Sunnyround , 5'6" 19.3" 2.3" (fixing lots of stuff ups could be good for a laugh for you)

79 posts |
Last post
sk8ment's picture

Another project thats been on the go for a bit.

Getting there.....

There are a few stages I havent included cause the pics are not available at the moment; Hot wire, machining profiling, hand shaping the squared of rails and concave.

The squaring off the rails was finished with a surform and sanding block.

The western red cedar has come out of my house, and still has a date with my thicknesser before I get ready to cut them to shape and laminate them on.

I have some 2mm ply that may  become the skins if i can't be patient enough to make up skins from the western red cedar.

johnmellor's picture

Hi sk8ment -

Nice job.  Your shape looks good to my eyes.  

How the heck do you manage cutting the thickness on your bandsaw like that?!  No fence or jig?  Are you simply eyeballing the whole deal or what?  

Where do you live?  I have a thickness planer.  I also have a bandsaw but I haven't had much luck cutting thickness from a plank... even with a jig.  I'm a klutz with a bandsaw.

sk8ment's picture

I'm on the sunshine coast

Queensland Australia 

There is a fence on the left of the planks. It's a high school bandsaw.

@reclaim_surf formerly Skatement

(Adam) Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

johnmellor's picture

sk8ment wrote:

I'm on the sunshine coast

Queensland Australia 

There is a fence on the left of the planks. It's a high school bandsaw.

Yep - I see it now.  I'm on west coast of US so can't help with thickness planer.

sk8ment's picture

Thanks btw.

chrisp's picture
Lookung forward to this one!
newschoolblue's picture

Nice shape!

sk8ment's picture

Went to get the thicknesser out this arfternoon, but the plug is a 15 amp plug and i only have a 10 amp extention lead;(

Bit of electrition work when i get a chance would be good.

Sparx45's picture

Go man....Go!!

sk8ment's picture

got inspired and shaped a blank from scratch to be the same but just straight foam and epoxy, also maged to machine the cedar for the rail strips today.

more pics in a bit.

sk8ment's picture

more pics and i built  alittle glassing stand to clamp to my saw horse.

johnmellor's picture

FWIW - here is how I do my cedar strip compsand deck skin inlays...

First I gather a bunch of strips of appropriate length, then run them though the thickness planer to adequate thickness (it won't be as thin as veneer - maybe closer to 1/8".)  Then I lay the pieces together on a table and tape all the seams before flipping over, laminating a sheet of fiberglass to what will become the inside, and vacuum it down to a vacuum table.  On this board I ended up cutting an outline to fit recessed just inside the parabolic stringers.  It was a good fit but it took some fiddling.  I slapped the shit out of the deck foam with a bunch of nails pounded through a strip of wood.  (poor man's '3D glassing' - HA) Then applied some slightly thickened epoxy to the roughened up inner glass on the panel before placing the panel down on the deck and vacuuming in place.  I also masked off around the outer part of the parabolic stringers to catch most of the goo that got squeezed out.  A simple block plane, a surform and sanding block helped clean up the edges before the deck glassing began. The bottom had already been glassed with a slight overlap on to the wood.  The overlap got sanded down a bit and the deck was glassed to overlap on to the bottom.  

That gets you to a 'normal' laminated board.  Fillcoat, sanding, glossing, etc are per normal.

sk8ment's picture

im making hd foam inserts for the gearbox fins, i tried to spray adhesive the templates on but ;( no go pn the foam.

went good old PVA...

sk8ment's picture

oops i forgot the start of the rail strips for the comp sand version, but  i dont have a pic of it. but i think i have sorted a way to make twice the number of them.

sk8ment's picture

Hope to get a bit of work on this tomorrow, "hope" so.....

sk8ment's picture

got these made up finally...

sk8ment's picture

shit.

the pdf of the gearbox did not print out to scale and after spending quite a while shaping them in profile then thiscknes i routed out the hole in the eps, ent to pop it in and its about 3mm small in length.its like th epdf printed at 95% or something.

sk8ment's picture

the offending inserts, i may just make some out of some pu foam and try that.

sk8ment's picture

Bit of progress and a big stuff up. Fixable and lucky i was planning a fabric inlay over the fin patch anyway....

