Hansen Master 8 Information

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and was hoping you (especially Bill T and company) might be able to help me sort out the history of a board I have just uncovered that was given to me about 25 years ago or so.  It is a Hansen Master 8, Serial looks to be 19990 with a pair of dots after it, has the single bolt through box fin.  I would love to figure out what year it is from (I think late 60’s but would love to know exact), who the shaper may have been and then an assessment of the rarity of the board, etc.  Any input and information is greatly appreciated.  Please enjoy the pics attached and let me know if there is anything else I can tell you that may help clarify the origin/history of the board.  Thanks to all!!

Cheers, Matt

8 footer with the Hansen fin system? 1968  Probably late '68

Two dots at the serial number? Fred “Buzzy” Smole

When I left Hansen, in early/mid 1969, to form Surf Systems, board sizes were not yet being noted on the boards.       During my association with Hansen, (1965 to 1969) I never wrote the size on a surfboard.       It just was not being done yet.     I suspect that board is from 1970.        The ‘‘two dot’’ identifier, at the end of the board number, is unknown to me.      Buzzy Smole used two dots, one at the beginning and one at the end of the number sequence.     If I had to guess, my guess would be a fellow named Barry Dell.      He moved into shaping after my departure.     Wish I could be more helpful.

Thank you Bill and Sammy.  It seems like there is a lot of varying information about the years in relation to logos, fins, serials, etc.  I am now very curious about the two dots after the serial as I have seen that now a couple more times when doing some research.  It appears that some people are indeed associating it with Barry Dell so wanted to ask Bill why he thought that (just the dots or something about the board)?  Also, do you have any idea who trained Barry as a shaper?

Aloha Matt,

At the time I left Hansen, Barry was the shop foreman.      Prior to that he was a glasser.        Buzzy Smole had an excellent relationship with Don, so I suspect that Don asked him to show Barry the ropes about shaping.     I never had the opportunity to look at any boards shaped by Barry, so my reaction was to the two dots only.

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for that added info.  That is really helpful and super interesting.  I have spoken to Josh Hansen (Don’s son) and he is going to be speaking to Don about it (thanks to all the information you have supplied which intriqued him) and maybe he will shed some more light on Barry and his progression into shaping and confirm your suspicion that the two dots is in fact related to Barry Dell (which a couple other folks seem to believe as well as I noted in my previous replay).  If anyone else has info please chime in and stay tuned for more once I get Don Hansen’s input.

Thanks again!

Don’t you think that 8 foot is a bit big for a 1970 board? And, didn’t Hansen switch to WAVESET by then?

In general, an 8 foot board in 1970, was a bit larget than average.     However, an 8 foot board represents a 2 foot drop in size, for someone slow to get on the bandwagon, and who is coming down from a 10 footer.       Hansen did start using other fin systems sometime in 1970, but that doesn’t mean this board couldn’t be a January 1970 board, or even a December 1969 board either.

Hi, I have the plug for the 8’ Master. This was verified by Don when I ran into him and his son at the Sacred Craft show in Del Mar over ten years ago, I really don’t think you’ll get any personal feedback from him. He’s moved up to Montana (?)  And left the operations to the next generation. I figured they’d want it for the ceiling of the Solana Beach Shop. So I offered to trade the board for a new 50/50 but he declined. Even though the board is in nice shape. He told me that the skeg was worth more than the board!  So much for an interest in company history from the Founder. The deal still stands- if anyone wants to make that trade, the board is in San Diego.

Pic of Don and the Master Plug. In the picture, you can barely make out the pencil lines on the deck. I haven’t looked at the board in a while so I don’t know who shaped it.

Contact Bird @ Bird’s Surf Shed (also in San Diego), and take the board in for him to see.     He may well make your deal, or he may call me to check it out for him.   Give it a try, eh?

That’s awesome.  I would love to know what all the pencil markings say and if they appear to all have the “two dots”.  How much you looking to get for the board?  I might be interested as it’s an awesome complimentary piece of history to my current board.  Thanks!

Hi,

Next time I’m at my warehouse I’ll take some pics. I have a few collectible boards for sale. Were you involved in the Hansen “Stratoglass” disaster?  lol  I’ve got one.  Most of my boards are going on the block as I’m moving to Panama. I’ll probably just hawk them on the collector forums. I’ve got an 80’s Goldsmith Funboard on SD Craigslist right now.  

Peace

My bad. I thought I was talking to Bill T,  I haven’t gotten this forum wired yet.