[SBC] Better late than never, Zourite #2.

Hi everyone,

I thought i could get this started much earlier but… Well SBC is not over yet so here is my littme contribution.

The plan was to make a simple and possibly “funny” board for small to medium waves -> I made a roundish template 5’10 * 20’ 1/2" * 2’ 5/8", quite thick and wide board, in order to support me ^^.

Finally got a free WE so…

Welcome in my tool-storage shaping-shack:

DSCN1117

After some planning, I obtained something I liked:

DSCN1120

DSCN1122

Time for some surform and 40 grit sanding screen to get evrything leveled:

DSCN1128

My bottom “design” is flat from nose to mid, a double concave starting in the last third of the board with max depth around the fins and finishing into V at the tail.

I hope it’ll give the board a bit more manoeuvrability in medium waves and I wasn’t sure a flat to V bottom would be usefull on a small board like this one.

You can give me some advices here or critics cause bottom contour is not easy to get right… or even to understand (cf. spiral-V thread).

DSCN1127

Rail are 50-50 @ first third, the a bit down in the mid part to boxy @ tail. I think it’s quite classic even if my realization is not as nice as it was upposed to be in my head.

Fine sanding is 180 sanding screen.

DSCN1131

DSCN1130

DSCN1132

For glassing, I wanted a light green bottom and clear top.

I use art dry pigments as base color that I mix with a small amount of resin to create a “resin-based” paste I can directly use in my lam resin.

To avoid lumps as much as possible, i filter the pigment + resin using very thin nylon fabric before putting it in a jar to storage.

The yellow one is done, green is prep’d for filtration.

DSCN1136

One pigments are ready, it’s time to swich the room into glassing-mode:

• glassing stands

• top lights

• plastic sheet on the floor

DSCN1135

Tape on top for the cutlap… Layer of 6 oz and it’s a go:

DSCN1137

DSCN1139

I made 6 oz bot and 2* 4 oz top. The results is not that bad for a 2nd one. I get a bit more confident on the glassing part but it’s definitly the most difficult !

DSCN1141

DSCN1142

DSCN1143

I made the hotcoat sunday’s afternoon. Probably sanding tonight …

See you soon for updates.

Z.

Lookin’ good Zourite!

You’re not late at all. The deadline is June 21

Nice work!

Absolutly love the shape!

Oh, plastic on floor = slip and slide

yeah?

Sand a sand

Hi,

thanks for the comments guys.

Plastic floor is better than resin on the concrete floor :slight_smile: !

After just 2 boards I fully understand why pros have a tub collecting dripping resin… walking around the board with sticky shoes or feet is not the best sensation ever. Well, at least with the plastic I don’t have to clean the mess, simply change it when I’m done.

Glad u like the shape !

Z.

Hi.

Back to end this little board just in time !

After some sanding and a bit of polishing, here is the result for this little 2nd board:

Code name: The sleeper (nickname for Chameleon in Reunion island, where I come from).

Top_2

BotJPG

Deco

TailBot

Some things were easier and quicket comparing to board #1: shaping, use of the planer, getting rails down, hotcoat and gloss coat.

Some were a bit loose and messy : glass job (wetting quickly and fully is still a pb) + sanding.

I have trouble sanding the hotcoat to get a smooth and regular surface, I made the mistake to insist on small bubbles and did a little delam’ cause the glass overheated… I’ll have to practice more…

Thank you all for all the knowledge and experience you share on Sways ! This is a great community !!!

Z.

Nice work!

For #2

Shaping good enought (better than most deserve @2)

And’ll got the job done and nice fun shape.

I take it you be the glasser.

Miles ahead

Tinted lams are an art!

And I’ll bet you leaned a ton.

Pin lines damn cool

Bust, I already voted…

#3!