So i scored so free Hd foam

Marked out from the boxes, made an afternoon of hand shaping them.

Then got to routing out the holes, and STUFFED UP, i had one marking out mistake where i had put a line in half an inch too close to the middle, (stupid inches), and of course in ultimate retard fasion i routed out to the wrong line......

But i have the Hd inserts glued in and a foam insert to shape and glue in and shape down before i can glass

I did get a little block of eps the other day..... enough to tide me over for a few board projects i think;)

Stop! Hammer time!

jrandy's picture

It happens.  My last board has one of those fin box routing repairs, the jig slipped and instead of stopping I just kept routing. I used clear epoxy and EPS for the repair, the white HD inserts from Gearbox,  and white tinted resin to set the boxes. The top of the board had been glassed in anticiaption of veneer so my routing slip nicked the cutlap and my dorky, too heavy pencil line for the cutlap. If it were not for the missing glass and pencil line the repair would have been pretty hard to see. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build. -J

http://pushheretosavealife.com/ Be safe, have fun. -J

sk8ment's picture

Thanks jrandy

Pics of the fix so far

sk8ment's picture

fix done now just to glass, sand and leash plug.

sk8ment's picture

Did the lam on the bottom this morning, i have come back to find the glass has pulled away from the gearbox fin plugs havent got pics of that yet. Had an issue with a little breeze that popped up as my back was turned;(

jrandy's picture

Did you figure a root cause for the issue with the cloth and fin boxes? Does it look like tenting? I have been cutting slits for relief over fin boxes and small x-cuts over leash plugs before laminating in an effort to get the cloth to lay flatter in those areas.-J

sk8ment's picture

Tenting sounds about right. I will have to put a fin patch over everthing after i sand them back.

;(

Feels good under the arm. Hope the double 6 with 6 on the bottom is enough to give it some strength.

I attacked the really bumpy freelaps with the surform, will give a good sand to make sure the top lam sticks to the rails and laps.

Got these million little bubble all over it. from when it heated up when i went out.

The slits sound like the go.....

Woudnt have helped that i had a fabric inlay under it. the resin was just too runny and ran away from the boxes. next time ill do the slits. my epoxy is just a standard and took a long while to turn.

jrandy's picture

Sorry to hear this one's been trouble, I hope you don't feel like your being 'called out' by my comments. I'm in the process of fixing a large operator error problem myself and then my next step is HD inserts and the like.

Would it have worked to the the inlay before routing the holes?

Have you tried doing the custom covers on the Gearboxes?

-J

sk8ment's picture

Dude I love the fact that you feed back.
I’ve only made a few boards.
this is the first one that has been totally independent, nevr done a fabric inlay on a surfboard before, done em on skateboards heaps. only used gearboxes one other time. any suggestions are gold. 

sk8ment's picture

did the bottom lam yesterday, did thebigest laps i could as there is no stringer, messy as butnothing a really good sand before filler wonnt fix. and i have to do a solid fin patche after that to make uo for the nasty tenting issues..

pics later, or maybe just a little bit depends onhow motivated i am.

sk8ment's picture

Yes i got motivated,,,,,

I've gome MEGA laps to make up for the lack of stringer and the light EPS.

My free laps are messy as......

The epoxy seems to stay liquid for ages, and flow around the board, kinda capilliary action and leaving HUGE drip marks. I don't have any pics of my terrible free laps yet, I'll see how I go.

Fast set hardner next time I think.

sk8ment's picture

As i said the free laps are bad, and they seemd to get worse as the board was curing. i have the disks and sanding pad sorted for my sander and hopefully get to sand today or tomorrow, then its leggie plug and filler coat.

And i think i may have to do a bit more on the little fix around the fin "tenting issues".

jrandy's picture

Sk8ment...props for sharing your troubles.  Let us know how it goes, hoping for the best. -J

sk8ment's picture

It should come good I think. Feels good under the arm.

