself and other discerning shapers still use Hawk as our go to glassing resource.

Whether you need Polyester, Epoxy, Vinylester, CarbonFiber, S Glass, Warp Glass, etc. the crew cares about what they do, and they do it right and they do it on time.
Efrain, Bob’s primary laminator, came to me seeking work decades ago, and I spent the time teaching him all my glassing techniques. After years with me @ The Surfing Underground, he went on to Chuck Ames (True Ames) doing fins then eventually to Bob’s place. Efrain can glass 20 surfboards a day all perfect. Hawk told me he’s the best laminator he has ever had.

Hats off to ALL the guys in the trench, whether it be glassing, sanding, polishing, painting, routing, whatever.

If you use the waterfall method, and do any appreciable kind of volume, you might want to take note of Hawk’s racks with the resin catching aprons… it’s a helluva lot easier than tearing the floor up every so often.

…best glass work are done by 4 guys in France; 1 in Japan and there in California there are many fine glassers; best work I have seen from California: works made by M Miller; Villalobos, Martz.
There are couple of guys doing good in Aussie land and Portugal but still not at the same level.
In Brazil I have seen the best glosses without having gloss resin.
I had have it on my hands boards from all those guys and many many more to compare between them and with my work.

I’d love to see Fiberglass Hawaii do more videos. For a while there they were doing them regularly and then they stopped.

Grant(don’t know his last name is). Got them up to speed finally just a few short years ago. He’s done a good job. Lowel