passing of Dave Sweet

I remember when EVERYBODY bailed on their balsa boards to get a “Sweet”…That was when I scored my first board $40.00 Velzy Jacops balsa cause nobody wanted em anymore because this other guy had FOAM…BAMM the whole thing changed. I hope the younger guys do not go “who was Dave Sweet ?” Never met him too bad.

i just read that Dave Sweet passed away. I used to take my dogs to a dog park in Santa Monica where Dave and I become very good friends. He was so humble that I had no idea he was a surf board legend. He would faithfully bring a large urn of coffee to the park each day.  He adored his dog Heidi and was beloved by everyone there.  He was also a master gardener.  The grounds of his house were magical.  Frog ponds and magical landscaping everywhere.  The house itself was very simple and rustic-- much like Dave himself.  I lost touch with him when I moved.  As someone who knew Dave rather well, I can tell you he was one of a kind-- a very special kind.  RIP my dear friend.

I wanted to be sure that no one misconstrued my comment about Dave being simple. He came across as a simple and humble person, but underneath that veneer lived a very complex, ingenious man. I feel honored to have known him. 

Thank you for your posts!

I would not be who i am without a certain humble, ingenious man and foundation stone of modern surfboards.

Many Blessings and Aloha!

Thank you, whoever you are, for giving me the opportunity to express my feelings about Dave. I know he would be so grateful to hear that he was so important to you. Aloha!