A great man once said to me, ("Geoff Moase of dovetails surfboards" who left us too soon just over a year ago now), "the mark of a craftman is how you deal with your mistakes, How your learn from them and how you make them part of the finished product."

Considering all the mistakes I make I must be a master hahahah.

sk8ment's picture

Never doing a fabric inlay over fin area again..... there will be pics later.

Just not sure if i should include the after the sand back and before the "fix" shot...

yorky's picture

Hey mate,

biggest smile on my face reading your build threads. But, this post cracked me up... I here ya.

Cheers :)

"If it wasn't for the ocean, I wouldn't be here"
sk8ment's picture

before and after lap and pre filler sanding.

and the horrible reality of the fin box tenting, fixable but UG AH LEE!!!

Lessons Learned!

jrandy's picture

So, what's next? Sand down the boxes a bit more, dig out the loose stuff, fill in the pukas, tape off the box and grub holes for patches of clear glass and resin over the boxes? Or are you thinking of something different, like some fabric or color to blend things in a bit? Curious to see the results. -J

sk8ment's picture

i have a cunnning plan sire!!!!!!

it will be clear to show of the glory of imperfection haha.

already cleaned it out with a compressor.

will get the boxes as level as i can (as in the tail of the board a little higher on the rack to stop the resin running out of the bubbles), tape them up, fill the bummles with resin, put a patch of 6 oz over each box. Then wet out the patch then sand. then on with the filler coat...........

thats the plan anyway.

sidiabed's picture

Hey mate, I'm far from being able to give advice on here, but maybe try to get your glassing stands higher? I kinda adapted my shaping stands and for glassing my boards are ~nipple height. makes it easier to see the laps and cut those loose strands before the resins kicks so you might save yourself some sanding.

If this is bollocks, just ignore my remark haha. Just had a feeling I'd need my boards higher up for glassing than for shaping them. 

sk8ment's picture

All good mate I like the idea. If I make another set I'll go higher. Can't wait to sand cause then it's surf time.....

sidiabed wrote:

Hey mate, I'm far from being able to give advice on here, but maybe try to get your glassing stands higher? I kinda adapted my shaping stands and for glassing my boards are ~nipple height. makes it easier to see the laps and cut those loose strands before the resins kicks so you might save yourself some sanding.

If this is bollocks, just ignore my remark haha. Just had a feeling I'd need my boards higher up for glassing than for shaping them. 

sk8ment's picture

Had to put a patch over the fins cause they had major bubbles under the fabric. Never do in a fabric inlay over fins again. How's tha back yard glassing bay.
The bit of bug in the top coat ads to the charm.....
The bubbles were 100% my fault, not the gearbox plugs. They worked a treat last time. I just should never have walked away from it. Or I should have paid better attention. I definitely know how to stop it next time. lesson learned.

sk8ment's picture

couple more

and one from the kitchen window hahah

bugs dont like the blue, but they love the green

jrandy's picture

Sk8ment- solid rework, pleasant garden. It all looks good from here. -J

sk8ment's picture

Yew, so keen to sand then surf it.....

Thanks man.

Adam

sk8ment's picture

Never ever ever ever ever doing a fabric inlay over pre lam fins boxes again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sk8ment's picture

Just a wet and dry sand and wax on!!!!!!

sidiabed's picture

That looks really nice. Might try some other materials too on my next boards. 

gdaddy's picture

You'd have been okay with the finboxes had you just done them after the fabric instead of before.    

sk8ment's picture

Its had the wet and dry and the pro finish now.

Feels so good under the arm.

Its 2.75 kg, not bad for the 2 6 oz on top and one 6 on the bottom.

Monkstar1's picture

Those fins look fun and that inlay fabric is really cool looking.

Send me your dinged, damaged, and yellowed.

BackyardBullard.com

sk8ment's picture

Thanks man!

sk8ment's picture

Well i did a little arty versin of the antishark stripes. hahaha

I have surfed it once.

I got back into the other one which is the same shape, as much as it can be with the machine i have used..... (read back to see what i mean)

Its gunna have the parabolic stingers of cedar and pu foam rails.....

Pages