Aloha no, Vinney Bryan

From Tom Morey on Face Book: Tom Morey: Vinny Bryan passed into Abha kingdom last night. The single most innovative board builder I’ve ever known. A great Kauai North Shore icon whom tragedy repeatedly blugened. May God bless his sweet soul.

Peter Pope Kahapea I took that photo of Vinney down at BlackPot Beach in Hanalei after I had come in from surfing. I had noticed the “Paipo board” and was making comment on it as I was drying off. Mentioned to Vinney that as a kid, I used to body surf and Paipo board out at “The Wall” in Waikiki. We started “talking story”, and I found out that Vinney had the first surfboard shop up in the central coastal area of California around San Luis Obispo called the Central Coast Surf Shop. Hell, I had known Vinney for some years and had never known that. Again, looking at this red, single fin’d paipo board I had asked him how long had he had it and he said, that he had gotten it back some years back from a friend, that He, had given it to decades ago back in San Luis Obispo. The Friend, kept and rode it for years, married, had kids and then gave it to his son. I guess the son kept it, rode it some and then put it in the garage or under the house and it was forgotten. The Dad, some how found it, asked his son what he was going to do with it, the Son didn’t know and the Dad said, “Return it to Vinney. It’s the right thing to do”. I hope I’ve retold this story somewhat in the lines that I remember Vinney telling it to me. I think it’s a wonderful story of a well preserved surfing vehicle that gets returned to the Master Shaper after many decades. My first meeting of Vinney was at a surf contest in Hanalei with bombing 6 foot plus beach breaking surf at Hanalei and most not being able to get out, but getting swept down the beach. Most of us were huffing and puffing just trying to get out past the break. I just happened to get out, catch two waves and won the 50 and over div. Later, Vinney busted out his guitar and started playing beautiful Hawaiian melodies back off the beach, up on the grass area, drinking beers and singing. And in the old Vinney Bryan way, he leaned over and mentioned, “waves wen kick our ass today brah”. MAHALO to Tom Morey and Robert Sweney for posting this. Aloha Noooo, Vinney Bryan. Aloha nooooo, My Friend.

Aloha Peter, Thank you so much for posting this about Vinny. We were both long time times of a great surfer, board builder and Musician. No one informed me of his passing until I saw a post on Sausen’s page. I knew he was in bad shape and donated to his fund but obviously he was beyond help. I myself am having a hard time and have decided to not ruin what quality of life I have. No more cancer but my lungs are giving out and I am on oxygen 24/7 and because of that I may not get back to Kauai till my family brings my ashes to be scattered at the Bay. Damn you would think with all the deep breathing we do when paddling that our lungs should be like iron but they are draining fluid from around my right lung twice a week. Take care and never stop surfing, it may be what keeps you alive. Your brother, Wildog

Just saw this and sorry to read it Mike. I imagine logging in to Sways may not be high on your list of things to do but we do miss you here. All I can say it’s nice when you do drop in.

Take care, Jon

Eh Kokua, so sad to hear about your health. I miss seeing your posts as well. I’m glad you logged in to say hi. Your aloha was infectious here and we could certainly benefit from more aloha.

May God bless you and watch over you, Harry AKA Sharkcountry.