Max Wettland R I P

Max Wettland south african surfing legend passed away a couple of days ago , he was  a member of the founders  of the longest running pro surfing contest in the world , originally called the Gunston 500 in Durban , later known under various other names .  I met Max a couple of times in the 60,s in SA , nice guy , told me where NOT to surf , sharky , thanks Max r i p .

You’re a blessed individual.  Always wanted to meet him.  Lowel

He was also in the original " End less Summer "

Really sad to see this news as I knew him a bit when he lived up here and visited JR a few times with his buddy “Frenchy” Fredericks.

He had a bit of a run-in with one of the locals one time resulting in the local catching up to Max, who had dropped in on him out of frustration as he was paddling around him after every ride and taking off deeper than Max could, and pushing him off his board ala Dora at Malibu.

Clever comments were exchanged but nothing more came of it. It was the only actual physical confrontation I ever saw at the point too.

Max was working on a snowboard concept while here that featured basically two pieces joined and able to articulate back and forth as one leaned to turn. I recall him trying it out on the local ski hills near Vancouver circa 1976 or so.

Obviously it didn’t take off that well.

Condolences to friends and family of Max. I always enjoyed chatting with him and Frenchy when I had the chance.

I’m thinking they pre-dated the next little influx of South African surfers that arrived later and then Max and his family along with Frenchy all moved back to SA.

I’m sure I was told his wife wasn’t keen on living up here and that’s why they went back.

Take care